Friend "going to be sued" for downloading?

Soldato
Hey, I've got a mate who may have downloaded something recently.

He's been handed a court order etc, basically they're suing him for £600.

The company rang a bell, wasnt there a thread a while back with someone who got a letter for a game he didn't download? I can't find the thread.

Any help would b great.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do they know he did it :confused:

Don't they seed the software on p2p networks, and record which IP addresses download/upload from them, then send a threatening letter to the ISP to find out who was on that IP at a given time.

Well, i believe they employ companies that do this, although they won't reveal how they actually know it was you because i don't think it's morally/legally allowed. I dunno if that is true, but i probably read it somewhere. :p

Man of Honour
Don't they seed the software on p2p networks, and record which IP addresses download/upload from them, then send a threatening letter to the ISP to find out who was on that IP at a given time.

Well, i believe they employ companies that do this, although they won't reveal how they actually know it was you because i don't think it's morally/legally allowed. I dunno if that is true, but i probably read it somewhere. :p

Yeah, they'd be breaking the law themselves if they did that :\

Soldato
Make a pic of your behind.
Print it.
Write: Kiss my ***
Put in envelope.
Send back to Davenport Lyons.

Perhaps also send them one of them middle finger toys...
Also tell em their next letter will be used as toilet paper.

Last edited:
Soldato
So his ISP just handed out his details to a firm claiming to be a solicitor without any police involvement? Sounds like a breach of data protection to me.

Indeed, they probably obtained the details illegally (entrapment) and as you said breached the data protection act... send a nicely worded letter back ;)

Back
Top Bottom