Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 9th Oct 2007, 13:39   #1
DJMK4
Capodecina

Replacing a front drivers side wheel hub on a Nissan Almera W(2000)

I have broken a stud on my front driver side wheel, i think instead of trying to repair it by bashing out the old stud it might be easier for me to replace the wheel hub. How easy will this be? bearing in mind that it has ABS.

DJMK4 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2007, 13:51   #2
Virdi
Mobster

ignore

I've given up on Overclocking...!
Virdi is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2007, 21:54   #3
Defcon5
Soldato

No idea, but that is the most specific thread title I have ever seen

Defcon5 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2007, 22:39   #4
deano
Wise Guy

assuming the wheel is off and by hub you mean disk, then fairly straight forward. i would replace the pads at the same time, so you would need 2 disks £20-40 pads £10-30. remove caliper remove caliper bracket, remove disk. fit new disks and pads. Remeber to bleed the caliper when pushing the piston back. ABS won't make much difference as long as you support the caliper and no cables or pipes to it are tight.

HTH if I understood the question corectly.
deano is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 12:20   #5
DJMK4
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
assuming the wheel is off and by hub you mean disk, then fairly straight forward. i would replace the pads at the same time, so you would need 2 disks 20-40 pads 10-30. remove caliper remove caliper bracket, remove disk. fit new disks and pads. Remeber to bleed the caliper when pushing the piston back. ABS won't make much difference as long as you support the caliper and no cables or pipes to it are tight.

HTH if I understood the question corectly.
Sorry i think you have misunderstood, the break disks/pads are fine, the problem is 1 of the studs snapped when i was changing the wheel, so i either need to replace the stud by bashing the old one out and putting a new one in through the back, or changing the wheel hub completely which will have the studs attached.

Old 10th Oct 2007, 15:06   #6
[huzeeee]
Hitman

Take off the wheel, caliper and disk, there shouldbe a huge castle nut in the middle of the hub, undo that and the hub should knock off with a hammer. Fit the new one in the reverse sequence. It should take no more than 2 hours, even if you have a very basic knowledge of cars. Plus make sure the big nut is tightened correctley and the split pin is put back through the big castle nut or yor wheel bearings will wear out quickley.

They say that Big car = Small penis.
Well I've got a mini....
[huzeeee] is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 20:11   #7
Jonny ///M
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by [huzeeee] View Post
Take off the wheel, caliper and disk, there shouldbe a huge castle nut in the middle of the hub, undo that and the hub should knock off with a hammer. Fit the new one in the reverse sequence. It should take no more than 2 hours, even if you have a very basic knowledge of cars. Plus make sure the big nut is tightened correctley and the split pin is put back through the big castle nut or yor wheel bearings will wear out quickley.
The nut usually takes alot of force to undo btw......i think i had my dads lifting off the ground before it cracks loose!

The pad carrier is attached to the hub(i think) so thats gotta come off aswell. Could also do with a hub puller if it doesnt come off with a hammer.

Please read the FAQ regarding signatures
Jonny ///M is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 20:16   #8
Crossy
Wise Guy

Just replace the stud. Be alot easier. Just use a punch to bash it out. then put the new stud in from the back and shove a load of washers on the stud and tighten up the nut. it will gradually tighten up the stud onto the splines. That way your not having to take the hub off and you dont have to bash it to hell.
Crossy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 20:46   #9
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny ///M View Post
The nut usually takes alot of force to undo btw......i think i had my dads lifting off the ground before it cracks loose!

The pad carrier is attached to the hub(i think) so thats gotta come off aswell. Could also do with a hub puller if it doesnt come off with a hammer.
4 foot steel pipe on a ratchet. Then stand on it. It's a must need for big bolts on cars.

Glaucus is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 21:23   #10
whitecrook
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidHell2 View Post
4 foot steel pipe on a ratchet. Then stand on it. It's a must need for big bolts on cars.
Use a socket and bar (plus the pipe), not a ratchet as you'll probably damage it.
whitecrook is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 22:06   #11
MuvverRussia
Wise Guy

Yeah, you'll screw the ratchet. Use a breaker bar, or better- find someone with an air compressor and impact wrench. Far easier.
MuvverRussia is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2007, 22:19   #12
DJMK4
Capodecina

Ordered the parts today from an online broker, got a wheel stud & nut. Going to give it a bash (Excuse the pun) on the weekend