AMD 64 CPU Diode temperature?

str

str

Soldato
I found a utility called nxSensor which allegedly reads the CPU diode in AMD 64 CPUs and it reports the following while stress testing:

It's a Sempron 2800+ running at 2.6Ghz with 1.55v (bios setting) on my new DFI UT NF3 250Gb. The motherboard based CPU temperature is reported as 46c whereas the CPU diode temperature is a staggering 80c!!! I can even make it go beyond 90c for the diode temperature by running S&M at the same time as the two Prime95s.

The Sempron 2800+ can run up to a maximum temperature of 69c as can be seen here and according to the motherboard I'm nowhere near that although according to the diode temperature I'm way beyond it! :eek:

Anyone know anything about the diode temperature reading and is it possible nxSensor is reading it wrong? :confused:

str

str

Soldato
OP
Bah the above stress testing caused the system to freeze requiring a reboot so I guess the CPU diode temperature reported by nxSensor might actually be correct so it's now back at 2.4Ghz with default 1.4v and the motherboard CPU temperature is 39c and the CPU diode temperature is 60c:

:(

str

str

Soldato
OP
I get two vcores reported too so I just unticked the second one and the others that seemed wrong.

What motherboard CPU temperature did it report and how does it compare to the diode temperature?

str

str

Soldato
OP
The nxSensor page says it gets the CPU diode temperature from the internal diode in the CPU and yours at 47c and 58c looks good especially when compared to my results!

I'm currently using the stock cooler but I'll try a better cooler soon and see if it helps.

Anyone else care to try nxSensor and post their results? :)

Get it here: http://cbid.amdclub.ru/html/download.html

Direct download here: http://cbid.amdclub.ru/files/nxsensor.zip

Last edited:

str

str

Soldato
OP
It's on the main CBID page down the bottom right and says:

The final version of NextSensor 2.3 has been released! It incorporates a new unique feature that provides sensing the temperature of any AMD64 processor using its on-die thermal diode! Besides, there is an ability to monitor voltage, temperature and fan speed parameters via NextSensor Remote Monitor function in conjunction with any web browser! Now administrators can effectively control their systems in LAN or via Internet. Enjoy!

Soldato
It's no different than any other temperature monitoring program.

And, while we're on the subject of the AMD thermal diode, it's accurate to +/- 7'C (on the AMD64 anyway - I saw it in a white paper).

str

str

Soldato
OP
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Jimbo, surely it must be different?

The motherboard CPU temperature (PROCESSOR in nxSensor) reported is the same as other programs report but it's lower than the reported internal thermal diode which makes sense to me suggesting it really is reading the internal thermal diode and most systems probably don't do that hence the different readings.

str

str

Soldato
OP
Mr Mister said:
it says my cpu fan is running at 8700rpm.... i dont think so. :p
You will probably need to select the correct sensor in the Control tab. I had to switch to the ITE IT87xxF sensor for it to report everything correctly for my DFI UT NF3 250Gb.

str

str

Soldato
OP
I'm off out and gonna leave it running dual Prime95s and will be able to check the temps on my mate's PC. :D

EDIT: Check my 12v line it's awful. I need my Antec 550w back from RMA asap! :)

Last edited:

str

str

Soldato
OP
It's the IP address your ISP gives you. So for me it's 84.9.233.238 and the port default is 8088.

I also had to login to my router and setup a firewall rule so it could be accessed from the outside world.

Back
Top Bottom