Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:43   #1
e36Adz
Capodecina

Maximum working hours allowed per week?

Just wondering, what is the maximum number of hours per week that you are allowed to work?
e36Adz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:45   #2
Glaucus
Man of Honour

there isn't, unless you use machinery ect, then it's 12hr shifts with a minimum 8hrs between.

Glaucus is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:45   #3
neocon
Mobster

is it 48 but then some people work 70 hr weeks apparently

Gaming - i5 3570K - AMD R9 280 - 8GB - Qnix 27
HTPC - Intel NUC DN2820FYKH - 4GB / 64GB - Sony KDL42705B
Synology DS215J 2TB
neocon is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:46   #4
4p
Sgarrista

16 hours for me

EMA 4thawin
4p is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:47   #5
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocon
is it 48 but then some people work 70 hr weeks apparently
That's the working time directive, which you can opt out off.

it's meant to mean people dont have to work more than 48hrs, but you try doing that in some places and you'll get fired. it isn't worth the paper it's written on in the uk.

Last edited by Glaucus; 14th Jun 2007 at 19:49.
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:48   #6
Vonhelmet
Caporegime

I think there's limits on time between shifts, like 11 hours or something.

Wife, children, roof over heads, food in bellies.
2015 cycling goals and progress
Vonhelmet is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:55   #7
flibby
Soldato

Last company I worked at, we had a standard contract that stated that if need be, we may require the worker to work more than 48 hours, but if they chose too they didn't have to sign that section of the contract and it was by choice. Whilst a lot did sign it, others simply refused but they didn't loose their jobs or anything or got refused a job. Most companies will probably try to sneak it into a contract though in the chance that you may miss it or just "skim" the contract over then sign it, since you don't have to actually have the employee agree and sign to it seperately, then hammer you if you refused to work over the 48 hour mark since you are in breach of contract.

As vonhelmet states also, there is a limit on shift work, such as continental shift patterns whereby you can't work more than a certain amount of hours per shift for H&S reasons. There might also be limits imposed by a Union if you are part / or are going to be part of one.

Steam: Teaf / Battle.net: Teaf#1614
flibby is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 19:59   #8
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidHell2
there isn't, unless you use machinery ect, then it's 12hr shifts with a minimum 8hrs between.
That was what I thought, until someone told me about some new law? Fourty something hours I was told is the maximum allowed now. Any truth in this?
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:01   #9
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36Adz
That was what I thought, until someone told me about some new law? Fourty something hours I was told is the maximum allowed now. Any truth in this?
48 as I said, it depends on the company, some will basically force you out the door. Most will force you one way or the other to sign the opt out clause. depends if you work for a good company or a bad company.

But it's also not 48hrs per week, it's an average of 48hrs a week over 3months, so you could legally work 80hr weeks.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:02   #10
semi-pro waster
Don

Quote:
That is the Working Time Directive as already mentioned by AcidHell2, you are automatically included in the maximum 48hr/week provision unless you opt out but many companies make you opt out when you sign your contract. However you can (with a months notice) opt back in at any time and they cannot legally fire you for it - doesn't mean they won't fire you but they might dress up the reasons a bit.

"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." - Blaise Pascal
semi-pro waster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:02   #11
Vonhelmet
Caporegime

Quote:
I very much doubt it, given the fact that this country is full of workaholics doing 60, 70 hours plus.

Wife, children, roof over heads, food in bellies.
2015 cycling goals and progress
Vonhelmet is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:03   #12
e36Adz
Capodecina

Reason I ask is, I currently work weekends only (16 hours), and am looking for weekday work now that I'm free, preferrably PT but I'd also do FT if something came up. How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:04   #13
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-pro waster
That is the Working Time Directive as already mentioned by AcidHell2, you are automatically included in the maximum 48hr/week provision unless you opt out but many companies make you opt out when you sign your contract. However you can (with a months notice) opt back in at any time and they cannot legally fire you for it - doesn't mean they won't fire you but they might dress up the reasons a bit.
Thanks
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:05   #14
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Reason I ask is, I currently work weekends only (16 hours), and am looking for weekday work now that I'm free, preferrably PT but I'd also do FT if something came up. How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?

yes you can do as many hours as you like, if you opt out. unless your using machinery in which case it's 12hr shifts with 8hrs rest.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:07   #15
e36Adz
Capodecina

Quote:
yes you can do as many hours as you like, if you opt out. unless your using machinery in which case it's 12hr shifts with 8hrs rest.
Nice one mate. Just for the record I do not wish to work every hour God sends Part time hours would be ideal really.
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:09   #16
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Nice one mate. Just for the record I do not wish to work every hour God sends Part time hours would be ideal really.
what you want is the job I had when I was young, warehouse work 8hrs sat and sunday. with as much over time during the week as I wanted.
When I was "saving" for a tv, amp and stereo system. i did 6 12hr shifts and 1 8hr shift and took home over 1200 for the week ..

