• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
@ dbmzk1, V-Sync ON is poor, it adds Lag and if you enable Triple Buffering even more issues.

You be wrong about triple buffering. You just posting Internet folklore. Triple buffering was designed in an attempt to reduce input lag and frame drops.

Look it up and not follow what some user says on a youtube guide.

Permabanned
I went by older better guides in past not YT, think it was Anandtech or Guru3d but so long ago.

Triple Buffering is not needed but for VSync ON.

Both of above are not ideal if you MP game Online.

I need or use neither.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sounds like anything in DX will have 'render ahead' "triple buffering" which does introduce lag

But page flipping triple buffering is the best of both worlds?

See the update at the end of that article.

Soldato
Not that much of a saving considering G Sync is here already and proven itself.
The issue with G-sync is similar to the 3D Vision monitors- you buy the monitors not because it is the monitor you want, but it is the one you prefer the most out of the limited choices that would support the feature you want.

If "FreeSync" is going to be a standard features with the new displayport standard, it would mean people would be able to buy the monitors that they actually want AND with the feature they want, rather than make compromise for a monitor which isn't really what they want the most, but have to settle for due to wanting the feature.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Fair enough so looks like triple buffering on openGL is different to directx.

But what I was saying is still the truth why it was invented. Just don't work the same way on dx.

Anyway I don't use it :p

Soldato
The issue with G-sync is similar to the 3D Vision monitors- you buy the monitors not because it is the monitor you want, but it is the one you prefer the most out of the limited choices that would support the feature you want.

If "FreeSync" is going to be a standard features with the new displayport standard, it would mean people would be able to but the monitors that they actually want AND with the feature they want, rather than make compromise for a monitor which isn't really what they want the most, but have to settle for due to wanting the feature.

Good point :cool:

Soldato

If "FreeSync" is going to be a standard features with the new displayport standard, it would mean people would be able to but the monitors that they actually want AND with the feature they want, rather than make compromise for a monitor which isn't really what they want the most, but have to settle for due to wanting the feature.

pretty big if, it is optional so only manufacturers that want to add it (because they get to charge more) will add it, and only to "gamer" monitors, again because they get to charge more

it will be a long time before it just becomes a standard feature on most monitors

Associate
As if choosing a monitor and graphics card wasn't hard enough, now it's going to get even more complicated to decide what I want! Well hopefully at least the competition will help prices.

Soldato
pretty big if, it is optional so only manufacturers that want to add it (because they get to charge more) will add it, and only to "gamer" monitors, again because they get to charge more

it will be a long time before it just becomes a standard feature on most monitors

Pretty bold statement, you got a link to the monitor manufacturers claiming they are going to add a freemium premium?

Are you guessing they are going to charge more as I can't see a manufacturer supplying 2 identical monitors in the same vein as AOC G2460PQU/Gsync AOC G2460PG, they'l most likely only launch one monitor and use Freesync as a selling point.

Unless-

It would be interesting to see how much a G2460PFS would cost, where would that sit in the product stack?;)

Soldato
Some existing screens already have the necessary technology inside, it just doesn't work because of incompatible Display Ports, those compatible display ports have now been standardised, so in theory with a firmware update those screens should be Free-Sync, its a theory, even if there is some truth to it they may only work in that way for videos, for gaming requires a little something extra of some description, apparently.

either way one might not know if one already has one of those screens, manufactures may not tell you, its also not in their interest to give you the necessary firmware update as they would rather you buy a new screen.

Cheers Humbug, But yea, can't see them doing it when they want to sell more monitors but would be nice though if they did. :(

I long for the good old days when you bought a monitor @ what ever res and plugged it in.
Now we have TN/PLS/IPS 60hz/120hz/144hz, HDMI/DP/ DVI + variants/versions , oh and lets not forget the good ol VGA port!!!

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how much it does cost when it's out.
If it's marketed to the end user with the name FreeSync then you'd expect it to be free to the end user. Calling something free because it doesn't cost manufacturers a licence fee seems silly. Surely there might be lots of things that could be marketed as free using that logic.
Isn't that one difference between HDMI and DisplayPort, that DisplayPort doesn't need a licence fee? But if places started selling Free DisplayPort cables for £8.99 I'd question that too, just because there's no licence fee for the manufacturer for them to use DisplayPort doesn't mean it should be marketed to me like that iuf I have to pay for it.

Who cares if it's free to the manufacturers if we still have to pay for it?

Much like Gsync I don't think FreeSync is something I will buy a monitor for. I think I'll wait and see how the market develops. Will Nvidia support 'FreeSync'? Seems unlikely as it'd probably hurt GSync sales if one works on both brands and one is exclusive.
Also, does 'FreeSync' actually work as well GSync? Is it better?

Will it have a negative effect on any games?
Will it still work if we get more and more console ports locked to 30fps because it's easier with new API that make lift and shifts easier and quicker and fps over 30 requires more work?

Permabanned
Sorry but what happened to it being Free? Aka Freesync? :rolleyes:

I knew this would happen anyways AMD were just blowing steam because they are in a bad spot atm. It is the same with the 390X too these monitors were suposed to be out ages ago and free. Now its coming in drips and only 100 less than Gsync.

I bet you Gsync is the superior method too aka you get what you pay for. Sorry i do like AMD and competition but this is getting bad for them. The only upside is at least two vendors now have a solution to getting rid of vsync. But AMD are just showing themselves to be hyprocrites and a poor mans solution again.

Soldato
OP
Sorry but what happened to it being Free? Aka Freesync? :rolleyes:

I knew this would happen anyways AMD were just blowing steam because they are in a bad spot atm. It is the same with the 390X too these monitors were suposed to be out ages ago and free. Now its coming in drips and only 100 less than Gsync.

I bet you Gsync is the superior method too aka you get what you pay for. Sorry i do like AMD and competition but this is getting bad for them. The only upside is at least two vendors now have a solution to getting rid of vsync. But AMD are just showing themselves to be hyprocrites and a poor mans solution again.

Once again I'll say this. Freesync name is because manufacturers don't after pay a single penny to use this technology. Unlike Gsync manufacturer after pay a premium to Nvidia to use that technology.

Now do you understand the naming?

Poor man? Lol so people who use amd are poor? Go away.

Soldato
Once again I'll say this. Freesync name is because manufacturers don't after pay a single penny to use this technology. Unlike Gsync manufacturer after pay a premium to Nvidia to use that technology.

Now do you understand the naming?

Poor man? Lol so people who use amd are poor? Go away.

Actually iirc it wasn't AMD that came up with the name at all, Was a user/reviewer on twitter or something?
Anyone remember this properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom