Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 28th Oct 2006, 19:51   #1
Ex-RoNiN
Capodecina

Unhappy Failed theory test :(

Well, not too surprised, I didn't study at all for it, I passed the Hazard Perception test with 56 points, but only got 28 on the multiple choice. I didn't know what to do with lights in different conditions, didn't know about different braking distances, and about speed limits when towing. Fair enough really, this you just have to study.

So, for next time I'm gonna buy a book to make sure I take care of these questions as well. Which book do you recommend? I heard that some come with vouchers for some free lessons with BSM or the AA, do you happen to know which ones they are?
Ex-RoNiN is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 19:58   #2
[TW]Fox
Man of Honour

If you had failed the hazard perception I'd have understood but I'm sorry there is simply NO excuse for failing the multiple choice questions, even with no revision.

They are so ridiculously easy they are insulting to most peoples intelligent. How can you possibly fail a test which includes such fantastic questions as, and this is a serious question from the test:

'You encounter an accident at the side of the road. What do you do first?'

a) Offer the driver involved a cigerrette
b) Offer the driver an alcoholic drink
c) Call the emergency services
d) Something else equally inane I can't remember

Seriously, poor show

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes.
[TW]Fox is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:06   #3
Dave85
Sgarrista

Ul man, I failed it 1st aswell but was hazzard perception I was trying out a trick i read online it didnt work lol

Dave85 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:10   #4
Tesla
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Fox
If you had failed the hazard perception I'd have understood but I'm sorry there is simply NO excuse for failing the multiple choice questions, even with no revision.
They are easy except the braking distance questions which are very easy to learn but if you don't know them then they are anybodys guess as they are massively inaccurate for modern cars anyway.

Anybody seen some punctuation around for my above "sentence"?

Tesla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:21   #5
andi
Capodecina

You were quite unlucky to get three of the very few vaguely tricky questions.

andi is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:23   #6
L0rdMike
Capodecina

Quote:

They are so ridiculously easy they are insulting to most peoples intelligent. How can you possibly fail a test which includes such fantastic questions as, and this is a serious question from the test:

'You encounter an accident at the side of the road. What do you do first?'

a) Offer the driver involved a cigerrette
b) Offer the driver an alcoholic drink
c) Call the emergency services
d) Something else equally inane I can't remember

Seriously, poor show
I didnt revise and passed.

I had a really stupid question that was so easy, was about braking in icy conditions. Anyone that chose the handbrake option should be shot.
L0rdMike is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:27   #7
Bri
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
They are easy except the braking distance questions which are very easy to learn but if you don't know them then they are anybodys guess as they are massively inaccurate for modern cars anyway.
But you only get 2 questions max on braking distances.

I did no swotting & thought, 'If I get a braking distance one, I'll guess it'. 1st question comes up, 'At 50mph in normal conditions.........'

I passed though, 32/35. Got the 1st question wrong, 1 on motorway signage & I have no idea what the other one was.

I'm with Fox here, no-one should fail this, even the hazard perception is laughably easy.

Bri is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:30   #8
Nazbit
Mobster

Unlucky mate, I failed my first theory test, got all the questions right then messed up the hazard perception.

Stupidly badly designed piece of **** is that hazard perception test.
Nazbit is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:31   #9
Tesla
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri
But you only get 2 questions max on braking distances.
I never realised that.

I remember one of my questions about answering a mobile whilst driving.

Tesla is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:32   #10
L0rdMike
Capodecina

When I passed mine I sat and waited 10mins for someone else to finish and leave.
L0rdMike is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 20:38   #11
Kroegen
PermaBanned

I passed first time. I didnt revise either. As Fox said, its soo easy id find it hard to get some of those questions wrong.
Kroegen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 21:08   #12
Mr-White
Capodecina

serves you right don't it

MW
Mr-White is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 21:54   #13
Giddy
Wise Guy

Dont worry mate, I know someone who failed it 7 times! Although saying that I think she may be still taking her pratical exam... after 10 years of trying

Z4MC, E Class Coup, Cayenne
Giddy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 22:03   #14
Stellios
Capodecina

If you havent already, do the practice tests on *** DVLAs website, as they actually show up in the test. They did for me anyways.

I done 2 practive tests, and the hazzard perception once, and got 33/35 and 59 IIRC on the perception

PS4 PSN ID - DogPatch-Zero6 | Chance favours the prepared mind!
Stellios is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2006, 23:06   #15
mattpc
Mobster

You are clearly a very foolish person ex-ronnin!!! Just do some study next time and you will be right!

mattpc is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 00:05   #16
Jaymond
Capodecina

Dont worry, you'll be rate next time.

| G3258 | MSI Z97 | 8gb DDR3 | 280 3gb | SSD Raid 0 | Dell U2515H |
///M 118D E82 - 2011
Jaymond is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 00:09   #17
hittman
Wise Guy

I got 100% on the theory test but I revised. lol. Didn't get the braking distance questions. Didnt have to do the perception test either. I passed 1st time. doesn't mean I'm a good driver though.
hittman is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 00:23   #18
chrisd
Wise Guy

Quote:
there is simply NO excuse for failing the multiple choice questions, even with no revision.
No, the majority of the questions are common sense. Some have to be revised for.
chrisd is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 00:27   #19
Del Lardo
Wise Guy

I easily passed first time with no revision. I may have been lucky but I found that watching my parents for 17 years was more than enough revision. When I took my test there was a girl there sitting it for the 6th time. Since then I've (rightly or wrongly) perceived the Theory Test as Darwins way of keeping stupid drivers off the road.

