Backups are a good idea!

Soldato
Oh dear.

It's cruel to say, but i literally have zero sympathy for people like that.

I remember going through school, college and even uni where it was always iterated about backing up copies of your work. Even being on the blunt end of losing some work whilst at school - thankfully not hugely important but was certainly a lesson learned.

If anything looking at the probabilities of causes of data loss, i would say fire is very low on the list. He could have just as easily picked up a virus, or suffered from a hardware fault.

Don
I can understand somewhat when someone working on a large video editing project or something may not having offisite backups that are always up to date.

But a novel? lol

I'm always very blunt on here when people ask for data recovery help.

"Buy a new hard drive, restore from your backu...."

Hopefully this will help it sink in for other members :)

Man of Honour
I'm normally ask people how they would feel if I erase their pictures on the PCs that are brought to me. The look in their faces until i explain but in a nutshell, that's the risk people take.

I personally have a second internal HDD which mirrors my data only on a daily basis, I then have an external hdd which i update weekly and keep that at work.

Soldato
Many years a go I witnessed a Netware engineer totally loose his confidence and basically had a breakdown after losing a customers data. Didn't test the backup before doing an upgrade!

He switched careers shortly after and I learnt a very good lesson that's always stuck with me.

Soldato
I have a 1TB and 3TB external HDD I back the entire important parts of my PC onto, I use to put my games also onto the 3TB but no point as I can redownload em, unless I'm about to format the whole PC then I sometimes put some on it.

I'd like to use cloud storage for some of my stuff but my upload speed is too slow!

Back
Top Bottom