• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD : FreeSync Monitors Shipping in December – Will Cost $100 Less Than Nvidia G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We’ve covered what AMD’s Richard Huddy talked about with regards to Mantle during his presentation at PDXLAN. Do check out the article if you haven’t, as AMD has revealed a lot of exciting news about the scope of Mantle adoption, the public SDK for Mantle and how both Nvidia and Intel can leverage it.
Now we bring you even more exciting news with regards to FreeSync. The resident Gaming Scientist at AMD, Richard Huddy revealed that FreeSync monitors should actually start shipping in December. With market availability between December and January. Not only that but according to Huddy, AMD expects that FreeSync monitors will be approximately $100 less expensive than their Nvidia counterparts.
AMD FreeSync Monitors Will Come to Market Within The Next Two Months – Will Save You $100 Over Equivalent G-Sync Monitors
So just a quick reminder of what FreeSync is. Project FreeSync is AMD’s effort to bring variable refresh rate monitors to market through industry standards and by working with established ASIC and monitor manufacturers. AMD proposed the Adaptive-Sync standard earlier in the year to the VESA body. Which has since been adopted it and incorporated into DisplayPort1.2a.

http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-monitors-shipping-decemberjanuary-driver-coming-december/

Copy and paste FTW

Stunning :cool:

Mobster
Soldato
If its a saving of $100 over Nvidia's equivalent GSync, what is the price difference between a standard monitor and a Freesync one, I am assuming 0 difference as its free ?

Mobster
Soldato
Wasn't it a $15 difference between the cost of the display port..

Do you know why they call it FreeSync??

I'm sensing a focus shift, originally it was marketed as a simple addition adopoted by VESA into the displayport (apologies if I have got that slightly wrong) which would require either very little in the way of outlay or as you said $15. The focus seems to have moved from that and to it now being $100 less than Gsync. This in itself is fine, but I have a feeling focus is on that now as the price difference between a non freesync and a freesync will not be the 'promised'? extra $15

Soldato
OP
Didn't think you'd be that bothered as aren't all yours game already stunning :cool: smooth and you don't notice tearing?

That is true :p

Doesn't mean I not due a Display Upgrade! and I really do want to try this tech out. I also need to move on from 1080p so whats better than upgrading to high res with also a added feature I may or may not like.

What I want from FreeSync is the the zero input lag you get from vsync off and zero stutter.. The tearing I have said it time and time again is there and if I look for it I can notice it... But when I playing a game and I bang into it its not something I ever see... Being the last guy in CSGO with another 4 players the least thing on my mind is screen tear :p

Soldato
OP
I'm sensing a focus shift, originally it was marketed as a simple addition adopoted by VESA into the displayport (apologies if I have got that slightly wrong) which would require either very little in the way of outlay or as you said $15. The focus seems to have moved from that and to it now being $100 less than Gsync. This in itself is fine, but I have a feeling focus is on that now as the price difference between a non freesync and a freesync will not be the 'promised'? extra $15

Free is because it cost nothing to use the tech, Hence "Free" Gsync manufactures must pay a premium to Nvidia to use it Not "Free"

This is why its called FreeSync!

Soldato
Bating of both parties aside, Does any one know what hardware difference/requirement is. Was wondering due to in the vid it was mentioned that one monitor that's already out only required a firmware update.

Soldato
Considering that G-sync costs around £150 more to the end user, £63 less is still a markup of £87.

Not really freesync. A nice-chunk-less-sync :cool:.

And we still don't really know how good it is.

Regardless it will add competition which is good for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom