This weekend the MX5+GTO will mainly be enjoying...

Soldato
Kitchster and Myself + wives are going on a camping mission this weekend. Will be starting out in Manchester-Hartlepool to pick them up. We shall then be heading over to Dunbar and camping for the night. Then next day heading over to Fort William, pitching the tent and heading around Inveness.

I shall be driving the MX5 and kitchster will be flying his GTO Twin Turbo. Hopefully plenty of pics to follow.

Soldato
OP
Just getting ready to set off for Hartlepool now. So I thought I'd post the first pics.

This is the Mazda as prepped as she's ever going to be getting ready to be loaded up with camping gear.

home1t.jpg

oh and look what the postman brought just in time for me to shove it in the glove box for those dull moments

home2t.jpg

Soldato
Well, I'm back home and it was an eventfulp trip. I have some pics though mattpc's ***** wifey was a better camera skills than mine!!!

P2190365.jpg

Met up with matt/wife at about 4.30pm on Friday at Easington Services on the A19 Northbound. A bit of playtime on the A1(M) upto Newcastle and reasoanbly easy traffic as it's poets day. This kinda set the tone for the weekend and soon enough the GTo and the 5 were overtaking things on single stretch roads, all within the speed limit of course officer;) The drive up to Dunbar was lovely, a nice relaxing end to the week and we arrived in good time, around 6-30 - 7pm if my memory serves. Site was fine, pitching the tents was the next mission. Matt & hareem had a Gelert 'Quickpitch SS' super dooper quick pitching tent while we were in 'Rocky 3' Pitching either wasn't so much the problem as te near concrete conditions of the ground. A quick trip to the camping store and more suitable pegs were located.

Matt & co

P2190367.jpg

Adam & co

P2190366.jpg

I better explain at this point, both our better halves are called Sarah and both are from the North East so that's why they are being referred to as 'matt's wife' etc.

The rest of the evening was spent procuring food and beverage. We instantly knew we didn't fit in with the 'happy campers' but hey, we didn't care and the site was only a stop gap for the next days travelling. After upsetting our neighbours by tripping over their 'ropes on the way home, it was decided to call it a night.

Matt looked lovely in the morning and as you'll see later on, there is justification for this pic

P2200371.jpg

Soldato
So, on to Saturday, I will start and leave it for Matt to complete as I'm sure his take on events may be slightly more humourous than mine.

The day started well, up and about, though later than expected. A stop in Dunbar for Matt & Adam fuel (greasy breakfast) was needed. The greasy spoon was duly located by Matt, using only his sense of smell and from properly 300 yards - quite impressive when you consider matt uses TomTom to find his way round his own back garden just about ;)

The scene of the crime (excuse the shopping trolley...)

29072006001.jpg

The dirty deed

29072006.jpg

After that, it was time to hit the open road and head for Fort William. We were already a bit behind schedule so there was some....progressive driving along the motorway. Meanwhile, I had found a new friend - a Scooby. We went to play for a bit and Matt had to play catch up. However, this encounter proved to be more than a little bad for our trip

Mr Scooooooby

P2200379.jpg

The battle with the Scoob had taken it's toll. I had previously commented on how loud the car was at the mo, saying I'd get it sorted as soon as I got back. First, it was the missus that pointed out the nasty scraping noise, followed by Matt & Wife at the next junction. A quick trip to the hard shoulder on the M8(?) showed the problem...

AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

P2200380.jpg

For the less technically minded, that is one of the rear cans, split away and dragging on the floor. Gutted. We limped a few miles down the road to a garage where I managed to procure the other thing I was short of - super dooper go go juice as well as a 12mm spanner to remove the offending piece of exhaust. With this done, or quest turned to getting a professional opinion. Unable to find one, we headed to Kwik Fit. The sprog of an apprentic didn't do much for my confidence, asking what was missing whilst the car was up on the ramps - there is a GAPING hole and the other back box aint connected either!!! Oh well, the senior guy, who did seem to know what he was doing and I both check out how secure everything was. Performance didn't seem a problem so we dumped the offending can and set off for Fort William. Matt, the ******* video'd the garage incident with comical music in the background. I was *so* thanful for this. Git.

Part 2, the trip to Fort William, to follow!!!

Back
Top Bottom