• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe Uk Pricing?

Associate
sorry if this has been discussed before but i was wondering if anyone had any idea what the price scale of the coroe chips coming in july will be in the Uk?

im trying to decide if it's worth building a 3700+ based system or waiting till july, i am wondering if the cheapest conroe's will be good overclockers or if it would be cheaper to get an amd chip, mobo, ram & gpu and waiting till i can afford the 2.6 conroe to build a new rig?

Caporegime
ManWhoCan said:
sorry if this has been discussed before but i was wondering if anyone had any idea what the price scale of the coroe chips coming in july will be in the Uk?

im trying to decide if it's worth building a 3700+ based system or waiting till july, i am wondering if the cheapest conroe's will be good overclockers or if it would be cheaper to get an amd chip, mobo, ram & gpu and waiting till i can afford the 2.6 conroe to build a new rig?

I don't think Conroe pricing is finalised yet, but I reckon it'd definately be worth the wait, even the Core based Celerons are looking awesome, and they're going to be dirt cheap in all likelyhood.

Associate
OP
cheers dave

any idea on how well conroe chips overclock? ive heard that it might not be that good and merom would be the better option but am not sure if that's right?

Caporegime
ManWhoCan said:
cheers dave

any idea on how well conroe chips overclock? ive heard that it might not be that good and merom would be the better option but am not sure if that's right?

Both seem to be clocking really well, the motherboard support is poor to say the least at the moment, and the chips are early runs, but even on air they seem to be hitting 2.8-3ghz.

If you go over to Xtremesystems they have some excellent clocks on Conroe, Merom and the Core based Celerons.

Associate
The only pricing I've seen is:

Core Extreme Edition Series - 1333MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4
Core Extreme Edition - 3.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 95W - $999 - Q3

Core E6000 Series - 1066MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4
Core E6800 - 2.93GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $720 - Q4
Core E6700 - 2.67GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $529 - Q3
Core E6600 - 2.40GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 4MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $315 - Q3
Core E6400 - 2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $240 - Q3
Core E6300 - 1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65W - $210 - Q3

Core E4000 Series - 800MHz FSB, EM64T, EIST, SSE4
Core E4200 - 1.6GHz, 800MHz FSB, 32+32KB L1, 2MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 45W - $___ - Q3

It never converts from $ to £ in accordance to the exchange rate though, we always end up paying more.

Last edited:
Associate
In answer to your original question - yes I'd wait.

You shouldn't be paying too much more for a low end conroe system. Although the motherboards will be a little more expensive the performance increase will justify it. And yes, they do overclock well apparently.

Soldato
I was gonna jump to a D805 and clock it, but I think im better of waiting. After seeing some pre benchies this thing is gonna blow everything out the water.

Hopefully the Conroe's will be alittle cheaper than we expect, if intel has brains they will know that selling these at fair prices will well and truely get them back in the game.

ManWhoCan said:
cheers mate, looks like ill wait till july then

seems so far away though :(

:) It will come around well quick and allow me to save up alittle too!

Soldato
the 6300 and 6600 look like the most interesting prospects. I may go for the 300 in a system I'll be building for my brother in Summer, provided it's a better performer than the X2 3800. :)

Soldato
2StepSteve said:
I was gonna jump to a D805 and clock it, but I think im better of waiting. After seeing some pre benchies this thing is gonna blow everything out the water.

Hopefully the Conroe's will be alittle cheaper than we expect, if intel has brains they will know that selling these at fair prices will well and truely get them back in the game.

:) It will come around well quick and allow me to save up alittle too!
Or on the flip side, if they see how much hype there is for them they might just jack up the prices anyway because they know people will still buy them. Basic "supply and demand" rules.

I hope they don't though, would be nice for a change to actually be able to buy a bit of cutting-edge hardware for less than 3x the price of the one below it.

Caporegime
fenderbass86 said:
I'll be going for the E6600 at $315, so I used a currency converter and this SHOULD be the UK price, but like joltech said, you'll probably pay a little more:

$315 = £166 (roughly)

If only it worked that way, prices are estimated closer by doing $1=£1 than using the exchange rate :(

Back
Top Bottom