I hope that next time you manage to sort yourself out and don't prove to be another of Darwins children on the road.

Del Lardo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 02:21   #20
Northwind
Wise Guy

I got 3 tram questions "What does this sign mean?" "It means I'm really lost, we don't have any trams up here"
Northwind is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 08:06   #21
Phate
Caporegime

I got the current cd and for 3 days straight coming up to my test just kept taking the practise test, you soon memorise the answers.

when i took the test i got 33/35 and did it in 4 minutes
Phate is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 08:49   #22
Mr-White
Capodecina

i borrowed a theory cd off a mate and went through that 5-6 times the night before. supprisingly it had exactly the same questions on and i only got one wrong. it was the minimum speed limit in a tunnel

MW
Mr-White is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 10:54   #23
Conscript
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate
I got the current cd and for 3 days straight coming up to my test just kept taking the practise test, you soon memorise the answers.

when i took the test i got 33/35 and did it in 4 minutes
I did very little revision and got 35/35 on my theory.

55 out of 75 on the hazard perception, which is where I thought I would fail. I kept running through practice tests of that, but failed a lot of them. Was alright on the night though.

Sorry to hear that Ronin. Just have another crack at it, and there's not really much need for revision. All I did was skip through one of the theory test question and answers books, and read through the highway code.

Conscript is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 11:01   #24
loltim
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rdMike
When I passed mine I sat and waited 10mins for someone else to finish and leave.
I bet he beat your score, though
No seriously, it took me about 15mins to do the whole test, 35/35 on the theory but only just passed the Hazard one with 48

Shame I couldn't pass the practical with a few attempts less
loltim is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 14:27   #25
.:MBK:.
Mobster

failed mine 1st time...again on hazard perception, and i got some weird ass questions that id never seen in a theory test before in my life, but these still only had 1 logical answer and 3 complete crap ones. hazard i failed by 1 point 1st time aswell, damn that was annoying.

Admitedly i never got breaking distances, i still dont know them, but thats only 1 questions, and you're allowed to get 1 wrong.

oh well just suck it up, hand over more money and do it again, and this time, dont screw up

1st time i got 34 on multiple choice and 43 on hazard
2nd time i got 33 and 65

Passed practical 1st time...just, instructor was gonna fail me for an "innappropriate" decision involving a guy cutting across my side of the road but nothing happened so just gave me a minor for it, im not disclosing just how many minors i got, it was nothing to brag about i can tell you
.:MBK:. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 14:40   #26
chrisd
Wise Guy

Personally, I find it far more worrying that people are failing the hazard perception part.
chrisd is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 14:53   #27
Berger
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd
Personally, I find it far more worrying that people are failing the hazard perception part.
Its not very clear on how the clicking system works, i could easily point all the hazards out, but if you see them too early or click too quickly or in succession it can screw the system up and it doesnt score you. Personally i would have thought that the hazard perception doesnt need to be done, an examiner should be able to tell on your test how good your hazard perception and road reading is.

Passed both tests first time 34/35 and 4 Minors.
Berger is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 15:18   #28
Bug One
Sgarrista

failing these tests is just ridiculous. If you cant be arsed to learn a few simple things about the roads, you don't deserve to be on them.

I passed my test before you needed all this theory stuff. however this year I got my bike license so had to go through it all. After 10 years of driving there was no chance I was going to do anything other than ace this.

So I got the hazard perception dvds and did all the free online tests. I learned how to win at hazad perception (click 3 times for every hazard, one as Soon as you think a hazard may come up then again and again just to ensure if you clicked too early you still score).

ended up getting 100% on the multiple Choice and 67 on hazard perception.

Last edited by Bug One; 29th Oct 2006 at 15:23.
Bug One is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 18:13   #29
AtomicBanana
Wise Guy

Quote:
So I got the hazard perception dvds and did all the free online tests. I learned how to win at hazad perception (click 3 times for every hazard, one as Soon as you think a hazard may come up then again and again just to ensure if you clicked too early you still score).
Heheh, exactly what I did. I failed my first, on that damn hazzard perception. I'd always click slightly too early and score 0. A quick mess around with a mates hazzard perception cd and I figured out that 'trick'. I did it again this year when I needed to take the theory again for a bike test (pointless >_>).
AtomicBanana is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2006, 20:02   #30
silversurfer
Capodecina

Only question i got wrong on mine was whats a hazard warning line..
If you've failed it then you're better off then someone who passed by guessing the right answers. Its a theory test but the knowledge is pretty practical imo

🌜🏄 🐙🚵 🚁🔱 🐉
silversurfer is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote