4TB for NAS - WD reds still the way to go?

Associate
Hi All.

I have an HP Microserver that I use for media storage.

I'm about to increase the storage capacity by adding another drive 4TB drive. are the WD Reds still the preferred drive?

Thanks

Soldato
I have a red in my NAS and it hasn't missed a beat in 2 years, I would go WD again although I know the Seagate ones are also good now.

Choice is yours unless someone here has anymore input over my "Works fine for me" opinion.

Soldato
WD tend to make the more reliable drives, other vendors can be fairly cheaper and you might not see any problems with them. Although i'm quite a believe of you get what you pay for.

Associate
Going by the backblaze report though, you basically settle for a bit less reliability with the reds than say HGST, but at half the price. Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

Soldato
Going by the backblaze report though, you basically settle for a bit less reliability with the reds than say HGST, but at half the price. Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

Absolutely - I always work it from price vs. reliability.

Also speed of course at only 5400 which for some isn't ideal, but for most is more than fine.

Associate
I've got four WD reds in my N54L and have had absolutely no issues. I tend to go by what these guys say as far as HDD reliability.

I would suggest not going by what they say since most if not all of those results are for desktop class hard drives, and this or another company gets a lot of hate since they use desktop class hard drives in servers which is not what their designed for and then puts up these stupid graphs showing failure rates that are highly inaccurate.

Associate
I would only go with NAS rated disks in RAID, they aren't much more and have the necessary firmware tweaks to allow the drive to last longer (head parking) and remain more reliable in use.

I have had 8 x 4TB Seagate NAS disks running 24x7 for a year in a qnap without issue.

Associate
Both my WD 4TB Reds had smart errors a few months within 3 year warranty. Hermes lost and then found one of them (please, don't use Hermes) so both of my current Reds are replaced ones, they are red but the sticker on it is black.. so maybe factory refurbished, they work fine and quiet.

I use WD Greens as backup, one of those recently got 1 single CRC and smart error, so make of that what you will, I can't 100% rely on that drive anymore so don't put anything important on it. Those must be about 3 years old too, but not much power cycle or up time. I'd go reds again, anything with a long warranty, but prices have gone up slightly over 3 years.

I'd like to go NAS 8TB mirror simply to take the noise away from my PC but prices prevent me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom