Tel Number 01234 567890

Associate
I just got cold called by someone, after listening to them say hello in a foregin accent a few times I hung up. When I dialed 1471 it told me that the caller was 01234 567890! Just wondering if anyone knows who that is, I though numbers such as this were blocked by OFTEL as they could offer a competitive advantage.

Soldato
They are masking the number....not very legal, and obviously a company outside the UK (or a UK company that has setup its internal PBX system wrong - but did it knowingly, as most do) - There are loads of companys doing this now, and many sites will even list their phone number as the above (even though cold calling from UK firms can leave them open to prosecution of up to £5000)

If they are in India/Africa etc, they can do whatever they like.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
divosuk said:
They are masking the number....not very legal, and obviously a company outside the UK. There are loads of companys doing this now, and many sites will even list their phone number as the above (even though cold calling from UK firms can leave them open to prosecution of up to £5000)

If they are in India/Africa etc, they can do whatever they like.

Hmmm suspected as much, looks like i'll have to get my trusty whistle out again :D

edit: just found other thread about this, thats the problem with searching, it doesnt work if you cant type :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom