• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD X2 driver and hotfix correct installation

Associate
I'd like to address a problem related to poor gaming performance ppl sometimes encounter when playing games with their new AMD dual core set-up.
This issue is almost always caused by an incorrectly edited AMD X2 hotfix registry and/or not correctly installing the AMD X2 drivers.
I feel now that these AMD X2 processors are coming down in price there maybe more and more people asking why there system struggles to play games smoothly with there new dc processor. We will not see this problem resolved until MS releases SP3. That means we will have to continue using this hotfix and separate X2 drivers until the new service pack is released, so why not make this a sticky and remove it when SP3 is released??

Note: It is also a common misnomer that these AMD drivers are used for Cool'n'Quiet only, this is not true.

OK, this is the correct method of installation for the HF and X2 drivers outlined by MS and AMD.

- It would be a good Idea to back up your registry before you continue.

1 - Install the amd drivers, download it from here

2 - read this website and download the hotfix....READ Here ........Download here

3 - Edit your registry to enable the HOTFIX, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Right-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager, point to New, and then click Key.
3. Type Throttle for the new key name.
4. Right-click Throttle, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
5. Type PerfEnablePackageIdle for the value name.
6. Right-click PerfEnablePackageIdle, and then click Modify.
7. In the Edit DWORD Value box, type 1. In the Value data box, make sure that Hexadecimal is selected, and then click OK.
8. Quit Registry Editor.

4 - Make sure your BOOT.ini has this command in it, /usepmtimer to check, right click on My Computer go to properties, click on the ADVANCE tab, then under startup and recovery click on settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Finally your done!

How to remove the Hotfix and x2 drivers.

1 - Uninstall the Hotfix, go into ad/remove programs, click on show updates and remove update numbered KB896256

2 - Reverse the registry entry.

3 - Uninstall the AMD drivers.

4 - Go into your boot.ini and remove /usepmtimer, and your done.

The Affinity solution

If you continue to have game performance issues I recommend trying out the common affinity solution. It mostly relates to a combination of Cool'n'Quiet or games that have to have their affinity set to use one processor, but you may still have issues with CnQ disabled.

To set a program's affinity to a particular core:
1) Run the game you wish to play; then minimize the window
2) Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to access Windows Task Manager
3) Under the 'Applications' tab, Right Click the game's icon and select 'Go To
Process'
Doing so will take you to the 'Processes' tab.
4) You will notice that the game's process has been highlighted for you. Right
Click the process and select 'Set Affinity'
5) Assign the game's affinity to CPU0 as this is the default CPU core.
Doing so will allow windows to prioritise the game to a single core instead of
trying to distribute the load across both cores.

Hopefully this will help a lot of people struggling with their x2 systems.

Regards

Associate
OP
I said this in another thread.

Hesky82 said:
not all dual core cpu's have this problem though, quite a lot of people with E6 revision cpu's dont seem to have problems (dc opterons and later athlon x2's). Seems a very common problem with early E4 stepping cpus.

Soldato
Yup. I've had my X2 4400+ since release yet no problems. I installed the hotfix about a month ago just for the sake of it but there has been no difference whatsoever.

(However, I did install the AMD driver as you ought to do - adds /usepmtimer to boot.ini for those not wishing to fiddle with theirs).

Soldato
Tim said:
I have to set affinity to 1 core when gaming, XP X64 IS affected.
XP-x64 is not affected. You needing to set affinity is down to the game and it's programming. I don't set affinity on my processor for gaming and it runs just fine. Windows is better at setting these things.

Soldato
Tim said:
Then can you try CoD2 with the dual core patch? I've already emailed MS regarding this. Its the only game I play too:(
Don't have COD2 just yet though I am picking it up tomorrow and will let you know then :). I have Win XP *cough* Home *cough* SP2 fully patched and updated.
EDIT: Just remembered I can't - PC has no processor at the moment - will let you know as soon as RMA replacement gets here though ;) (problem with mem controller not handling 2GB at stock - tried several sets).

I'm on my T41 thinkpad at the second and I don't think that my 7500 Mobility Radeon 32MB will handle it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the hotfix(s) need applying if you are not running cool and quiet ?
From the readme on AMD's site it seems its all cool and quiet related ?

Soldato
NathanE said:
That has nothing to do with this hot fix. That's caused by faulty software, in this case - the game you are playing.

What? The hotfix fixes game stuttering with dual core processors, which is what I want fixing :confused:

Theres a specific patch for CoD2 thats aimed at dual core users, are you saying this is whats causing the problems? Setting the affinity to use core0 only DOES fix my problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tim said:
What? The hotfix fixes game stuttering with dual core processors, which is what I want fixing :confused:

Theres a specific patch for CoD2 thats aimed at dual core users, are you saying this is whats causing the problems? Setting the affinity to use core0 only DOES fix my problem.
Have you got the /usepmtimer fix in your boot.ini as this is the fix for stuttering.

Soldato
You do NOT need to edit the registry to enable the hotfix. Read more carefully. Look at the Microsoft article and read the heading above the notes about editing the registry. Note how it says "How to disable the new performance state policy behavior".

Editing the registry and putting the value as 1 does nothing that installing the hotfix alone doesn't do.

Save yourselves time by not doing this, it's pointless because people haven't read the MS article properly.

With that piece of fluff removed I agree, it would be a useful sticky to have :)

Back
Top Bottom