Playstation (2) on a CRT monitor?

Associate
As title - is it possible? (Bit of a no0b question, tbh but I'm well out of the loop these days. :))

If possible, what hardware do I need?

(Card = Radeon 9800 Pro :))

Soldato
If your card has video-in you should be able to get an S-video cable for it and run it through the PC. Quality is generally quite poor as I have yet to find software that can de-interlace it properly. DScaler has a lot of different options but I find none of them really offer decent quality. The other option is a VGA box but I think they can be quite expensive and I don't know the sort of quality you get on them.

Soldato
This question gets asked so many times and I always end up replying.

Basically, if you want to get the same quality picture as you'd get on a TV, forget it, unless u want to pay £200 + for a good quality VGA box capable of upscaling to the monitors native res. Of course, if you have a small monitor with a max resolution of 1024x768 then a cheapo VGA box will work ok, but the quality will be poor and nothing like as good as on the TV because the box won't be capable of upscaling very well.

Playing through your Video card using a program like Dscaler is possible, but again, the quaility is terrible.

If you are mad enough to want to pay £200+ for an upscaling VGA box I can point you in the direction of some.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

It just made me wonder because this is vaunted as a PS2 screenshot...

screen1.jpg

Me thinks not.

Soldato
Probably a high-res native shot from a development PS2. On a related note the PS2 is fully HD capable and some games can be run at 720p :) Just get some component leads and a monitor with component input :)

It could also be a PC shot with quality levels set appropriately to match the PS2.

Soldato
Far too smooth + the textures look too high-res to be a PS2 shot.

Must be either PC/XBOX or developers pushing their luck.

Man of Honour
Boogle said:
/avoids making notions of Sony liking to post better-than-in-game shots for PS2/PS3.

That's what I'd say the story of the screenshot is. Probably them just taking a high-res development shot of the game, to get people thinking wow, those graphics are mega. Like all those GT4 screenshots that made it look amazing, when they were stupidly crisp shots either from the photo mode or from the developers desk taken from a high res source.

Associate
That does look really good for a PS2, Im sure theres something fishy going on, either its 5fps, or its not from a normal ps2 ;0

Back
Top Bottom