• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problem with new BFG 6800GS

Associate
Hi
Can anyone come up with a solution to the following problem. I have just installed a new agp BFG 6800GS onto a fresh install of windows xp.
every thing works fine untill I come to install the drivers. I tried the ones supplied on the disk and it keeps saying that there is no hardware to support the drivers. I tried the latest drivers straight from the nvidia site and still the same problem.
In device mangager a video controller(vga compatible) is shown but with a question mark and a yellow exclamation mark by it.
There does not seem to be any problems with the image being displayed just the fact that the card does not seem to be recognised therefore the drivers cannot be installed.
I put my old ati 9700 back in and thats fine.
The rest of my system comprises a p4 2.4 on a p4p800 delux mobo with latest bios (1021). WD raptor HDD (bought at same time), a couple of cd/dvd drives and a tagan 530-u15 power supply. I have checked the voltages on the supply and there all fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

andy

Associate
OP
Thanks Marc
That worked a treat, a bit miffed that the drivers they supply dont actually work with the card or am i being a bit naive. In the end used the 83.62 drivers.
Thanks again

Andy

Associate
marc2003 said:
try downloading some beta drivers from guru3d perhaps. i would imagine they will recognise newer cards such as yours.... :)

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Yep - anything from 82.12 onwards should do it.

I got the OCUK 6800GS recently, confidently ignored the supplied driver disk and went to grab the WHQL - only they didn't support the card. Turned out the driver disk had 82.12 beta which was the first to support the agp 6800GS (never before had a packaged driver cd that actually had recent drivers!) :D

Associate
Andy, whats the jump from 9700pro to 6800GS like?

My brother has a 9800 pro and i'm thinking about getting a 6800GS as his birthday present. If the jump up in performance sufficient enough to really be worth it?

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Sclodion said:
My brother has a 9800 pro and i'm thinking about getting a 6800GS as his birthday present. If the jump up in performance sufficient enough to really be worth it?
I've just gone from 9800Pro to BFG 7800GS and it's certainly smoother. I haven't benched it or owt but it holds Flight Sims, CivIV and BF2 in 1280*1024 very well. I guess 6800GS wouldn't be far off.

My 7800GS is a bit pricey perhaps but a worthy upgrade for a final AGP rig.

Associate
I posted this exact problem a few days ago, although the difference in my case seems to be that the drivers supplied on the disc worked for me - turned out to be the 82.12s.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17538964

Hope you are enjoying your new card mate - if you are as lucky as me, you may be able to unlock the extra pipes and quad without much problem! :cool:

Sclodion - if the card is still on offer on OcUK, then yes IMO its defintely worth it! :D

Back
Top Bottom