Buying a house...

Soldato
From a first time buyer's perspective- WHAT A BLOOMIN NIGHTMARE!

After looking at god knows how many different places you finally work out what your really looking for in a property,
...then you only look at that type and all of a sudden they start to merge into one,
...then you find one you like more than the others only to find something major negative wrong / against it (repeat 3 times)
... you finally find what you like and almost disregard it because you know something's bound to be wrong with it, go back for a second look and find that infact it appears to be all it says it is,
... then you get scared that this might actually be what you end up buying,
... you decide to put in an offer, but how much? (cue day and a half long discussion with gf about how much to offer so we don't pay ott or lose out on the best place we've seen)
... then you finally put in an offer and sit twiddling your thumbs by the phone whilst writing a post on an internet forum about what a stress its been :p

If it gets accepted from what I've hear we can expect to up the stress level a bit more for the next month or 2 :(

I can't even begin to think what its like when your trying to sell at the same time :o

OK vent over!!

Soldato
OP
I'll see if I can dig one out.

Just had my, what I consider quite fair offer, refused.

To be honest I don't blame them if they want they could hold out for the asking price and similar properties in the area are either more expensive, not as well located or need work.

EDIT - plus its been on the market for less than a week :o

Caporegime
Wouldnt worry about it mate, ive refused around 10 offers so far on my house. Bloody cheapskates want to buy my house for peanuts so they can renovate it and make some big money out of it lol:p.

Soldato
OP
Kell_ee001 said:
Just because it's been refused, it doesn't mean you can't put in another offer :p

Of course you only do this if you can afford to and if you think it's actually worth it :)
Its priced pretty well anyway and as I say its a popular location, very well positioned within the development its on, has got nice little extra's like a 27' garage *claps like an excited schoolboy at workshop space* and hasn't been on for very long so not exactly a good basis for us striking a deal.

Asking price is £156500 and when I got the call back I was told they wouldn't accept anything below £155000 and as I said before they should easily be able to get the asking price anyway.

Soldato
Just do what we did with our first house - panic, run around like headless chickens and pay near to the asking price in a spasm of fear. :p

Soldato
OP
Desmo said:
Stressful? What is there to stress over? You either get this house or you get another one. Maybe I'm just too laid back :/
LOL, its my gf. She can't wait to move but is also a perfectionist :(

I get a constant barrage of questions to which I can only answer "I don't know" "I don't know" "I don't know" "I don't know"...... :p

I'm going grey I tell ya!

Soldato
Desmo said:
Stressful? What is there to stress over? You either get this house or you get another one. Maybe I'm just too laid back :/

I agree, first time buying isnt stressful in the slightest. When we bought ours last year we hardly had to do anything apart from make a few calls and sign a few forms.

Moving from one house to a new one is the stressful part :p

Caporegime
Nismo said:
I agree, first time buying isnt stressful in the slightest. When we bought ours last year we hardly had to do anything apart from make a few calls and sign a few forms.

That and moving somewhere abroad is quite the most stressful period of anyones life.
Cant wait till my house sells then i can move back to Canada for good....am i looking forward to it?? hell yes but not the actual moving part:(. Im a stickler for perfection and i know if its meant to go wrong...it will lol.

Soldato
take a deep breath as it will get worse once the solicitors start to (not)work,they will go on holiday,lose the papers,forget to ring the other side for vital info,charge you for every stamp and phone call made,then when it's exchange day they will disapear off the face of the earth only to tell you when you do find them that ''it's all so simple nothing can go wrong''

Soldato
OP
Nismo said:

Its only really been the making an offer bit that we find stressful... the idea that we might be paying too much for a place etc :p

I wasn't too fussed until I put it in terms of "x months wages after tax" :o

At the end of the day if we mess up and pay £5k OTT then in real terms that means that about 3 months time our place will actually be worth what we paid for it :p ... that is of course assuming things carry on as they have for the last few years which all the financial experts say they won't :(

Soldato
First time buying didnt seem that bad

mine's been stress free, just posted off the contracts today, so should exchange within a week.

3 bedroom flat in Addiscombe.

just keep on top of everything paperwork wise, and make sure good communication streams with vendor/solicitor/estate agent.

Soldato
OP
Cookie-Monster said:
First time buying didnt seem that bad

mine's been stress free, just posted off the contracts today, so should exchange within a week.

3 bedroom flat in Addiscombe.

just keep on top of everything paperwork wise, and make sure good communication streams with vendor/solicitor/estate agent.
In your situation how long was it before you actually had to stump up the deposit money as ours is scattered in about 10 different places :o

Soldato
lordrobs said:
the end of the day if we mess up and pay £5k OTT then in real terms that means that about 3 months time our place will actually be worth what we paid for it

but your purchase is based on paying it off over 25 years at approx. £2 for every £1 borrowed, so in it probably means that over 25 years you'll pay £10,000 more than you ought to? or have i got something wrong there.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Me and mine have just started looking for our first place and it is rather daunting I must admit.

Back
Top Bottom