Pipex 12m contract & port Throttling

Soldato
If you are thinking of moving to pipex GO or pipex MAX services, then think agian.

There is now a 12month contract and if you decide to leave with in them 12months you will have to pay the 58 pounds fee and the rest of your contract

also pipex have no introduced port throttling

nice timming, as now people have already moved to the new services and now getting stung

pipex have done all this under the noses of the users!

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthr...=2314482&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthr...=2317917&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Soldato
I knew about the silly 12 months contract before the upgrades to go were ready and that was bad enough but now they're port throttling? :rolleyes:

Wtf that's just a big **** take, I thought they had little to no respect for existing customers before but that's just so wrong.

While port throttling is wrong for many reasons i doubt it would have effected me anyway, ill see what options there are in the summer because pipex just aren't very competitive or worth the price these days.

Fully star out swear words please.

Last edited:
Soldato
My contract with pipex is up at the same time MaxDSL *might* be available at my exchange. I will be staying with Pipex.

I am happy for Pipex to port throttle. I only use Usenet and well within Pipex's AUP. Sure Pipex could have been clearer with thier intentions but all ISP's are the same nowadays or will be going the same way.

Soldato
unfortunately this is the way pipex...and the ISPs it owns (such as f2s) now operate, its mostly a pain with anything that is download intensive.

the throttling or packet shaping is most applied to p2p and torrent services, legal or otherwise. some users of "f2pipex" are also reporting throttling of usenet services

...yes im an f2s customer

Soldato
Jamie1984 said:
OT i know but can someone tell me what 'port throttling' is? ta

Port throttling is where the data throughput on a certain port (port 80 if they were throttling http, port 6881 as default for bittorrent and so on) is throttled.

In other words, your data throughput on certain ports is restricted by the ISP

Soldato
TiZoR said:
i dont use a default BT port i use one in the higher range

i still maxing out my con with BT

i download the odd episode.... i dunno if thats legal?

about it

lucky for some i guess, i havent maxed my 2mb connection in any form for quite a while, but then i tihnk my router isnt playing ball atm, the wireless is very sensitive and prone to cut outs

as for legality, guess it depends on the "episode" probably not though

Soldato
Intra-Agnostic said:
I upgraded to the 2mb package yesterday.

And then 5 minutes later i noticed the changes,and phoned them to stop the upgrade straight away.

Caught them just intime.
I suspect ill migrate once i find someone else to go with.

i would migrate but i dont think the excuse "my downloads are slow" will wash down with dad somehow

Soldato
If they've introduced port throttling since you agreed to the 12 month contract and there was nothing in the contract you signed that stipulated they were reserving the right to introduce such throttling at a later date, then they are in breach of contract and you can legally walk away without penalty.

In reality I suspect they've had some small print in the contracts for a while that covers this introduction of throttling.

Soldato
They can't reserve the right to change the terms and conditions in any way they see fit, that would be considered unfair if tested in court.

Basically both parties signed a contract. They can't unilaterally change the terms of that contract yet still expect you to hold up your end, i.e. the 12 month term. If they change the contract they are in breach and you can walk away.

Associate
It is no longer the same service tho, is it? It's like getting someone to sign up to rent a VW Golf giving it to them for the first month of a 12 month contract and then replacing said Golf with a banger imo anyway.

PS: I recommend IDNet and Zen for alternatives.

Caporegime
burbleflop said:
I doubt they specified that they reserved the right to introduce throttling

The problem is that the T&Cs most likely did specify that Pipex reserved the right to take any means necessary to protect their network or prevent users "affecting other users enjoyment of the service" or suchlike.

Expect their throttling doesn't give a stuff what port you use either. As long as the packets look like BitTorrent, they get shaped.
The joys of "deep packet inspection".

Back
Top Bottom