Memory Suggestions for Conroe

Associate
I will be having a re jig with my PC's when Conroe is released. Now I don't know much about DDR2 other than it seems to cost more and have looser timings than DDR1 :p .

Anyway am I right in my thinking that;

Conroe's FSB is 266*4=1066?

If I'm right, then the dual channel memory speed will be 533 (266*2) and 533 is about PC4200?

If so running Conroe at stock will need memory at a speed of PC4200?

The E6600 for example runs at 2.4Ghz with a multi of 9 (266*9=2400Ghz), so to get that to around the 3gig mark would need the fsb go up to 333 (333*9=3000) needing memory of 666 or PC5300 at 1:1?

If I am on the right lines, I see there are some 1000mz PC8000 kits meaning an FSB of 500 :o .

I would be grateful for some feedback, as I'm costing it all up at the moment and need to know what reserve price to put on my kidney which is for sale on E**y :D

Associate
Yeah, it's a bit of a confused picture right know until Conroe and supporting motherboards start shipping / being reviewed.

I was looking at this also and have been leaning towards some of the lower latency CAS 4-4-4-4-12-1 PC26400 2GB kits that are appearing - Kingston have a HyperX kit with these timings and G-Skill also have one for pre-order on OCUK...

I will watch this thread with interest......good luck with your choice.

Associate
It basically comes down to what you're willing to spend.

For the best you can get, go with either the Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C3 TwinX or the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-8000.

Failing that, I'd go with the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 ZX PC2-6400 which seems great for the price.

Caporegime
I have 2 x512 mb DDR2 crucial ballistix that I have from my previous intel 3.4ghz rig before getting my opty.

Will this be ok to use? its pc5300 667mhz. DDR2

Another question is, because its 2 x512mb and I want at least 2 gig will it be ok to get another 2 x512 mb of the same ram and and have 4 stix?

will this hinder my clock?

I will be looking at getting a E6600 on release and if I can use this ram it will make things much cheaper.

But I'm not sure what 4 stix are like in intel rigs.do they suffer the same as in amd ones?

thanks

oh and sorry for the highjack :p

Soldato
Well from the looks of that chart which I posted, 667Mhz memory is fine. I've ordered some of the G.Skill 2GB DDR2 LA PC2-5300 for my conroe system, should be here tommorow.

Associate
Why order already? Conroe isn't out for another two months and the prices could drop a little by then. A fine choice though, I was originally gonna go for the 2GB Geil set but this new G.Skill set looks tasty for the cheaper price.

Soldato
fenderbass86 said:
Why order already? Conroe isn't out for another two months and the prices could drop a little by then.

Couldn't help myself :(

Its still a great price though, in fact it looked too good to be true - so I thought I have better order before the price went up :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link to the chart, makes workings out a lot easier on the brain.

Just a case now of playing the waiting game until the release date and watch the prices fluctuate.

I suppose it's not out of the question that DDR2 may rise in price the week or two prior to the release date of Conroe, what with supply and demand? Killer may have bought at the right time, who knows?

Jack

Associate
That Gskill ddr2 at £117 for 2gb is looking mighty good value for qulaity ram with a lifetime guarantee.
I suspect that will rise to £130 very shortly, I cannot see DDR2 falling in the short-term, long-term probably yes.
But now ddr2 has become the mainstream ram for both AMD and Intel prices will rise to meet an increased demand.

Get that Gskill whilst you can at that price.

Rob H

Associate
Kesnel said:
Only AMD has issues with 4 DIMMs, they'll work no problems on Intel. :)

Is that because of the memory controller not being on the cpu?

I can get a deal on 3x ddr2 chips but was worried it will slow or stop the dual channel effect. Dual channel is worth 10% performance ?

Explicit said:

What would be the suggested ram for an 805 at 4ghz, it has to only require half the bandwidth of Conroe surely

Last edited:
Associate
i am thinking about 4gb of ram with conroe ^_^. Maybe a bit over kill but i need to treat myself every now and again.

Also i heard A LONG time ago that AMD were best at 1:1 and Intel were better when the memory was 5:3 or 3:2 something like that?!? Having said that the ratios kinda make no sense to me :D

is it the FSB of the memory being higher than the FSB of the CPU, i dunno ill stop digging lol.

Associate
The price of good DDR2 will surely come down now both Intel & Amd are using it. I expect good DDR2 800 to get cheaper once the yields improve, as they are only around 50% at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom