Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 3rd Mar 2008, 04:42   #1
Scania
Capodecina

LGV / HGV Blind Spots.

Seems to me that many motorists have little or no idea of the blind spots in a Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) or, truck to you & I.

So, I got out my trusty camera to show you just what can be seen from the mirrors of a 44 tonner.

Also, after a bit of googling, I found a diagram that roughly gives an idea of the field of vision for the average artic driver.

Most of this is fairly self-explanatory. Hopefully it's helpful.
The darker the shade of green the harder it is for the driver to see you-ASSUMING HE'S LOOKING IN THE CORRECT MIRROR to see you.
Red areas are completely blind to the driver.Note the blind areas directly in front and to the right of the cab. They are big enough to lose someone pushing a cycle flat against the truck.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic 1) and pic 2) Truck turning left/on a left hand bend.
Rear of the trailer will be moving closer to the kerb and further to the left than the cab.
The cab will be on the white line or even crossing into the other carriageway depending on how sharp the turn is and how wide the road is.
Driver is HIGHLY unlikely to be looking in his right hand mirror unless to check if the corner of the trailer is in the right hand lane-and all he'll see in it is the headboard of the trailer if he is.
Predominantly he'll be looking in the left mirror/ahead.

Pic 3) Truck going in a straight line.
This is also the same visibility as a rigid or non-articulated vehicle. Assume the driver is using his mirrors only in the direction of travel in a rigid vehicle.
If the truck is stationary or it's safe to do so-(ie assuming no oncoming traffic there needs to be no bends in the road coming up and the truck isn't indicating) then this is the safest time to overtake.
DO NOT UNDERTAKE while it's moving-and if you MUST undertake then only do so if you KNOW the truck isn't going to move before you're past.
DO NOT pull up in the nearside red zone by the cab.The kerbside mirror shows very little. If the driver is going to miss you,unless you're directly behind the trailer this is where he'll miss you while the truck is stationary.
We'd far rather you pulled up directly in front of us and we could see you.

Pic 4) and pic 5) Truck turning right/on a right hand bend.
Rear of the trailer will be on the white line or even crossing into the other carriageway depending on how sharp the turn is and how wide the road is.
BEWARE the back end of the trailer-if this is a very sharp bend the rear of the trailer will be moving to the left as it pivots round the axles. This is a SERIOUS crush hazard and the driver CANNOT SEE IT at all and is unlikely to know the trailer has hit someone. I once ripped the front bumper and valence from a Discovery that tried to push through and I didn't feel it.
Driver will be splitting attention between right mirror(back of trailer),left mirror(Is the headboard going to intrude on the path?) and ahead.

If an articulated lorry isn't stopped in a straight line DON'T undertake. Your chances of being seen are slim if bent left and nil if bent right and you're likely to get crushed as either the cab or trailer will be coming very close to the kerb.
For the same reason don't cycle up behind one in the red zone at speed then pass-the driver may already have committed to a manoeuvre because his mirrors look clear.

Shoot me for taking pictures of my mirrors whilst moving, but, I decided to add those to give you all a true idea of the view from mine & many other HGV mirrors.

Nearside Mirror

Offside Mirror

Kerb mirror.
Note, the rig is straight, so I can clearly see down both sides, as soon as an artic turns, this is not the case!
I hope the above is of some use, if it helps one person here not get side swiped by an HGV, then I'm a happy bunny.

Last edited by Scania; 3rd Mar 2008 at 04:58.
Scania is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 08:15   #2
Peter Diffey
Wise Guy

I saw the serious crush you describe in pictures 4 and 5. Stupid move really by the car driver as it was on a roundabout so should always give space for truckt.
Merc got destroyed down one side and the truck driver just kept driving, didnt even feel it

PSN: Hus_uk
Peter Diffey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 08:30   #3
4T5
Man of Honour

Are you demonstrating Safety by taking pics with your mobile whilst driving a 44 tonner + +

DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
4T5 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 09:11   #4
shrek2
Wise Guy

Ugh. Lorry drivers.
shrek2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:09   #5
penski
PermaBanned

Great thread, fella

*n
penski is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:13   #6
Fireskull
Sgarrista

Heh I just try to stay away from lorries, Cars have trouble seeing me never mind lorries, At roundabouts aswell always keep back lol, the amount of cars I see trying to go underneath lorries when the lorry obviously has to go out wide is unbelievable.

Please read the FAQ regarding signatures.
Fireskull is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:15   #7
Lopéz
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by penski View Post
Great thread, fella

*n
Agreed, ignore the likes of shrek2.

In a collision, there you are. In an explosion, where are you?
Lopéz is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:18   #8
Conscript
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek2 View Post
Ugh. Lorry drivers.
Ugh. Trolls.

Conscript is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:19   #9
4T5
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopéz View Post
Agreed, ignore the likes of shrek2.
Agreed.
I always say to myself If I can't see the mirrors they can't see me. I have seen a car that has been run over by the trailer wheels though, kind of sticks in your mind a bit
A mates brother drives HGV & was parked in a lay by when a car ploughed into the back of him, He said it didn't spill his tea

DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?
4T5 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:22   #10
Diesel
Wise Guy

I agree, a very informative thread.

I'd never given much thought to the blind spots of a truck, but they are bigger than expected, especially that one to the right of the cab. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Diesel is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 14:40   #11
Scania
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc30 View Post
Are you demonstrating Safety by taking pics with your mobile whilst driving a 44 tonner + +
Erm, yes.

'twas for a good reason...... wonder if a traffic copper would have seen it that way?

Last edited by Scania; 3rd Mar 2008 at 14:57.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 15:51   #12
Cyanide
Mobster

I feel for you, I lost a HGV in my blindspot pulling onto the M1 earlier today and mine doesn't even class as an LGV! Luckily he was polite enough to have already shifted into the middle lane to let me out, otherwise I would have had fun...

Cyanide is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 16:13   #13
Freefaller
Commissario

It's good to try and educate those that have never been in such big trucks before Very informative

L'Admin Fraais d' OcUK - Email in trust & FAQ.
Freefaller is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 16:39   #14
ZG002
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefaller View Post
It's good to try and educate those that have never been in such big trucks before Very informative
Agreed. Im lucky enough to have been in a HGV aload of times out with my dad when i was younger so ive always been aware of the space needed when driving one. But i know a few people who have not got a clue.

good thread

i7 4770k | ASUS Maximus VII Gene | Msi R9 280x | 8GB Corsair DDR3 | 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | OCZ ModXstream- Pro 700w | Corsair 350d |
ZG002 is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 17:12   #15
BigglesPiP
Capodecina

Helped me I guess, didn't know about that one to the Right and back of the cab. Although I tend to try and spot the driver's face to know if He can see me.

And I'm going to have to shoot you for the mess too. A mate of mine got a 24 day ban after a plastic drinks bottle slipped under his pedals during an emergency manoeuvre, causing him to crash.

touch: cannot touch `this': Permission denied
BigglesPiP is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 10:51   #16
Scania
Capodecina

Thought I'd give this thread a bump after a very near blind spot bump of my own!!!

Take care around HGV's guys & gals.

Old 7th Jul 2012, 13:45   #17
tigerstyle
Sgarrista

...calling out trolls was popular on OcUK/interweb even as long as 4 years ago?!?!
trucks can't see much behind them in their mirrors?!?!?
Which is the biggest surprise?

tigerstyle is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 14:41   #18
DB_SamX
Soldato

Useful. I've previously gone by "If I can't see his head, he can't see me."

DB_SamX is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 22:18   #19
opstrat
Mobster

i think another to point out is not to pull out infront of tankers. a short but sharp jolt on the brakes will cause a very severe wave effect in the tank
opstrat is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 22:37   #20
Cookeh
Soldato

Quite informative, ty for your time - even if it was several years ago!

HiFi: PC -> FiiO E07K -> Pioneer SA770 -> Monitor Audio BX2 / AKG Q701
Portables: Sony Xperia U / Sansa Clip+ -> FiiO E7 -> VSonic GR06 / VSonic VSD3-S
Reviews: Fischer Audio Eterna Quarkies
Cookeh is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 22:45   #21
Tute
Capodecina

I tend to treat HGVs with respect because in an accident, i'm going to most likely come off far, far worse.

It's the same reason that bikers should take care - they don't have anywhere near as much protection as car or lorry drivers.

5820K | X99E-ITX | 32GB DDR4 | GTX970 | 840 EVO M.2 | NCASE M1
Tute is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2012, 23:55   #22
Kaeo
Hitman

I usually just treat them like they're full of plague ridden zombies, and avoid o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
Sucking is better, and safer for your health, than blowing. Seriously give it a try.
Kaeo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 00:51   #23
tigerstyle
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by opstrat View Post
i think another to point out is not to pull out infront of tankers. a short but sharp jolt on the brakes will cause a very severe wave effect in the tank
Perhaps in the 1920's ??? Pretty sure they have that effect nailed down now

Good safety road trip sharing thread

Old 8th Jul 2012, 09:52   #24
The Judge
Hitman

Simple rule for lorries.
<-----suicide passing side ------>

Your mother's a definate! Your father could always be a possibility!
The Judge is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 10:35   #25
Scania
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstyle View Post
...calling out trolls was popular on OcUK/interweb even as long as 4 years ago?!?!
trucks can't see much behind them in their mirrors?!?!?
Which is the biggest surprise?
Err, I don't think bumping a safety related thread is "Calling out the trolls" - or am I missing something....

The whole point of the thread is to alert people to the massive areas truckers are blind to, yes, thanks......

Your post was quite a surprise to me to be honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Quite informative, ty for your time - even if it was several years ago!
When I get time, I'll try to get some photo's as opposed to diagrams to add to this...

Old 8th Jul 2012, 11:07   #26
K.C. Leblanc
Sgarrista

Very interesting, even when I've driven Transit vans it's be very obvious some motorists don't seem to give this sort of thing any thought.

It's almost got my wondering how different peoples driving would be if in 1998 instead of removing the 7.5t entitlement from new licenses they instead adding driving small lorries/big vans to the driving test.

BOOM!
K.C. Leblanc is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 13:03   #27
adam cool dude
Mobster

Likewise with lorry drivers. Especially lorry drivers knowing the blind spots they have. Why do they cut across two lanes on a roundabout so cars can not get past. Sometimes nearly pushing cars off the road. Also why do some lorries drive slower than others? Some seem fine (50ish mph) although slow while others are infuriating slow (Less than 40mph) causing huge tailbacks? I work right next to a logistics depot so get it pretty much every day.

This not a whine but a genuine question as to why they do this and the great variance in speed between lorry drivers too?

adam cool dude is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 13:48   #28
tigerstyle
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by R420LA6X2/4MNA View Post
Err, I don't think bumping a safety related thread is "Calling out the trolls" - or am I missing something....

Your post was quite a surprise to me to be honest!
You're missing something, read your own thread, post 8, dated 2008, poster calls out a 'troll' didn't know it was in such common use back then, it surprised me, as does peoples kinda shock that the 15M+ vehicle infront of them *might* have poor rear visibility, but then perhaps I had good parents and a driving instructor!

But I'm all for getting the message across to all. So kudos for bumping the thread

Old 8th Jul 2012, 13:59   #29
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam cool dude View Post
Likewise with lorry drivers. Especially lorry drivers knowing the blind spots they have. Why do they cut across two lanes on a roundabout so cars can not get past. Sometimes nearly pushing cars off the road. Also why do some lorries drive slower than others? Some seem fine (50ish mph) although slow while others are infuriating slow (Less than 40mph) causing huge tailbacks? I work right next to a logistics depot so get it pretty much every day.

This not a whine but a genuine question as to why they do this and the great variance in speed between lorry drivers too?

a lot of different factors at play,

the power and torque of the tractor unit company policy (some companies set their limiters lower than others) and most obvious the load one might have 22 pallets of cornflakes on board the other might have 22 pallets of sheet steel. lorries can and do carry various loads and one might be only pulling a couple of ton or indeed empty the other might be right on the payload limit

233 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 14:03   #30
ROG.
Associate

The KERB MIRROR is ONLY on the opposite side to the driver and that is the side with the biggest blind spot so when approaching a lorry it is a useful piece of info
ROG. is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote