Dell Vostro 1500

Soldato
As plenty of people are considering purchasing a Dell Vostro, I thought I'd give my initial impressions of my machine which I recieved yesterday. I purchased a Dell Vostro 1500 on the 2nd August, and it took 18 days to deliver.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 Processor (1.8GHz,800MHz,2MB L2 cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT
Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

I took a few pictures and you'll have to excuse the quality of them, I was clever enough to take them in a dark room with a camera that has dust over the lense. I couldn't be bothered to re-take them when I realised :p. I also hadn't taken the protective covering off the laptop at this point hence the stickers.

Images can be found here.

My picture of the power bricks compares the Vostro one (top) to one from my Inspiron 5150.

My initial impressions are as follows:

Screen

I love the screen, I read a lot of rubbish about it being too reflective. But I usually sit on my laptop with it facing a window and I have no problems whatsoever.

Build Quality

Feels very solid. It's a touch heavier than my old laptop (Inspiron 5150) but not by much. The battery does indeed stick out the back by about 2cm but you won't notice that at all so I wouldn't let it worry you. I also read a lot about the battery not fitting snugly and being a bit loose, again this isn't a problem on mine so no complaints here.

Keyboard/Touchpad

Keyboard is very nice to use, not got a problem there at all. Touchpad is fine as well. My only gripe is the buttons, as they seem to press down a lot further than I'm used to. The media buttons on the front of the laptop are also quite useful and control music nicely through media player (they also light up blue which is cool :))

Sound

Now this is one thing that I was very impressed with. It's probably because I've not experienced it before on a laptop, but the volume is VERY loud on max settings and it's almost like having a Hi Fi in the room, which is brilliant for me as it means I can sing along to my music without anyone hearing :D I'm yet to try any headphones through the laptop.

Battery life

I recieved the laptop at around 2.30pm yesterday, and had it plugged in until about 3.30 (presuming it came pre-charged as well). After that I had to unplug it to charge my other laptop. I spent from about then till 7.30 listening to music, surfing the net and copying across gb's of files from DVD's before it gave up on me. So personally I think 4 hours is pretty good for that. It'd probably go 5 - 5.5 had I not used the DVD drive or played music.

Vista Business

I know a lot of people are possibly put off by the fact that it includes Vista Business. I can't say much since this is the first time I've touched any version of Vista, but I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I'm not sure if this was possible in XP, but it has a feature to upload via ftp through windows explorer rather than having a seperate program which is a godsend for me.

Webcam

I've never had a webcam so I was pleasantly surprised when I started having a bash with it. In dark rooms it struggles but in well lit rooms its very good quality. Dell include a program which allows you to use the webcam as a camera/video camera and record to various resolutions which is useful. It also lets you use it as a motion detector, and it'll email you when the camera detects a motion :o As well as that it lets you set it up as a security camera and will let you embed with video into a webpage. I tested the video recording last night and it picks up every sound brilliantly as well, the mic is very good quality.

Games

I'm yet to try any games, after I finish this I'm gonna reboot then download CSS so I'll let you know after how I get on.

Not sure what else to document. Overall I'm very pleased and for the money it's a brilliant purchase. My only gripe is that the power lead is a tad shorter than what I'm used to, apart from that I don't have anything which bugs me about it :)

Soldato
Excellent little review!

Can't wait to get mine now. Ordered pretty much the same spec as you but went for the 6 cell and Bluetooth module. It'll probably spend most of the time connected to the mains and Bluetooth will be handy for reducing wires. I'll be able to sync my Vario II wirelessly and also use a Bluetooth mouse to remove another wire.

My only question is this.

Have Dell included a whole load of useless bloat with the standard installation? If they have, whats included and also can it be easily removed?

Soldato
OP
Erm, I wouldn't say a *load* of bloat. Upto now I've uninstalled Tiscali internet, some Orange thing and Google Desktop.

Ideally I'd probably do a reinstall but I can't really be bothered :o

Soldato
Don't think you can do a clean reinstall as Dell don't provide the original Vista installation DVD.

If it was anything like my last laptop from Dell, you just get a hidden recovery partition on the HD that contains an image of the factory default installation with the software Dell include.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Don't think you can do a clean reinstall as Dell don't provide the original Vista installation DVD.

If it was anything like my last laptop from Dell, you just get a hidden recovery partition on the HD that contains an image of the factory default installation with the software Dell include.

Dell do provide OS discs now, or at least, they did with my Mum's Dimension desktop that she bought a few weeks ago (with Vista HP). You used to have to order it at extra cost (£5 when I bought my Inspiron 630m last year).

Soldato
OP
GuruJockStrap said:

I got both the recovery disk and a Vista Business OS disk :)

Caporegime
Thanks for your post! Gets a nice score on the WEI too. I'm curious as to why the gaming graphics 5.2 is higher than the 4.8 for Aero? I would have thought games would be more taxing than Aero!

First thing I'm planning on doing is wiping the drive and sticking 64-bit Vista Ultimate on which I have sitting here ready and waiting. Roll on 9/11. Oh. Spooky!

Man of Honour
7th of September Mine should be coming, can't wait :D

Probably will do fresh install, if any of the bloatware is useful, is it found on seperate discs?

Does turning aero off help with performance?

Thanks for the pics, wouldn't mind some more in brighter light ;)

Caporegime
Ripper said:
Another thing, my ETA was the 30th of August (ordered 2nd), and it arrived on the 20th. So don't be put off by huge delays, chances are it'll come early.

Do you remember how long each stage lasted for? Pre-production, production, etc?

Soldato
OP
ic1male said:
Do you remember how long each stage lasted for? Pre-production, production, etc?

Pre production lasted around 2 weeks. The other stages just automatically went by in the space of 24 hours.

I think the majority of the software is found on the drivers/utilities disk.

Associate
Dell are having problems with supplying laptops at the moment as they are having great difficulty getting hold of a lot of screens required for them. There is an industry wide shortage of laptop components!

Associate
I got mine today, and gotta say its nice. But im not too keen on Vista thinking of sticking XP on it.

Talking about games, Ive got CSS on the Laptop had a little blast earlier everything seemed very nice, good fps too.

My expected delivery was 3rd Sept. Arrived today though

Associate
I got my Vostro 1500 today aswell, expected delivery was on friday and it came today :) .

My first impressions are very similar to the op, the sound is impressive compared to my girlfriends laptop which is a deffinate tumbs up. I got the 1440x900 screen and is very sharp and there seems to be so much space for a 15.4 inch screen.

The only little niggle for me is the play/pause button on the front seems to be quite hard to press unless i use my nail, the other buttons on the front seem to be ok though, is anyone elses like this?

I'm very pleased with it for the money that i payed :D

Man of Honour
Awwww man, I should stop looking at this thread.

Keeps on making me excited and anxious for a delivery (supposedly 7th sept but ppl seem to be getting them quite early).

Mine still says in pre-production, from production stage does it soon after quickly deliver?

Soldato
OP
Just had a bash on CSS, 1280x800 with everything on high. Averages around 100-140fps, didn't take notice during a firefight. It's VERY smooth, I'm well impressed since the last time I played CSS was on a ti4200 and I got about 30fps :)

Back
Top Bottom