Drinking lots of water

Soldato
I have been wondering , drinking excessive amounts of water can do you any bad? i am on a diet which says i must drink lots of it and i just found out i have been consuming sth like 5-6 litres / day.

so?

Caporegime
Dont think anything bad can come of drinking water too much, unless you count going to the toilet every so often a bad thing.
I drink about 2 litres of water a day, gone off coke and other fizzy drinks and if anything its cleaning out my system. Mind you im currently hooked on Volvic strawberry flavoured water....mmmm lovely:p

Associate
Iraklis F.C. said:
I have been wondering , drinking excessive amounts of water can do you any bad? i am on a diet which says i must drink lots of it and i just found out i have been consuming sth like 5-6 litres / day.

so?
Seems a bit excessive to me. I'm not sure of any daily limit but check out this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhydration

"Consuming as little as 1.8 liters of water in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 liters in a person on a normal diet."

edit: Googled a little. Read another one where an athlete got water poisoning from drinking 10 litres a day.

Personally I struggle to drink 2 litres a day, couldn't imagine drinking 10 litres!

Last edited:
Permabanned
iCraig said:
Too much of anything is bad for you.
too true,

Drinking too much water can be dangerous. It will dilute the levels of electrolytes in your blood and surrounding tissue. If your going to drink lots of water its good to drink a drinkw hich contains high levels of electrolytes.

Associate
I remember reading that drink loads of water can send you into a coma (or something like that ).

true fact

EDIT: its called water intoxication and leads to swelling of the brain ><

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
jezsoup said:
too true,

Drinking too much water can be dangerous. It will dilute the levels of electrolytes in your blood and surrounding tissue. If your going to drink lots of water its good to drink a drinkw hich contains high levels of electrolytes.

something like lucozade and likes?

Permabanned
Iraklis F.C. said:
something like lucozade and likes?

Yup yup!

One other thing Ive heard people do is diarhea(sp) recovery sachets. They are basically a load of electrolytes in powder form you dissolve in water. Apparantly cheaper than all the fancy drinks and contain more electrolytes. But again as said too much of anything is bad for you.

Soldato
If you have normal kidneys you will get nowhere near your maximum glomerular filtration rate. You'll feel full first and get fed up of all the going to the toilet. Drinking lots at once can be dangerous, but if you're drinking regularly over the course of the day you should be fine. 2-3l a day is probaby better figure though.

Soldato
The Human body is extremely proficient at flushing out excess water in the blood. If you drink too much water you will more than likely just got to the toilet an awful lot more.

Soldato
6 litres a day is fine....

Most people dont get anywhere near as much water as they should and are constantly dehydrated...

I drink a lot of water these days because im on a diet...I go to pee every 50 minutes or do :o Im constantly drinking water..

The only thing you need to worry about is wearing your peepee out from all the weewee.

Back
Top Bottom