OS installed on SM961 NVME drive GAMES on EVO 850 SSD advice

Associate
Hi guys, i'm tempted to buy a 128GB Samsung SM961 drive and have my OS (windows 10) running on that drive and all my games stored/installed on my secondary Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD. I know sata is slower than nvme drives but would playing my games on an SSD as my secondary drive affect the performance of the games in anyway?

cheers

Associate
I run a similar setup, got a 512GB SM951 for my OS & applications, then a 1TB 850 EVO for games

You won't be able to tell the difference as to which drive the game is installed on. To be honest I'm not sure I can tell the difference from when I had the games sitting on a WD Velociraptor (except now there's less noise)

Associate
OP
Isn't there a negative to m.2 drives though...
I'm sure i've read that when they get hot the performances on NVME m.2 drives drastically drops, i heard its quite an issue and ideal to have a fan (if you can) blowing on it?

Associate
Isn't there a negative to m.2 drives though...
I'm sure i've read that when they get hot the performances on NVME m.2 drives drastically drops, i heard its quite an issue and ideal to have a fan (if you can) blowing on it?

I've not experienced any problems during day to day usage

I've seen it throttle back when performing repeated HD benchmarks, but as long as you've got a reasonable airflow in your case you shouldn't notice it

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Question for owners, do you guys notice a big speed difference with these samsung 2000-3000 read m.2 drives over the standard ssds running at 500 read, especially for general windows 10 stuff ?

Just wondering if I should upgrade, currently got a samsung SSD 500 read/writes since everything is speedy as it is, windows takes 15-20 secs to load so no biggy.

Associate
Question for owners, do you guys notice a big speed difference with these samsung 2000-3000 read m.2 drives over the standard ssds running at 500 read, especially for general windows 10 stuff ?

Just wondering if I should upgrade, currently got a samsung SSD 500 read/writes since everything is speedy as it is, windows takes 15-20 secs to load so no biggy.

For general usage I'd say no.

I do notice a difference when pulling data to/from my NAS/servers which are connected via 10GBe (but most home users don't use 10GBe)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
For general usage I'd say no.

I do notice a difference when pulling data to/from my NAS/servers which are connected via 10GBe (but most home users don't use 10GBe)

thanks had a feeling would not notice it much, guess the 2-3 secs it takes to open stuff is not a major difference!

Soldato

Nope

Associate

Probably not worth it. I boot off a 950 PRO in under 10 seconds, but for gaming and general applications there's very little difference between that and my SATA-based 850 PRO. The NVMe drives I think would mainly benefit applications that handle large sequentially-accessed files e.g. video editing.

Back
Top Bottom