How i lapped my TR Ultra Extreme (Not For 56k)

Associate
Well my new TR Ultra Ex arrived the other day and as with all of them is wasn't flat :rolleyes:. So i decided to lap it and post my finding on here with some pics of how i got on.

The cooler that i had before was an coolermaster geminII with 2 coolermaster fans attached to the top of it. The thing was massive, didn't allow me easy access to the ram and was bs at cooling (hence the upgrade).

Now when i say the new heat sink was convex i mean convex....

DSCF0140.jpg

To get this cooler flat i went to my fathers workshop to see what i could do armed with a metal file and some wet and dry.

First of i colored in the bottom of the heat sink with a pen

DSCF0141.jpg

and went at it with the file for about 30 secs. Here is the end result.

DSCF0142.jpg

as you can clearly see the top of the convex mound has been taken off and showing the extent of the curvature. It was then time to get on with the wet and dry, and to do this i re-colored in the bottom of the heat sink and set to work on some 600 grit. After about an hour i had this. As you can see there is still some of the ink left on as were not finished yet

DSCF0147.jpg

15 mins later...

DSCF0148.jpg

and finally

DSCF0149.jpg

I had used the 600 grit so much that at this point it was finer than the 1200 grit that i had to hand so i didn't bother using it :p

All the while i was doing the wet and dry i was checking my progress with a metal ruler in the following places (Please excuse the bad effort in paint)

checks.jpg

This is important as it will show up if you are sanding it down unevenly

Here is a pic of the end result

DSCF0150.jpg

Now the important bit, how are my temps?

Well, with the coolermaster geminII @ stock i was getting 39,38,38,37 idle and 60,59,59,58 load. Not to good as you might agree. Now with the TR coupled with a Yate Loon D12SH-12 and a D12SH-12 swapped with the standard Lian Li exhaust fan i am now getting 38,36,34,37 idle and 52,48,49,52 load which is much better. I am a little worried about the 4*C differance and this may be solved by resetting the heat sink and/or when the the thermal past that settled in.

When i get some time i will overclock and see how much further i can get the chip and post up here. I could only get it to 3Ghz at 70*C load with the coolermaster and i am hoping the significantly improve that.

cheers

Wiz

Soldato
Great work. The temperature difference on your CPU cores could probably be resolved, or at least minimised somewhat, if you lapped the CPU itself too as the Intel IHS is known for being concave.

Associate
OP
Wow, hacking it with a file brave man indeed but nice lap M8.

Did you do the processor as well?

Thanks. Yeah the file was a bit of a risk but i didn't want to be doing wet and dry for 6 hours :p. If you feel confident with the file and know you can file it relatively then you will be fine, getting the wet and dry to just smooth it out.

Havent done the cpu as i want to sell it for a penryn and this could de-value it ;). I'll try some overclocks tonight when i get in from work and post up my results.

Soldato
Very nice, I am seriously thinking about doing the same to me B3 q6600 as well as my Noctua heatsink.

I would have thought that if you were selling it on it would be most likely going to someone who knows a bit about overclocking and so wouldn't mind having a pre-lapped cpu and / or heatsink ... so I would say despite the loss of warranty it might help it hold onto some value ?

Associate
Very nice, I am seriously thinking about doing the same to me B3 q6600 as well as my Noctua heatsink.

I would have thought that if you were selling it on it would be most likely going to someone who knows a bit about overclocking and so wouldn't mind having a pre-lapped cpu and / or heatsink ... so I would say despite the loss of warranty it might help it hold onto some value ?

more likely to decrease value,they will probably think lapped cpu=oc'd to hell,i would be more inclined to buy an unlapped cpu then lap it myself,id leave it as is if he plans on selling it.Good job on the hsf though wizardskills:)

Soldato
How come a lot of poeple are buying the Ultra Extreme and not the IFX-14 ?

Have i missed something ?

from the reviews I have seen the extreme performs slightly better than the IFX-14 around 1/2c.. however never seen any reviews at high overclocks 3.8ghz+ where I would imagine the IFX-14 might perform better as with the extreme you hit a point where it can no longer handle the heat output from the CPU no matter how big and fast your fans are

i.e. at my 3906 clock it didnt matter if I ran the fans at 3000 or 3700 RPM which suggests the heatsink itself is at its max thermal load

Associate
OP
more likely to decrease value,they will probably think lapped cpu=oc'd to hell,i would be more inclined to buy an unlapped cpu then lap it myself,id leave it as is if he plans on selling it.Good job on the hsf though wizardskills:)

Thanks, this is what i was thinking as i plan to sell the q6600 and get a q9450 or q9550. As for overclocking i havent had chance to test this as my Striker BIOS decided to corrupt itself when saving settings :mad: , anyway it was rubbish at overclocking. I have a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 in the post atm so i will try some overclocking with that and see what i can get, hopfully arround 3.3 Ghz and above is my target :cool:

Soldato
Did you lapp the base with the CPU clamped in a vice as shown in the pics? If so never seen it done this was so how did you do it.

Also if the CPU is a good clocker then I don't personally think it being lapped will affect it's resale price, I certainly wouldn't have any qualms in paying a similar amount for it compared to a non lapped one.

Back
Top Bottom