Lian Li A70B Review - BRAND NEW

Soldato
Hey guys,

An exciting moment for me here on the forums with my very first product review.

I have the new Lian Li PC-A70B which is part of their Full Tower Classical Series.

Firstly I’d like to thank Lian Li for supplying this case for review.

Here’s the web link for a synopsis of the design on Lian Li’s site:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=133&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=d

The box arrived and the first impressions are very good.

box.jpg

Lian Li have packaged the case incredibly well with double thickness cardboard, polystyrene and a plastic wrap for the case itself. The only frustrating side effect of this is that it will take ages to unpack your beautiful new toy!

Also, despite its massive proportions the box is feather light… testament to Lian Li’s choice of aluminium as the production material.

First things first I assessed the overall impression I got from the case and also used my previous case (a Lian Li PC-101B) for comparison.

1-1.jpg

The A70 is well built and finished to a high standard. Panel gaps are small and despite its weight the structure is very rigid and strong. As you can see it is also a good deal larger than the PC-101.

2-1.jpg

Externals:

Up front you have five 5.25” bays the obligatory power and reset switches and a large meshed area. Behind this hides two 120mm fans supplying cool air to the HDD’s directly behind.

3-1.jpg

In most cases these fans would be responsible for hoovering up most of the dust from the room and liberally coating all your expensive PC equiptment but not in this case. Lian Li have thoughtfully included filters for each. These are easily accessed too via the main front panel which has be mounted using spring loaded push pins.
It’s now a 30 second job to remove the front cover, hoover the filter and reattach.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The front USB, firewire and audio sockets are located on the top of the case just like my old PC-101. However, unlike my old Lian Li they are protected by a flap which helps to stop dust filling the sockets.

4.jpg

As with any normal case there are blanking slots for the motherboards expansion slots, there is also the rectangle to accommodate the motherboards I/O panel, a lone 120mm fan situated in a location ideal for extracting hot air from the CPU and space for a PSU below the motherboard.

5.jpg

The A70 has added to this normal layout by adding an extra zone above the motherboard and is the reason for the tall tendencies of the case. This area has two possible uses –

1. A suppied 3x HDD caddy and extra 120mm fan mount.
2. An extra PSU mount is included in the package allowing a second to be added.

A final point to mention is the inclusion of inlet and outflow holes for water cooling applications.

Indeed, while I’m considering both the externals of the case and water cooling too it’s probably a good time to mention that Lian Li can provide a replacement top panel for the A70 to allow for extra water cooling. The panel consists of two 120mm fan holes for a 120.2 radiator and another pair of holes to accommodate the plumbing inherent with that type of install.
It is becoming quite obvious that Lian Li have thought long and hard with the design of this case. Link HERE

T-70-a.jpg

~ Image courtesy of Lian Li Industrial Co ~

Now onto the internals:

As with most cases access is through the side panels. These are very thin and lightweight and secured via the 3 thumb screws i've arrowed. One set for each side:

6.jpg

Image removed, no hotlinking, JG

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They have sprung sections (arrowed again) along the top of the panel to provide a vibration absorbing seal.

7.jpg

This is very different to my old PC-101B which had thicker panels and a single thumbscrew attached to a sliding lever that locked the panel in place. In an illogical way I wish the A70’s panels were a little thicker and that the panel mechanism was like the PC-101’s. However, for those reasons that case used to ring and buzz unlike the A70!

It’s quickly stating it’s case very impressively!!!

Once inside you can see the 7x HDD bay which uses additional rubber grommets unlike the additional 3x HDD bay which is a direct screw in job. This allows quick and easy access as well as a secure, vibration free fitting. Another two 120mm fans run in line with the front intake fans to increase airflow over the drives and guarantee that it reaches the GPU, CPU and RAM behind. Behind this second row of fans you can also see slots for supporting full OEM ATX video, raid, etc cards.

8.jpg

Further back and floating in space above the motherboard tray is an aluminium and plastic creation spanning the height of the case. This (with the addition of supplied thumbscrews) allows for extra support of heavyweight expansion cards.

9.jpg

Most likely it will be used for the heavier video cards like Nvidia’s 8800 and ATi’s 2900 series.

Another useful addition to ease the woes of installation is the removable motherboard tray.

10.jpg

The motherboard and many ancillaries (CPU, cooler and RAM) can be installed outside of the case and simply slotted into the case as soon as you are ready. This should make it a good deal easier to install larger cooling components as you won’t be restricted by tight corners within the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here you can see the motherboard tray out of the case and with the full selection of extra screws and plates for use with the case.

11.jpg

Installation:

System:

Q6600@3ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3P
4gb OCZ PC2-5300
8800GTX
3xHDD (120gb, 160gb, 160gb)

Motherboard installation was quick and easy thanks to the removable tray.

12.jpg

Lian Li provide a hex tool to allow the simple installation of the motherboard standoffs in any configuration you could imagine. Even very large heatsinks like the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme you can see in the picture fit. It was a bit of a tight squeeze but fit none the less!

Only thing I would mention is that due to the sheer size of the extreme the card support span could not be installed. This did not worry me though as the 8800GTX fit very securely with the two standard PCI screws.

Lian Li’s trademark PSU mount allowed very simple installation – I remember older cases where the PSU was the first installed item as It could not pass by the larger coolers that we see in performance PC’s. No such trouble here – PSU comes in through the back plate of the case… bish, bash, bosh!!!

HDD installation is equally simple. Slide in rails on rubber grommets help both speed of install and quietness of operation.

To complement the installation of the optical drive I decided to purchase some other Lian Li products. The C-01B DVD stealth cover, EX-33B fan intake with additional 3x HDD bay, MF-515B 5.25” – 3.5” drive bay adapter and CR-35B multi card reader. These installed perfectly and left no panel gaps – I feel they really add to the appearance of the case and certainly add a mixture of functionality and cooling performance.

The supplied fans are acceptable but I would recommend replacing them if you want true quiet operation. Even at 7v they were a little too audible for my liking.

14.jpg

As you can see for my install pictures I chose to trade them for 1000rpm Sharkoon Silent Eagles. These proved much quieter and shifted as much air as the Lian Li ‘Adda’ fans @ 7v.

Compared directly to my PC-101B the temps improved by 2-3c over the motherboard and 3-5c for the HDD, CPU and GPU. Pretty impressive you’ll agree and even more so when you consider the overall low volume level and complete lack of case resonance and ringing!

Conclusion:

The case is a beautiful example of what can be achieved when the needs and wants of a performance PC build are considered thoroughly. It’s not perfect (we’d all have one if that was the case!) but it does come closer than any case I’ve had the pleasure of using.

Toolless design from case opening to installation of certain items within the case would have been nice. As would quieter fans and slightly thicker body panels.

Despite these negatives (which I’m really scraping the barrel for!) this is a more than recommended case and as long as the price is right I can see it becoming an instant classic!

panda5star.jpg

5 out of 5 from me.

Thanks for reading!

gt

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice, how much was it? (Unless Lian Li actually 'supplied' it in which case how would I go about getting a v350 to review? I've had 3 of their cases in 2 years I think the 4th should be free :D)

Soldato
OP
Looks nice, how much was it? (Unless Lian Li actually 'supplied' it in which case how would I go about getting a v350 to review? I've had 3 of their cases in 2 years I think the 4th should be free :D)
Yes they did. I enquired as to the date of release as i was interested in reviewing it for the forum - there's no rrp as far as i know at the moment.

gt

Last edited:
Soldato
How are the stock fans you get? I know in the past they have been a bit hit and miss, the 1500rpm ones being quite poor and the translucent 1000rpm ones being very good.

Edit: Never mind, saw what you had put. Must be the 1500rpm models.

Soldato
OP
How are the stock fans you get? I know in the past they have been a bit hit and miss, the 1500rpm ones being quite poor and the translucent 1000rpm ones being very good.
The ones supplied are the standard ADDA 1500's. Fairly noisy at both 12v and 7v. Also, 5v isn't really worth bothering with if you plan to extract hot air.

Some yate's, amber's, sharkoons etc would be advisable.

gt

Associate
Very nice looking case, I really like it. Only thing would be that I'm not too sure about having the PSU at the bottom but since theres 2 mounts for it, it all looks pretty sweet. Good review :)

Naud

Associate
If you locate the PSU at the top is anything provided to cover the hole in the back of the case at the bottom where the PSU would otherwise go since it doesn't look like anything spare from the top location would fit?

Or do you just have to fiddle a bit.

Back
Top Bottom