Datawrite 8GB Hi-Speed (160x) Compact Flash

Soldato
Hey there!

I can get one of these cards for extremely cheap at the moment and i am wondering whether they are good or not.

I currently have a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB which fits about 200 RAW pictures on it. The EXtreme III is 133x but the Datawrite is 160x, im a bit wary though.

What i really want to know is has any one had any experiences with this card or any datawrite card?

Thanks for looking!

Josh

Last edited:
Man of Honour
8gb is a lot of shots in one basket, but 160x is very fast. Im still on sandisk ultra II's i use a lot of 1gb cards so if any problems dont loose everything from a few days shooting

Soldato
A bloke on the other forums has got one, says there not that good:

"No way is it even close to the speed rating they give it.
10 RAW files on continuous from the 5D:
Extreme III - buffer clears in 9.8s
Datawrite - buffer clears in 44.6s
Not only that but the 5D doesn't see the card every time you put in in the body. Every other card I've tried has been fine"

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, there seem to be a lot of similar reviews out there, mainly it's the speed that is the cause for complaint but a number of reports of cards not being recognised or just plain not fitting in slots!

Associate
I personally would not get anything larger then 4gig at the moment, and even then it is a risk as some cameras don't like cards over 2 gig. You need to make sure your camera is compatable with the capacity before you get it.

Associate
Yep, largest Id go for is a 2gb card. I personally use 1gb cards as they hold about 60 shots including RAW. Cant imagine me losing/accidently wiping an 8GB card with all my photos from the day/weekend/etc. I'll stick to lots of 1gb ones thanks! Plus my 20D can only read/write at about 5mb/s so dont need a faster card really :D

Soldato
OP
bobbyboy uk said:
A bloke on the other forums has got one, says there not that good:

"No way is it even close to the speed rating they give it.
10 RAW files on continuous from the 5D:
Extreme III - buffer clears in 9.8s
Datawrite - buffer clears in 44.6s
Not only that but the 5D doesn't see the card every time you put in in the body. Every other card I've tried has been fine"

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks!

I think i'll get a Extreme III 4GB or another 2GB or stretch for a Extreme IV maybe.

Shame this card isnt good though.

Glad i didnt just plunge in but for £42 it was worth asking!

Thanks!

Josh

Back
Top Bottom