Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:50   #1
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Job - Time Off for moving house - Entitled or Not?

Hi all,

I've been in permanent employment now for 1 year and 2 months nearly, and about to move house. Am I entitled by law to have some days off for this?

thanks!
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:51   #2
Davyb
Hitman
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Belfast NI
Posts: 663
We dont get it, we have to use our holidays.
Davyb is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:52   #3
Wile E. Coyote
Hitman
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 818
My company offers one day off for moving, but thats a perk.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:55   #4
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
I take it employers don't have to give employees time off for moving home, but can do if they choose to?
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:55   #5
Wile E. Coyote
Hitman
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I take it employers don't have to give employees time off for moving home, but can do if they choose to?
I think thats the case
Wile E. Coyote is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:56   #6
Visage
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I take it employers don't have to give employees time off for moving home, but can do if they choose to?
Yup - thats about the size of it.
Visage is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:57   #7
HEADRAT
Capodecina
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 16,640
Sick leave > *
HEADRAT is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:57   #8
happytechie
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,601
as above, I suggest booking some holiday.

happytechie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 09:58   #9
Rotty
Don
 
Rotty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Notts
Posts: 37,446
Not a chance

our company gives you one day off but you have no legal rights

Rotty is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:01   #10
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visage
Yup - thats about the size of it.
Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:02   #11
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADRAT
Sick leave > *
I'm very tempted....
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:07   #12
Visage
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!
Isnt 2 weeks paternity leave a legal obligation now?

Plus you're allowed 26 weeks off before the kids 5th borthday - you could use some of that....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...es/DG_10029398
Visage is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:07   #13
dirtydog
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 47,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!
It isn't for your employer to accommodate people like that. If someone can get into work then they should come into work, or quit / be sacked. I think you expect too much. If that and not letting you have time off to move constitutes a bad employer then I think you've led a sheltered life.
dirtydog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:08   #14
happytechie
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Then I'm stuffed. My boss is very greedy and doesn't like to give out very much. We get minimum holidays already, last year i became father and didn't get a single day paternity leave either. There's a lady working here whom has swellings in her knees and needs a stick to walk, he don't even let her work from home. All she does is read manuscripts, they could send it to her home everyday where she could read them.

I can't wait to hand my notice in this summer!!
not to give you some paternity leave is illegal.

the old lady should go to the doctors and get some time off work and talk to the CAB about how to get help at work, perhaps she should consider a wheelchair to help her moving about in the office, the employer might think about letting her work form home. when he has to modify to whole office to allow wheelchair bound workers access.

however you should take holiday to move house.

happytechie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:19
Dr_Evil
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:23   #15
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visage
Isnt 2 weeks paternity leave a legal obligation now?
Yes but a requirement is:

have been with your employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the beginning of the week when the baby's due and

and I was there for 7 months before the birth, not qualifying. So legally he didn't have to give me anything, but realistically he could have given me a couple of days at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visage
Plus you're allowed 26 weeks off before the kids 5th borthday - you could use some of that....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...es/DG_10029398
I think you misread that.
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:26
dirtydog
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:30   #16
Samtheman1k
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,408
Am I missing something, but can't you just move at the weekend?

How did it come to this?
Samtheman1k is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:34
Dr_Evil
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:34   #17
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtheman1k
Am I missing something, but can't you just move at the weekend?
Not really, it's a rather "big" move, 4 people loads of stuff.
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:37
dirtydog
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:37
dirtydog
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:42   #18
Samtheman1k
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Not really, it's a rather "big" move, 4 people loads of stuff.
So that's even more reason to do it on a weekend, when people are free (unless you are using a removal company)

How did it come to this?
Samtheman1k is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:42
Dr_Evil
This message has been deleted by Rotty.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:43   #19
dirtydog
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 47,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I said i can do a big move on a weekday, where's your reading glasses dog?
That's what I said...
dirtydog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:43   #20
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtheman1k
So that's even more reason to do it on a weekend, when people are free (unless you are using a removal company)
Dog doesn't care to understand the concept of what's being said.
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:55   #21
Visage
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 10,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Yes but a requirement is:

have been with your employer for at least 26 weeks by the end of the 15th week before the beginning of the week when the baby's due and

and I was there for 7 months before the birth, not qualifying. So legally he didn't have to give me anything, but realistically he could have given me a couple of days at least.



I think you misread that.
Yup - its 13 weeks in fact, not 26.
Visage is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:01   #22
happytechie
Soldato
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtheman1k
So that's even more reason to do it on a weekend, when people are free (unless you are using a removal company)
unfortunately you have to move out of your previous house on the same day as you move into your new house due to the buyers of your old house wanting access to it on completion day.

Completion on a weekend is difficult to get organized due to solicitors and removal companies wanting the weekends off.

I think most people just take a day's holiday and deal with it. I presume that the OP's employer gives him some holiday entitlement? Otherwise he's taking a day's unpaid leave (or defrauding his employer and phoning in sick)

Paul

happytechie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:02   #23
dirtydog
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 47,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Dog doesn't care to understand the concept of what's being said.
I don't think I'm the only one

Why can you move during the week, but not at the weekend?
dirtydog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:04   #24
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
Why can you move during the week, but not at the weekend?
Is your IQ leading you to complete nonsense conclusions again? Where did I say i wanted to move particularly during the week or during the weekend?
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:15   #25
dirtydog
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 47,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
Is your IQ leading you to complete nonsense conclusions again? Where did I say i wanted to move particularly during the week or during the weekend?
Here. Your response to another poster who suggested moving on the weekend was:
Quote:
Not really, it's a rather "big" move, 4 people loads of stuff.
dirtydog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:17   #26
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
Here. Your response to another poster who suggested moving on the weekend was:
Ehm... I think your IQ is now dropping to it's lowest ever....

I commented that it was a "bigger" move, i never said i would prefer or want to do this during week or weekend.
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:19   #27
dirtydog
PermaBanned
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 47,416
In that case, your problem is solved. You can move at the weekend, you don't need to take any time off work.
dirtydog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:23   #28
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog
In that case, your problem is solved. You can move at the weekend, you don't need to take any time off work.
Yes you're right dogmaster, thanks for the advice!
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:41   #29
stoofa
Capodecina
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chatteris
Posts: 10,396
There is a reason why something like 95% of Contract Exchanges (on house purchases) go through on a Friday - so people can move over a weekend.

Anyway, thread has been done to death.
Legally your entitled to nothing.
You've got your legal holiday allowance and thatls about it.
Sick day is a possability, just make sure there is no chance your boss could have any idea you'd only be "pulling a sicky" as it could be classed as gross misconduct to go off sick and then move.
It would solve the lack of holidays from work, alas on a perminent basis.
stoofa is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 11:56   #30
Dr_Evil
Mobster
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SE London
Posts: 3,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoofa
There is a reason why something like 95% of Contract Exchanges (on house purchases) go through on a Friday - so people can move over a weekend.

Anyway, thread has been done to death.
Legally your entitled to nothing.
You've got your legal holiday allowance and thatls about it.
Sick day is a possability, just make sure there is no chance your boss could have any idea you'd only be "pulling a sicky" as it could be classed as gross misconduct to go off sick and then move.
It would solve the lack of holidays from work, alas on a perminent basis.
thanks for the constructive advise - I'll take a few extra days holiday entitlement for this then.
Dr_Evil is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:38.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)