• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1900XTX DVI Output problem.

Associate
Hi people, my first post here. Just to say i havnt had an ATI card since my old 9800pro a couple of years back, and have had various Nvidia (SLI & single card) rigs in between. Anyhow, with the strength and very interesting archietecure of the X1900XTX I thought i'd do a switch and give ATI a go seeing as its been so long.

Anyhow, I got my XTX from overclockers yesterday, and got around to installing it today on a fresh intall of XP. However, whenever I install the ATI drivers (both 6.2's & 6.3's) my display goes blank after the windows loading screen, yet the PC continues to boot into windows.

The strange thing is that if I connect the supplied DVI--->Dsub dongle into the Dsub connection of my monitor (its a viewsonic 20.1" VP201b, and has both DVI and Dsub connections) it works absolutely fine. The card is pulling the right 3dmark scores (11,214 in 05, and 5800 in 06) and seems to be ok.

Now, here is a pic comparing my monitor cable (bottom pic) with the dongle that came with the card (top pic). As u can see the pins are different. However, this is the very same cable I use with my 7800's and works fine with them.

x1900xtx1ab.jpg

So, do u think its the cable thats the problem? Can I ask some of you to check your DVI cables and see which pins you have?

EDIT: I guess system specs might help:

X2 4800+
DFI Nf4 SLI-DR Expert motherboard
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer
X-Fi Elite pro
150gb WD raptor.
Viewsonic VP201b 20" monitor 1600x1200 native res

Soldato
The top one shows DVI-I dual link. The bottom is DVI-D single link. The card outputs DVI-I = DVI-D + DVI-A The dongle uses the DVI-A pins to convert to the D-Sub 15 Pin. So the bottom cable would be used to connect to a single way DVI-D input.

EDIT: Found a guide.

So were you using the DVI input on the monitor before? On mine I have to select the input.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi mate, thanks for that guide... always useful to read up on things!

Anyhow, the bottom cable is the one I am trying and failing to use. I have used it before along with the DVI-D input on my monitor with no trouble at all on my 7800GTX's. Its really odd why it wont work. It produces a signal until I install the drivers.

Yet, the card itself seems fine. When I use the dongle to convert to Dsub, along with the Dsub input on the monitor the card works great. Ive run FEAR, COD2 and some benchies no problems at all.

Do u recon it could be a faulty card?

Soldato
If I'm reading this right you can see the boot screen with the DVI connection? Only you loose it in windows? If that's right its not the cable or card, more like an unsupported resolution or CCC not detecting correctly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
fornowagain said:
If I'm reading this right you can see the boot screen with the DVI connection? Only you loose it in windows? If that's right its not the cable or card, more like an unsupported resolution or CCC not detecting correctly.

Yep, thats exactly the problem. I get the boot screen, but no picture after the windows loading bar goes. I did have a feeling it might be something like this. Problem is, how do i fix it when I cant see anything? Any ideas?

Im not too hot on the Current Catalyst drivers, so tips would be helpful (however seemingly simple!) they've changed a lot since the 9800pro days... LOL!

Soldato
That's an odd one. Maybe boot to safe mode and make the settings? Install a monitor profile from the monitors set up disk? Err... I wonder if you can plug the DVI and VGA in at the same time, one on each output of the card. Two monitors would be the simplest way TBH.

Soldato
Go into safe mode and delete the Catalyst drivers using Driver cleaner. If you don't already have that installed, I'm not sure if it will install from within safe mde but might be worth a try.

To get into safe mode, keep hitting F8 immediately after the screen which says 'Verifying DMI Pool data....' This will bring up a screen with options. select safe mode with netowrking if you need to download driver cleaner and use your wireless or wired connection to do so. Hope that helps. If you cannot use driver cleaner, just uninstall the catalyst drivers.

Associate
OP
fornowagain said:
That's an odd one. Maybe boot to safe mode and make the settings? Install a monitor profile from the monitors set up disk? Err... I wonder if you can plug the DVI and VGA in at the same time, one on each output of the card. Two monitors would be the simplest way TBH.

Two monitors can be done. I have an old CRT here, so I'll see what I can do and post back. :)

Associate
OP
Thank you very much guys! Should have thought of hooking up a second monitor myself. Luckily i had borrowed one from someone, otherwise i would have never solved it. Anyway, I managed to get into the Digital Display properties in the CCC and saw that the 'alternate DVI Operational Mode' was on, so I unticked it, and Bang! It came to life.

The only annoying thing is that this looks like its a default setting in the drivers, so unless they change that everytime i switch drivers im gonna have to hook up a 2nd monitor and turn it off to get the DVI to work :S

Anyhow, thanks again! Im gonna play some games.... :D

Soldato
Thank you very much guys! Should have thought of hooking up a second monitor myself. Luckily i had borrowed one from someone, otherwise i would have never solved it. Anyway, I managed to get into the Digital Display properties in the CCC and saw that the 'alternate DVI Operational Mode' was on, so I unticked it, and Bang! It came to life.

The only annoying thing is that this looks like its a default setting in the drivers, so unless they change that everytime i switch drivers im gonna have to hook up a 2nd monitor and turn it off to get the DVI to work :S

Anyhow, thanks again! Im gonna play some games....

It's not default for current drivers...

Associate
OP
Well, im running the 6.3 cats, and it must have set it as default, cos thats what the problem was, and I couldnt have applied it myself because I couldnt see anything! Oh well, doesnt matter... at least the problem is solved.

Back
Top Bottom