bought 8mb broadband but only getting 2mb (BT)

Soldato
I was with Biscit broadband for 2 years before they went into admin. I had up to 8mb with Biscit and got speeds of around 800kb/s. I've had my 8mb bt connection for over 2 weeks now but i'm only getting 2mbs. Speeds are around 250kb/s.

I was told to wait 10 days after my line was active to start getting upto 8mb. Well its past those 10 days and nothing has happened.

I want to call support but would rather just ask here to see if that has happened to anyone else.

Also, the support line at BT is horrible.

Xez

Xez

Associate
Try this here:

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Post your results, it may help people out.

Have you tried downloading at different times? Such as at off peak times? (past 10pm normally) Most ISP's state that in peak times speeds of no more than 2MB will be achieved.

Soldato
OP
I just did that test and get 2mb connection. I usualy leave newsbin on all day downloading stuff. Same speeds through out the day (200-250kb/s).

time to phone BT and sort this out. Might read a magazine or two while i'm put on hold. :rolleyes:

Soldato
iirc with bt the 8mb package is "up to 8mb" it doesn't specify that you will get 8mb speeds, i had this problem innitially i was getting around 4-5meg speeds then recently i'm getting 850+kbs down

Soldato
harris1986 said:
iirc with bt the 8mb package is "up to 8mb" ...

thats the same with any IP though. i know if i was getting 2mb rather than close to the 8mb i was paying for i would be complaining too. it would be ok if it was around the 6-7mb mark but not 2mb. thats taking the wet fish

Caporegime
Paste what the BT Speedtest actually says (excluding phone numbers and usernames obviously) - there should be an IP profile value.

Soldato
OP
harris1986 said:
iirc with bt the 8mb package is "up to 8mb" it doesn't specify that you will get 8mb speeds, i had this problem innitially i was getting around 4-5meg speeds then recently i'm getting 850+kbs down

I had upto 8mb with biscit and got around 4-6mb speeds.

Soldato
When you say stuck what do you mean?

I have 8mb ADSL with BT, albeit due to distance from exchange I only really expected 3mb max. However due to being in a new house with some dodgy extension wiring i was getting some shockingly poor speeds like 128kb or less during the learning period. Went to test socket and things improved a lot but even though it synchs at 2.7 and stays connected robustly(35 days at the moment) the IP profile has never wavered off 2000k

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My advise is to go around every socket and check the wiring.

This link here will provide you with a step-by-step of what to look for :)

This way, if you sort the wiring (seeing as you say the master is better, which points to dodgy wiring) then you should maintain a decent sync and raise your profile.

Another option is to ring your ISP and ask them to contact BT Wholesale abour raising your profile (do this after you've fiddled with the wiring though)

Soldato
EVH said:
My advise is to go around every socket and check the wiring.

This link here will provide you with a step-by-step of what to look for :)

This way, if you sort the wiring (seeing as you say the master is better, which points to dodgy wiring) then you should maintain a decent sync and raise your profile.

Another option is to ring your ISP and ask them to contact BT Wholesale abour raising your profile (do this after you've fiddled with the wiring though)

I don't need to check the wiring, I already know it's cack :) Hence why i'm still just using the test socket full time. But it still stays stuck at 2000k. Guess I need to phone them then.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My profile went back up today.. can't stress how annoying 500k is!

Hardly the jump it seems, but i'm happy :D

Soldato
OP
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1671 kbps

I just got off the phone with BT and they said my connection will be upto 8mb on the 27th of April.

Not exactly 10 what they promised, but i've learned to never trust Bt.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Robert1986 said:
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps

That's your problem. If it's been connected at 8128 kbps for a few days or more, you've got Sticky Profile Syndrome and need to phone your ISP.

Associate
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6464 kbps

Does this look OK please ?

Soldato
hardc0re_tid said:
thats the same with any IP though. i know if i was getting 2mb rather than close to the 8mb i was paying for i would be complaining too. it would be ok if it was around the 6-7mb mark but not 2mb. thats taking the wet fish

Why do people always say that they are paying for 8mbps. You are paying for up to 8mbps, bt cant help the fact that your line is crap or that you are to far away from the exchange.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
That's your problem. If it's been connected at 8128 kbps for a few days or more, you've got Sticky Profile Syndrome and need to phone your ISP.

I did phone them and they said my line would be upto 8mb on the 27th of April. They said its still going through tests to see what speed is best on my line.

What should i say to them if i were to phone them back up again?

Soldato
OP
teaboy5 said:
Why do people always say that they are paying for 8mbps. You are paying for up to 8mbps, bt cant help the fact that your line is crap or that you are to far away from the exchange.

Looks like someone didn't get their orange juice this morning. I know for a fact i can receive more than 2mb. With my last ISP i had a 6mb line.

Back
Top Bottom