Cooking with Jonny69: Corned Beef Hash

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
As cooking and eating are one of my favourite pastimes I thought I'd start a series of threads sharing my favourite recipies as I cook them. I'll kick off with my deluxe corned beef hash, an old favourite with a twist that can be enjoyed as a main meal, snack or breakfast. I cook in a little sliced chorizo sausage that really brings out the flavours and colour and breaks up the monotony of the corned beef. Corned beef hash is great tasty comfort food, dead easy to make and you can make loads of it in advance, keep it in the fridge and re-fry or microwave it when you're hungry.

Behold how I've resurrected this thread with pictures!

IMG_2291.jpg

This makes one mighty portion with seconds.

Ingredients:

2 medium potatoes, skinned and cut into 1cm cubes
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/3 tin of corned beef, cubed
5cm chorizo, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
salt, pepper and chilli to taste
Olive oil to fry

The secret ingredient:

IMG_2279.jpg

Get a large frying pan and heat it up on the gas, add plenty of olive oil and get the potatoes frying:

IMG_2276.jpg

This will take about 5-10 minutes depending on the spuds and take regular samples to check. The aim is to get them cooked through and nearly light brown and crispy on the outside before you add any more of the ingredients. There will be too much oil in the pan so soak some out with kitchen paper before you add the other ingredients.

IMG_2281.jpg

Once they are nearly done add the onions and garlic and continue to cook for a few more minutes:

IMG_2282.jpg

Then add the chorizo and a pinch of chilli. You don't want to make this hot or even spicy, just a cheeky little nip in the background that will compliment the chorizo.

Once the onions are soft and opaque you can add the cubed corned beef:

IMG_2283.jpg

It needs to go in right at the end. You don't want to cook it because it'll break up and dissolve into the other ingredients and we want to keep it cubed, so just long enough to heat it through. Add salt and pepper to taste and it's ready to serve.

IMG_2289.jpg

Chuck on a fried or poached egg for breakfast, add ketchup or brown sauce and DIG IN!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
My corned beef hash is done with mashed potato. Cook some baked beans and add cubes of Corned Beef. Mash potatos up and get an ovenware bowl. Put the corned beef + beans in the bottom, top with mashed potato and cook in the oven until the top of the potato has gone nicely cripsy. Serve

Man of Honour
looks like i may have to take a trip to asda this sounds like a plan :D
This is why i love OcUK ive got quite a few recipies from here that have gone down a storm with the lads

Associate
Windle said:
My corned beef hash is done with mashed potato. Cook some baked beans and add cubes of Corned Beef. Mash potatos up and get an ovenware bowl. Put the corned beef + beans in the bottom, top with mashed potato and cook in the oven until the top of the potato has gone nicely cripsy. Serve

Definitely better this way, the PROPER way ;)

Back
Top Bottom