Maxtor starting to die

Associate
My 6 month old 250gig SATA maxtor is starting to die I think. when copying files to and from this drive, its starting to switch off and on, and make strange grinding noises. Getting loads of windows delayed write errors also.

I've backed everything off this drive and ordered a new drive from OcUK (Seagate this time).

I'm going to send this drive off for RMA, but I am not sure if I send it to OcUK or Maxtor?

Thanks.

Soldato
You can actually send it to either. Maxtor might be better though as they have an advanced RMA service which will allow you to get a new drive without sending the old one back beforehand - handy for copying data off it.

Soldato
My Maxtor has got quite a bit louder in the past 6 months.

Still yet to cause me any trouble but I'm switching to a Hitachi the second it does.

Soldato
Hope you get better luck than me trying to RMA.

Even though my drive has 16 months warranty left they have told me point blank it is out of warranty even though their own website states it came with a 3 year warranty. They are not even honouring their own warranty and have insisted to me that because the drive was mis-sold/mis-advertised part of an OEM batch it is exempt from the 3 year warranty.

Apparently it is common for large hardware suppliers to buy up a lot of HD stock then sell onto the e-tailers distribution channels @ discounted OEM prices when this should not be happening or the price difference should be passed onto the consumer and the limited warranty should also be highlighted.

Did not buy my Maxtor from OCUK as at the time they were all out of stock on the size I needed so went foolishly to another e-tailer who were knowingly mis-selling OEM products but still charging a higher price and offering a worthless warranty.

Like most people I do not look for issues with warranties but buyer beware with Maxtor as they were not helpful to me @ all and even when presented with evidence of my allegations did nothing and did not even want to repair the HD @ my cost!

Back
Top Bottom