Are aftermarket bumpers any good?

Associate
I'm in dire need of a new rear bumper for my mk2 mondeo hatch but finding a proper ford one (from scrappy's/ebay etc) is proving to be almost impossible. This is due to my exhaust exit being on the drivers side instead of the passengers like most are.

Am I being silly by ignoring these and hoping a proper one will pop up sometime? I've just got visions of them not fitting properly or not being as strong.

Am i right or mad?

Associate
I got an aftermarket front bumper for my mk1 Focus when I had it. I got it off ebay for £100 inc del and spraying.

The design and fit was exactly the same as the official Ford one and the paintwork was top notch too. Much better than the £400 the local dealer wanted!

Associate
OP
Ahhh it's just any old mondeo with a broken (smashed) bumper. This one is held together by clear tape!! I like to be unique :p

I've checked partsgateway but all the bumpers seem to be new so I'm not sure if they are aftermarket or not, gotta phone them later.

Man of Honour
No, they suck. Get a genuine Ford one.

Yours must be an early 96/97 Mk2 or a V6 if the exhuast is on the right hand side, thought about an RSAP rear bumper instead?

Man of Honour
Clarkey said:
aftermarket ones cant be any worse than the standard ones, can they?

Yes, they are fibreglass mostly. The standard Mondeo bumpers are actually very good, I continually explain why you see cracked ones but nobody ever listens, they just keep repeating the same 'OMG THEY ALL SUCk' rubbish :)

The Mondeo front and rear bumpers are made from flexible plastic with a foam padding layer underneath. This means that your average Mondeo bumper will actually survive most low speed parking mishaps and be completely undamaged - the bumper will flex in if some muppet reverses into you, and flex back out again.

The problem comes with the fact that if you have a proper parking knock, the sort that would knacker any bumper, the Mondeo bumper simply splits. Most Mk2 Mondeo owners now simply cannot be bothered to repair this - and instead just whack duct tape over the offending split. This is why you see so many bodged Mondeo bumpers.

Do the same thing in many other cars and duct tape isn't an option, you pretty much have to buy a new bumper.

I like the way the Mondeo bumper is designed - it meant that when some utter smacktard in a Rover 400 reversed into my car last year, I was left with just a small scratch which was easily removable with Megauirs ScratchX, rather than having to replace the bumper.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
No, they suck. Get a genuine Ford one.

Yours must be an early 96/97 Mk2 or a V6 if the exhuast is on the right hand side, thought about an RSAP rear bumper instead?
Yeah it's an early '97 2l. It's soo tempting to just get the blimmin exhaust moved :p

Thought about getting the whole RSAP kit but it's just too expensive really, and the rear one on it own would just look silly.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
The Mondeo front and rear bumpers are made from flexible plastic with a foam padding layer underneath. This means that your average Mondeo bumper will actually survive most low speed parking mishaps and be completely undamaged - the bumper will flex in if some muppet reverses into you, and flex back out again.

The problem comes with the fact that if you have a proper parking knock, the sort that would knacker any bumper, the Mondeo bumper simply splits. Most Mk2 Mondeo owners now simply cannot be bothered to repair this - and instead just whack duct tape over the offending split. This is why you see so many bodged Mondeo bumpers.

Who ever hit me must have did it flipping hard. My bumpers not just split, it has hole in it from the light clucter to the exhaust, even smashed the cluster. :mad:

You're the local mondeo expert Fox, best place to find a real bumper?

[TW]Fox said:
I got mine moved to the side yours is on :p
You're just wierd then :p

At least if I ever do get RSAP I won't have to move mine.

Man of Honour
Gentwee said:
You're the local mondeo expert Fox, best place to find a real bumper?

Breakers yards, ebay, or MEG. I cannot believe you cant find one in a scrappy, Mondeos are everywhere although I guess the fact you are pretty much limited to V6 Si and Ghia X bumpers in quantity makes it hard - dont forget to try and buy a structurally sound but really scabby one, 'cos it'll look like brand new when its sprayed.

You're just wierd then :p

At least if I ever do get RSAP I won't have to move mine.

Thats why mine moved :p

Associate
OP
I only know a few scrappy round here and they are all offering me the aftermarket ones.

And yes the exhaust is whats making it almost impossible to find one :/

Why oh why did someone have to hit the BACK of Telsa's car :p

Man of Honour
A carefully chosen selection of stick on plastic tat designed by Ford to make the Mk2 Mondeo actually look rather decent, rather than bland, as it does in standard form.

main.php

Associate
I had to buy to bumpers for a Mondeo at work a while ago. I got them off ebay, front one from one company, rear from another. Neither were originals, but the front bumper fitted pretty much perfectly, and to be honest you wouldn't know the difference between it and an original. But the rear was terrible! We had to heat up the two "bends" on either side so the ends folded in further towards the rear wings. It wasn't a very good finish either, very slight ripples in it here and there. It really wasn't a good bumper!
The exhaust on mine is the same side as yours. Actually, at some point in the future I might actually get round to fitting the RSAP kit i've got for it - at which point i'd have a spare rear bumper! You'll probably have found one by the time I fit the kit though! :)

Soldato
Gentwee said:
Why oh why did someone have to hit the BACK of Telsa's car :p
I ask myself that too :'(

If you need any bits let me know as im breaking it at the moment.

You should be able to get a V6 bumper which has the o/s cut out :)

Back
Top Bottom