The Great OcUK Rock Music Questionnaire - <14-19yr olds

Soldato
I thought this might be an interesting idea for the forum and would give a nice gauge of everyone's different musical tastes across the generations.

Basically there will be three discussion threads (of which this is the first, so give it a few minutes for the others to all be up) in which people of the set age group can post a selection of answers to music related questions. The idea is to get a broader view of what artists different generations rate and feel have made a big impact on their listening. I want to try and keep it as condensed as possible, so there will only be a few categories. If it goes well, I'll consider adding more categories later.

Age groups:-

<14-19yrs old - Link
20-28yrs old - Link
29yrs old+ - Link

On to the categories and a brief description of them:-

Age:- More out of interest to guage if there's much split within the generations.

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

B. Most influential bands of our generation.

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

C. Most influential bands of all time.

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

The questionnaire will be open until the 25th of August.

Once that date closes, I'll announce the winners for each age category and the overall winners based on number of votes in each category.

I'd also really like there do be some high quality discussion and reasons given for your choices. This should hopefully get some good debate going over bands who some people might not have heard before. Try and keep it as civilised as possible and don't let it turn into arguments such as 'X is far better than Y because Y suck'.

Also, try and stick to your own thread! Tempting though it might be to poke the kids or the geriatrics in the eye with your musical stick of knowledge, it'll also be interesting to see who can produce the best discussion topic!

Let the discussion commence!

Last edited:
Soldato
IceBus said:
note, i listen to dance and R n B, but il do my best, i HATE the way the "rock scene" has developed, with fall out boy and panic at the disco, if you can call it rock, hell my choices probs arnt rock anyway
A. Five favourite bands.

1. offspring (older stuff)
2. nofx
3. blink 182
4. iron maiden
5. ac dc

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

1. iron maiden
2. acdc
3. moterhead
4. metallica
5. muse

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

1. iron maiden
2. blink
3. acdc
4. moterhead
5. goldfinger

!

Man of Honour

A. Five favourite bands.
1. Radiohead
2. Muse
3. The Prodigy
4. Guns N' Roses
5. *

*I don't actually have any other bands that I would class as favourites

I need this to be cleared up, do you mean since we have been seriously listening to music? Nirvana were way before my time if you are looking at it like that... despite being around in my lifetime.

1. The Beatles
2. Queen
3. Metallica

Blagh... this is hard.... to be completed later!

Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

1. Faith No More
2. The Who
3. Coldplay
4. Rage Against The Machine
5. Oasis

based on influence
1. Oasis
2. Blur
3. Nirvana
4. The Stone Roses
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers :(

1. Beatles :(
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd
4. The Who
5. ACDC

Man of Honour
lemonkettaz said:
1. Oasis
2. Blur
3. Nirvana
4. The Stone Roses
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
Again, I'm not sure how that works because I'm pretty sure Nirvana were done and dusted way before you started listening to music seriously. How are we supposed to take this question?

Soldato
A. Five favourite bands.

1. Dire Straits
2. Muse
3. The Prodigy
4. Rage
5. Cypress Hill (dunno if they count as a band)

1. Nirvana (It's probably what made a lot of people of my generation pickup a guitar).
2. Oasis
3. Iron Maiden
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Stone Roses

1. The Beatles
2. The Stones
3. The Who

Soldato
Nitefly said:
Again, I'm not sure how that works because I'm pretty sure Nirvana were done and dusted way before you started listening to music seriously. How are we supposed to take this question?

er... i dunno.. i class the 90s as me being like.. alive.... i guess when i remember and understant anything after 1996 hasnt been up to much...influential wise id only say oasis/coldplay...but coldplay arent exactly influential.

and everything in this decade is just new wave all over again

can only think of muse really.

Man of Honour
lemonkettaz said:
er... i dunno.. i class the 90s as me being like.. alive.... i guess when i remember and understant anything after 1996 hasnt been up to much...influential wise id only say oasis/coldplay...but coldplay arent exactly influential.

and everything in this decade is just new wave all over again

can only think of muse really.
If it was since I had started listening seriously, I would proberly have to say Limp Bizkit actually. Single handedly brought 'nu-metal' to the mainstream, then didn't jump the ship. Shame really, they got way more stick than deserved, they were just the face of the genre at the time. Though I'm not sure that counts as influencial as it ended up sending the rest of music in the complete opposite direction, so maybe the least influencial. They did however help bring 'rock' back I guess...

Thats in recent years at least.

Soldato
Nitefly said:
If it was since I had started listening seriously, I would proberly have to say Limp Bizkit actually. Single handedly brought 'nu-metal' to the mainstream, then didn't jump the ship. Shame really, they got way more stick than deserved, they were just the face of the genre at the time. Though I'm not sure that counts as influencial as it ended up sending the rest of music in the complete opposite direction, so maybe the least influencial. They did however help bring 'rock' back I guess...

Thats in recent years at least.
Korn brought nu-metal into the mainstream. Korn and the Deftones. Fred Durst was doing tattoos for Korn way before Limp Bizkit ever made it.

Man of Honour
Woody__ said:
Korn brought nu-metal into the mainstream. Korn and the Deftones. Fred Durst was doing tattoos for Korn way before Limp Bizkit ever made it.
I'm pretty sure your average Joe would know of Limp Bizkit a lot more than the other two bands. I'm talking mainstream as in 'radio' and public exposure. The other two bands did certaintly get there first, Limp Bizkit definately didn't start it off.

Man of Honour
Woody__ said:
Korns "Follow the Leader" was a Top 5 hit in the UK before Limp Bizkit and Chocolate Starfish, came along...
Ugh! Ask your parents have they heard of either of those bands. Both my mum and dad know who Limp Bizkit are, and my dad only recognised Korn by "The band that did the video with the bullet".

*Le Sigh* :p

Associate
IceBus said:
A. Five favourite bands.

1. Foo Fighters
2. Oasis
3. InMe
4. The Used
5. Biffy Clyro

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. RHCP
4. The Eagles
5. ( i dunno )

1. Beatles
2. The Who
3. Led Zepplin
4. Queen
5. Nirvana

Last edited:
Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Iron Maiden
2. Foo Fighters
3. System of a Down
4. Finger Eleven
5. Incubus

1. Foo Fighters
2. Korn
3. Slipknot
4. Nirvana
5. Tool

1. Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Queen
4. Black Sabbath
5. Metallica

Man of Honour
da_mic_1530 said:
hey, i did say that i was a dance and r and b guy, im not into the rock scene, just trying to contribute
Sorry, I didn't mean to be patronising. I like very little rock music as well, hense why I couldn't think of 5 favourite bands myself.

Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Rage Against The Machine
2. Avenged Sevenfold
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. InMe
5. 36 Crazyfists

1. Rage Against The Machine
2. Nirvana
3. Metalica
4. greenday (unfortunatly)
5. joy division

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Led zeppelin
3. Bob Dylan
4. Pink Floyd
5. cream

a lot of the music i have chosen to listen to (as it first appears) to be typical angry teenager stuff, and certainly 4 of the 5 (Hendrix the exception) are, thing is the quality of the music is excellent throughout, i also [try to] play the guitar, so I like to have decent guitar work in my music :)

in the relativly short time ive been listening/playing music - i've seen sooooooo many adds for bands or band members, and in the influences part, youll generally see 1 of these names pop up - thats what i based my choices upon

if you havent heard a song by one of the bands ive picked as my most influential then your propably deaf.

Back
Top Bottom