Hiper Dead?

Soldato
Yesterday I managed to hook my rig up to my mates plasma and all was well until the PC crashed and wouldn't turn on again. The light on the motherboard was flashing but know the light won't turn on. The PSU is also making a funny noise when power is going through it. I'm pretty sure it's the Hiper which has gone but I just wanted to make sure.

AMD 64+ 3700+
Asus A8N SLi
Patriot 2GB
7800GTX
Hiper type r

Associate
Mundu said:
Yesterday I managed to hook my rig up to my mates plasma and all was well until the PC crashed and wouldn't turn on again. The light on the motherboard was flashing but know the light won't turn on. The PSU is also making a funny noise when power is going through it. I'm pretty sure it's the Hiper which has gone but I just wanted to make sure.

AMD 64+ 3700+
Asus A8N SLi
Patriot 2GB
7800GTX
Hiper type r
Sounds very much like it is the PSU. The motherboard won't need a hell of a lot of power to light up so that doesn't rule out a PSU problem. Easiest way to know is just to try another PSU as others have suggested, or test it with a DMM.

Associate
i have an asus mobo too which has a green led which shows when the power is ok to turn on, its probably the power supply just get a new more reliable one and if you get the hiper replaced just sell it. 400w should be plenty, maybe get the Enermax Liberty 400W, its modular and is 40 quid + vat and should be reliable. i wouldnt risk leaving the hiper in there any longer, it could start a fire/give out sparks or damage other components.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have no other PCs that have compatible parts but I may be able to use an old PSU. The red light on the back of the PSU is on.Also when I press the on button all i can hear is a sort of hissing sound.

Last edited:
Associate
Mundu said:
I have no other PCs that have compatible parts but I may be able to use an old PSU. The red light on the back of the PSU is on.Also when I press the on button all i can hear is a sort of hissing sound.
Not intended to be a patronising question, but have you checked that the mains cable is properly jammed into the PSU socket?

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Jesus i wouldn't, good chance when he flicks the switch BOOM, and takes the whole rig with it, he'll need more than a new PSU then. :D
I think saying there's a "good chance" is exaggerating slightly. Of course if you do want to be safe you can always buy a decent brand PSU to isolate the problem and take it back if it turns out that it isn't necessary. This way it'll only be a temporary expense.

Back
Top Bottom