• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Actually iirc it wasn't AMD that came up with the name at all, Was a user/reviewer on twitter or something?
Anyone remember this properly?

No it was AMD that came with Project FreeSync! Manufactures will be using the Adaptive-sync Name I believe.

But am so Poor I might not be able to buy one :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Once again I'll say this. Freesync name is because manufacturers don't after pay a single penny to use this technology. Unlike Gsync manufacturer after pay a premium to Nvidia to use that technology.

Now do you understand the naming?

Poor man? Lol so people who use amd are poor? Go away.

Wow way to misinterpret the poor mans phrase.

Soldato
Anand, they dubbed it "Free-Sync", that just stuck, it will not be called that once released.

No it was AMD that came with Project FreeSync! Manufactures will be using the Adaptive-sync Name I believe.

But am so Poor I might not be able to buy one :(

Only one of you can be right :)
I'm with Humbug on this one because i am pretty sure it wasnt AMD they just went with the flow

Soldato

Yes that is the definition, but its called a poor mans because it all adds to being cheaper to the consumer ;)
You can get everything in that definition that costs the same as the original and does not get the poor mans tag, they say it as what it is a knock-off, a copy .

I have heard that Bentley is a poor mans RollsRoyce many times.

A-sync and neither Bentley are copies or knockoffs.

And as far as similar, thousands of products are similar to each other and not considered a poor mans alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't give two! about Urban Dictionary.. I read it as I read it.

Deal with it!

Yes but you read it wrongly hence my interjection.

It's not even about Urban Dictionary - that's simply what the phrase means. It's nothing to do with money or affordability.

Yes that is the definition, but its called a poor mans because it all adds to being cheaper to the consumer ;)

That isn't implicit within the phrase. And it wasn't within what the guy said originally. I get your point but Shankly is wittering on about affordability which certainly isn't anything to do with the poor mans phrase.

Edit: of course taken literally it infers that but the phrase to me is always used in a different context.

Alas I digress from the thread... :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but you read it wrongly hence my interjection.

It's not even about Urban Dictionary - that's simply what the phrase means. It's nothing to do with money or affordability.

That isn't implicit within the phrase. And it wasn't within what the guy said originally. I get your point but Shankly is wittering on about affordability which certainly isn't anything to do with the poor mans phrase.

Edit: of course taken literally it infers that but the phrase to me is always used in a different context.

Alas I digress from the thread... :p

It really does not matter when there are comments that blatantly say you are only against etcetera or putting etcetera down because you can't afford it. AMD is the budget brand AMD is this and that and it must be better because it costs more mentality when it has not even been seen yet.

People just seem to hate that others may get something just as good for cheaper so must put it the other down in someway to justify them paying more for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Permabanned
I don't give two! about Urban Dictionary.. I read it as I read it.

Deal with it!

Well i never implied it also just so you know. But AMD normally do inferior versions of products and that is me speaking from experience not brand loyalty because i have none to no one. And what im trying to say is G-Sync is the same you get what you pay for, And im willing to bet on it.

And about the freesync naming, It aint about the cost! It is about all those months AMD spent crying and moaning on forums about the GSync cost as if they had a free versions ready to go. It has been so long people have forgot about how much they dissed it. And in the end only 100 bucks shaved off on thier version? :eek:

Soldato
It really does not matter when there are comments that blatantly say you are only against etcetera or putting etcetera down because you can't afford it. AMD is the budget brand AMD is this and that and it must be better because it costs more mentality when it has not even been seen yet.

But that isn't what was said? So I think it does matter.

If anybody says those things you state then they've lost their marbles but none of those are implicit within the phrase "poor mans" in the context it was used.

Don
I would not bother rusty, everyone knows what it means in the context said. He is just trying to play the victim as if not he would just accept what you explained.

Soldato
But that isn't what was said? So I think it does matter.

If anybody says those things you state then they've lost their marbles but none of those are implicit within the phrase "poor mans" in the context it was used.

First its not a copy its a standard and second if its inferior remains to be seen, but he has not got one to test so what is he going on, oh its going to be cheaper/price so it must be worse, because if it was going to cost more he would not be using the term at all, because the price is the only thing he has to go on atm.

Soldato
Lets hope we going to see either 4K or 3440x1440 with freesync before having an endless stream of 1920x1080/2560x1440 for few months.

I am sick with my Benq2410 where there is no such thing as black

Soldato
First its not a copy its a standard and second if its inferior remains to be seen, but he has not got one to test so what is he going on, oh its going to be cheaper/price so it must be worse, because if it was going to cost more he would not be using the term at all, because the price is the only thing he has to go on atm.

Firstly, be clear that I'm not backing up the reasons behind the use of the term. I'm merely stating what it actually means. So I have no idea what the first bit of your post is about.

Secondly, it appears you don't understand the context of the phrase either. Never mind we'll just leave it at that.

I would not bother rusty, everyone knows what it means in the context said. He is just trying to play the victim as if not he would just accept what you explained.

It appears so. I'll avoid the banging of my head against the wall with this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Firstly, be clear that I'm not backing up the reasons behind the use of the term. I'm merely stating what it actually means. So I have no idea what the first bit of your post is about.

Secondly, it appears you don't understand the context of the phrase either. Never mind we'll just leave it at that.

I understand the context the problem is the facts are not there to back the context up as the product is not out yet and if such term is applied so liberally then you can say that about any product that is offered by multiple brands and tiers when ever it suits us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom