To SSD Or Not To SSD?

Associate
I am planning my first ever pc gaming build as you may know from my thread in the General thread section & it got me thinking could I build my gaming pc with SSD's exclusively?

If yes is it a good idea & if not why not?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Associate
definately for a boot disk, as for only SSD, depends on your budget and the amount of storage you expect to need and how much the drawbacks of HDD bother you (heat, Noise, Performance) its certainly possible technically if more expensive.

Soldato
SSD are so cheap, there is no real reason for HDDs apart from NAS/server or if you really NEED load of storage.
get 500GB SSD, shall keep you sorted for some time.

it's not only about speed - it's silence, taking less space and being shock-proof.

Soldato
What sort of shock is a gaming PC on a desk or floor going to need to endure?

I'm all for SSDs and I'd love a system that only had SSDs, but realistically they're a lot more expensive than HDDs and with games and media the size they are now, a 500GB one isn't going to last long. A decent SSD as a system disk and for current/most/used games and a HDD or two for storage makes more sense.

Associate
In my opinion an SSD as a boot disk is now pretty much essential. A mechanical disk will make even a fast machine feel slow and vice versa.

Associate
No question, get an SSD.

I thought I'd chuck a couple of games onto a mechanical HDD yesterday as I will play them only occasionally. HORRIBLE load times. I'd forgotten what the old days were like.

Associate
It's about overall gaming experience including loading time, start up time, etc. which is not accounted in normal gaming benchmarks. An SSD is pretty much essential these days.

Associate
I am planning my first ever pc gaming build as you may know from my thread in the General thread section & it got me thinking could I build my gaming pc with SSD's exclusively?

If yes is it a good idea & if not why not?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Depends how much £ you have, if you can afford it YES! :D

If you don't have unlimited money buy an SSD as your boot disk and then a HDD for storage.

Associate
In my opinion, an SSD for a boot drive is pretty much essential now. I have one a 120gb SSD for my C/drive, a 2tb D/drive for mass game strorage, and another 250gb SSD for my most/current played games, and I fully intend to put Star Citizen on its own 120gb SSD when it hits beta. Once you start get used to load times of an SSD there is no going back I'm afraid.

I used to play BF4 and Hardline of a HDD, by the time I logged in the flags were already taken, by players with there game on SSD!

Edit:
In case you didn't know there is a program called 'steam mover' that allows you to swap games from one HD to another, handy for having a smaller SSD dedicated to games your playing, so when your finished playing it you could use 'steam mover' to move it to a large HDD. It's what I do and it works like a charm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom