Intel pulls ATI bus licence

Permabanned
"in a shock to no one, a few days ago, ATI had its chipset bus licence pulled, or at least not renewed by Intel. I guess that means that AMD won't be making many chipsets for Intel in a year or so" - http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33225

now... this could all get very dirty very easily as AMD hold the licence for the EM64T extensions which intel has licenced from AMD in order to be able to implement a 64 bit architecture on Intel CPU`s...

Soldato
Yewen said:
Think it means ATI wont be making any chipsets for Intel processors, thats it.

Don't know why AMD are drawn into this. :confused:

AMD have signed that merger with ATi. So if that goes through, who's gonna make the chipsets for the new AMD/ATi rigs or laptops?

Just a querry

Permabanned
OP
Yewen said:
Think it means ATI wont be making any chipsets for Intel processors, thats it.

Don't know why AMD are drawn into this. :confused:

there drawn into it because they are the reason intel has cancelled the deal. by Q4 2006, AMD and ATI will be fully integrated. all the merger is waiting on now is shareholder aproval which they are certain to get given they are getting a 24% return on the current share price.

its in reference to certain controller chips and IGPU`s that ATI were making for Intel, basically they are trying to be spiteful and make damn sure they dont help AMD`s profit margins even if it causes intel problems initially.

Last edited:
Associate
dont intel use IA64 not EM64T, intel havnt leased anything of AMD since they got 64 bit first? but yes this is gonna get dirty and if i was the evil empire (intel) i would do my best to damage ATI and join forces with Nvidia

do you rekon Nvidia will still make AMD chipsets? more to the point do you rekon AMD will let them now they have ATI?

Permabanned
OP
lucifersam said:
dont intel use IA64 not EM64T, intel havnt leased anything of AMD since they got 64 bit first? but yes this is gonna get dirty and if i was the evil empire (intel) i would do my best to damage ATI and join forces with Nvidia

"AMD's standard was adopted by Microsoft, Linux and even Sun Microsystems. This left Intel in a position where they were forced to make an agreement with AMD to use the AMD64 extensions for their own 64-bit (EM64T) processors. The K8 is also notable for its Direct Connect Architecture." - Wiki

IA-64 is for itanium processors, the whole IA-64 itanium project was a failure as it couldnt hold against Opterons which used less power and did more work per Mhz, the Opterons went on to compete directly with Xeon chips after this...

Unless Intel managed to pull off a hostile take over of Nvidia, which i doubt it will do, Nvidia have already stated they have no plans for or desire to merge with anyone for the forseable future.

lucifersam said:
do you rekon Nvidia will still make AMD chipsets? more to the point do you rekon AMD will let them now they have ATI?

i wasnt aware they did in the first place.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Psycho Sonny said:
what is a chipset? or bus and why are the video card companies making them shouldnt mobo manufacturers or cpu manufacturers make them?

motherboard manufacturers generally dont make their own chips, they design a board to do certain things using various chips from various companys. peel off your northbridge cooler on your motherboard and under it youl find your chipset :)

Man of Honour
This could make it interesting, I didn't think that any of the big companies (Intel/AMD and Nvidia/ATI) would be quite silly enough to shoot themselves in the foot over a merger but it looks like I underestimated Intel.

While chipsets will still obviously get made it seems a little shortsighted as demergers can happen but if you force your competitors closer together you also make them work harder to stick together and succeed as they have no other option.

Associate
locutus12 said:
"AMD's standard was adopted by Microsoft, Linux and even Sun Microsystems. This left Intel in a position where they were forced to make an agreement with AMD to use the AMD64 extensions for their own 64-bit (EM64T) processors. The K8 is also notable for its Direct Connect Architecture." - Wiki

IA-64 is for itanium processors, the whole IA-64 itanium project was a failure as it couldnt hold against Opterons which used less power and did more work per Mhz, the Opterons went on to compete directly with Xeon chips after this...

Unless Intel managed to pull off a hostile take over of Nvidia, which i doubt it will do, Nvidia have already stated they have no plans for or desire to merge with anyone for the forseable future.

i wasnt aware they did in the first place.

i see, i thought EM64T was actually AMD 64bit solution but reading up on suggests not, it is an intel solution that is made to be compatible with the AMD64 standard! learn something new everyday, i still cant see that there would be a licensing problem

lets also be honest, intel has enough money to swallow Nvidia andnot even need to fart. big companies like intel are good at hostile takeovers if thats what they decide

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
lucifersam said:
i still cant see that there would be a licensing problem

there isnt yet :) im just saying if things got dirty, both sides paths cross enough in the technology they produce to do each other some damage.

Associate
Gashman said:
too me it sounds like intel is a little child who is a sore looser, and has to have the last laugh, it sounds EXACTLY like that, petty :rolleyes:

i think business is not that petty, intel and AMD are in a market worth billions there is more than having the last laugh at stake here

Associate
Gashman said:
too me it sounds like intel is a little child who is a sore looser, and has to have the last laugh, it sounds EXACTLY like that, petty :rolleyes:

ATI are now a direct competitor (being owned by Intels largest rival AMD), you do your very best to help your own interests and that of your shareholders, not your competitors.

Permabanned
OP
lucifersam said:
i think business is not that petty, intel and AMD are in a market worth billions there is more than having the last laugh at stake here

actually it is petty. the arrangement was proffiting both sides and there was no sound financial reason to cancel it. Intel is in a market which it dominates via illegal subsidisation of companys such as dell who until this year were bullied into not shipping AMD or else they would have to pay full price for Intel CPU`s as opposed to the large discounts they recieved from Intel for their loyalty. AMD by comparison have spent the last 20 years clinging on by its fingernails.

AMD`s profits last year were $209 million
intel profits last year were $8 billion - 40 times more than AMD.

Back
Top Bottom