My best pay packet ever.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:10   #17
Clipsey
Soldato

I dont think there is a maximum if its your choice (obviously depending on your job )
I've worked 52 hours since monday and still have friday and saturday to go
(we have a big job on this wk)

Clipsey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:10   #18
semi-pro waster
Don

Quote:
How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?
You can do as many as you want really, however you should inform the company (your full time employer especially) that you are working over 48hr/week (averaged over a 3 month period as AcidHell2 says) so that they do not fall foul of their duty as employers - I believe they can veto the other job or only give you a certain amount of hours to make sure you aren't working too many but most companies will just get you to opt out of the WTD.

"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." - Blaise Pascal
semi-pro waster is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:14   #19
dafloppyone
Wise Guy

There is an eu law that says something like 60 or 50 cant remember which but it is a law./

dafloppyone is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:14   #20
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafloppyone
There is an eu law that says something like 60 or 50 cant remember which but it is a law./
read the thread

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:41   #21
neocon
Mobster

Quote:
48 as I said, it depends on the company, some will basically force you out the door. Most will force you one way or the other to sign the opt out clause. depends if you work for a good company or a bad company.

But it's also not 48hrs per week, it's an average of 48hrs a week over 3months, so you could legally work 80hr weeks.
i signed to opt out when i signed up with adecco

Gaming - i5 3570K - AMD R9 280 - 8GB - Qnix 27
HTPC - Intel NUC DN2820FYKH - 4GB / 64GB - Sony KDL42705B
Synology DS215J 2TB
neocon is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:43   #22
mctiny
Mobster

Quote:

I believe it is actually based on a rolling 13 week period as oppossed to a 3 month period.

mctiny is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:44   #23
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctiny
I believe it is actually based on a rolling 13 week period as oppossed to a 3 month period.

yep you are correct.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:47   #24
manoz
Soldato

39 where I worked and I thought that was regulation or somethin. Highly annoying cos I wanted at least 60. Hopefully they give me that much when I go back in the summer.

786 Vegan zombie so don't be afraid..
manoz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:48   #25
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoz
39 where I worked and I thought that was regulation or somethin. Highly annoying cos I wanted at least 60. Hopefully they give me that much when I go back in the summer.
it could be union imposed, or just in the contract.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 20:53   #26
manoz
Soldato

Quote:
it could be union imposed, or just in the contract.
I think it's more to do with them not wanting to give me more cos it would mean they would have to pay me time and a half. I did manage it a couple of summers ago by sneaking around different departments and asking the managers 4 work. They got a bit more strict, they like to be short staffed rather then pay someone time and a half, it is IKEA (Bristol) afterall.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 21:20   #27
SexyGreyFox
Man of Honour

The 48 hour rule has been out for a few years but recently I've heard that there is supposed to be a 'new' EU directive coming out that actually states no more than 48 hours. The management at a local company (JCB) were worrying about it because their workers regulary do 60 hours.

SexyGreyFox is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 21:21   #28
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoz
I think it's more to do with them not wanting to give me more cos it would mean they would have to pay me time and a half. I did manage it a couple of summers ago by sneaking around different departments and asking the managers 4 work. They got a bit more strict, they like to be short staffed rather then pay someone time and a half, it is IKEA (Bristol) afterall.

aghhh I hate that place, although do you get a discount? I will be in, beginning of august for about 4 crates of kopperberg for reading festival.

Old 14th Jun 2007, 21:22   #29
Adam
Sgarrista

My contract states the 48 hour working directive doesn't apply to me. Happy days!
Adam is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 21:26   #30
manoz
Soldato

Quote:
aghhh I hate that place, although do you get a discount? I will be in, beginning of august for about 4 crates of kopperberg for reading festival.
Yeah I do, 15%. About the only thing good about working there lol. The amount of staff has seriously declined since I started working a few years back, just not the same :/