Need a slimeline AC receiver

Soldato
Need a slimeline AV receiver

I'm after an AV receiver but don't want one of those humungous thick slabs of plastic/aluminium as it don't think won't fit in with the style of the rest of my kit, plus I think they look daft in the first place, sorry. Anyway, I've had a look on Richer Sounds and the only slim lookig one they do is a Samsung, is this make any good, or can anyone reccomend a good slimeline make? I'll be using it with small 6ohm speakers from my dead Aiwa home cinema system which sounded good to me so I'm not that bothered about massive power and such like. I did think about getting another cheap home cinema kit but I decided to take the oppurtunity to get a stand alone dvd recorder so another dvd system will look a bit odd probably, hence the need for a dedicated av receiver.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bubo said:
I'm after an AV receiver but don't want one of those humungous thick slabs of plastic/aluminium as it don't think won't fit in with the style of the rest of my kit, plus I think they look daft in the first place, sorry. Anyway, I've had a look on Richer Sounds and the only slim lookig one they do is a Samsung, is this make any good, or can anyone reccomend a good slimeline make? I'll be using it with small 6ohm speakers from my dead Aiwa home cinema system which sounded good to me so I'm not that bothered about massive power and such like. I did think about getting another cheap home cinema kit but I decided to take the oppurtunity to get a stand alone dvd recorder so another dvd system will look a bit odd probably, hence the need for a dedicated av receiver.

There are a few around, they tend to use digital amps which enable them to put out decent power from a smaller box, it is a compromise though, they don't make AV amps massive for a laugh its for a good reason.

Anyway I think Denon do one

Yep

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=163

MB

Soldato
Hi Bubo!

I bought the following av receiver 'Yamaha RX-SL80' on behalf of a friend of mine and found it to be more than capable. It's super slim and is sufficiently heavyweight! I bought it off eshay for £120 (including delivery).

I have had great experience with yamaha kit and presently own 'one of those humungous thick slabs'... ;) ...It's a Yamaha AX1 and i wouldn't change it for the world! :cool:

However the RX-SL80 i mention does very well in comparison to my unit and that's nothing to sniff at considering it cost about £200 compared to the AX1's £2000.

My friend has it playing in a decent sized room using some Wharfedale Pacific speakers - Pi Centre, Pi40's and Pi20's. There's not even really any need for a sub! You may like more connections as it's not fabulously equipped but i assume that as that was over a year ago yamaha will have released a better specced successor to that unit!

Check the Yamaha site and see!

gt_junkie

Soldato
OP
I haven't got anything yet though over the weeks I've gone from wanting an ultra slim reciever with no bells and whistles, to thinking about a £200 yamaha 359 system (one of the slabs), then settling on the £350 yamaha 557 system, but finding that was no longer being made, briefly thinking about the yamaha 757 and denon 1906, then on a whim thinking maybe I should go for one iwth proper hdmi inputs for when I get a hdtv, so now I am seriously thinking of ordereding the yamaha vx2600 at £900. Bit of a jump from my original position. They are chuffing big things though still, will certainly dominate the space below my tv.

Associate
RS should still be selling the pioneer 301/501/502

I had a 301 and it was an excellent little av reciever. They have 4 rgb/composite/svideo scarts but no component connections - so thats a trade off.

But its very slim, and great value.

Soldato
Hey,

Sorry to resurrect this thread! The VSX-C502 looks quite nice, but it seems there are no analogue composite inputs? I guess it won't be possible to connect my Gamecube or DTV to this then...? :(

Cheers,

Suman

Soldato
OP
Still not decided what to get yet. I had virtually made my mind up to get a Yamaha 2600, but they are virtually unobtainable at the moment. I did try the ebay route for a while to get a stopgap system for £100 max, but always got outbid at the last moment on every auction I tried. Again, I'm thinking should I buy that samsung I first thought of since I've seen a couple of guys on the av forums say its quite good, but then I think I'd just be wasting £180, when I really want to get that £900 yamaha with all its hdmi bells and whistles. I'm also planning on getting the new 40" Sony X series bravia lcd tv when it comes out in september, so my current stance is to make do with what I've got now and have a mega splash out on the 2600 which hopefully will be more available by then. You only live once I suppose. Mind you I still keep looking on ebay but I just can't be bothered with the time needed to snipe auctions and stuff.

Soldato
Just be patient - it'll be worth it in the end!

It took me ages to find just the right ax1 and then bid on it (it also took a while to save up the cash for it as well!) but it's all been totally worth it!

I've had my baby for over 4 years now and i've never even felt the itch to upgrade. The cost and time pretty much fades away if you get exactly what you want. It's very satisfying when you watch a movie with the volume turned up so far it would embarass even a cinema! :cool:

That Yam sounds like just what you want. Don't bother buying a filler - wait and save your pennies! You won't regret it!!! ;)

gt_junkie

Back
Top Bottom