Be bb questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 61728
  • Start date

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

Hi

I have a few questions.

When using be* bb service do you have to use the be* box they supply ? and if you don't will it effect speeds etc,can i use a zyxel prestige 600 series wireless router with their service ?

Do be* have a limit on downloads even if they are unlimited like if you download a lot like 20-40gb every day will they begin thinking about capping me or warning me of my heavy bb usage ?

Im currently within 2 miles from my phone exchange can i expect good overall speeds ?

Is it worth going for be* pro as it's not much more ? or is unlimited the way to go ?

Thanks

Soldato
Its more "advised" to use the BeBox because Be dont supply a username and password, its all within the BeBox, so i think you need to tweak your current router to get it to work with it. Dont hold me to that, just what i have read, could have changed :)

I think they have a Fair Usage Policy (FUP). I think they would probably just tell you to stop downloading so much if you download 20-40gb a day. Dont know how you can download that much be whatever :D

Post your router status, like Downstream Margin, Line Attenuation, current sync rate to give us a better idea of your line quality.

I would only go with Pro if you really need the extra upload speed, other than that, just go with Unlimited or Value if you cant get above 8mb.

Caporegime
Be don't use a username and password at all, but they do some strange things with their network that you might have issues getting working.

Soldato
Be don't use a username and password at all, but they do some strange things with their network that you might have issues getting working.

if your not using their modem?

i'm hoping to change to them. i have a Netgear DG834GT atm.

but if theirs has the same capabilities i don't mind changing.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

OP
Its more "advised" to use the BeBox because Be dont supply a username and password, its all within the BeBox, so i think you need to tweak your current router to get it to work with it. Dont hold me to that, just what i have read, could have changed :)

I think they have a Fair Usage Policy (FUP). I think they would probably just tell you to stop downloading so much if you download 20-40gb a day. Dont know how you can download that much be whatever :D

Post your router status, like Downstream Margin, Line Attenuation, current sync rate to give us a better idea of your line quality.

I would only go with Pro if you really need the extra upload speed, other than that, just go with Unlimited or Value if you cant get above 8mb.

Dunno about sync rate but here are the noise margins !

[upstream]
noise margin upstream: 28 db
output power downstream: 12 db
attenuation upstream: 16 db

[downstream]
noise margin downstream: 13 db
output power upstream: 19 db
attenuation downstream: 25 db

any good ?

Soldato
Do be* have a limit on downloads even if they are unlimited like if you download a lot like 20-40gb every day will they begin thinking about capping me or warning me of my heavy bb usage?

No idea how you would download that much.. but, I transfer around 200-300GB each month and they haven't said anything. Also, as far as I know, nobody has even been warned, nevermind capped.

Associate
Free be box will be a thomson derived unit with cd based wizard and all pre configured for the most part. Mine was OK but had a weak wifi signal compared with my usual 2wire unit, it also tried too hard to sync at a higher rate which led to some unreliability ie dropouts in games only. Otherwise it was fine.

Various offical and unoffical be forums to try. Be do use some less usual settings (VCI 101? and for DNS?) and the router hardware has to support the enhanced upload speed facility (if you want it). Theres a lot of tech info in the scripts they provide for the thomson units, on the be website (but you need to register first) and the offcial and unoffical be fora

Be were very quick to downgrading my inital 22mb adsl2 service to 8mb when it became apparent that my line was never going to be reliable enough to get much higher than 8mb. At 8mb and below configuring normal routers to the be service is somewaht less of a problem.

Quidco can save you money on signing up to be.

Soldato
Dunno about sync rate but here are the noise margins !

[upstream]
noise margin upstream: 28 db
output power downstream: 12 db
attenuation upstream: 16 db

[downstream]
noise margin downstream: 13 db
output power upstream: 19 db
attenuation downstream: 25 db

any good ?

Going without the sync rate, you could probably get between 12-18mb on Be*. Very rough estimate here though. If you can find out the sync, aka Downstream Rate, then i could get a more accurate reading. its measured in Kbps e.g. mine is currently synced at 3136Kbps.

Caporegime

Whether you use the BeBox or not, you don't need a username/password.
For one, they use a different VCI value to the default, and it seems some routers don't like the value Be use.

(VCI 101? and for DNS?)

Yeah, 0/101. They don't do anything too odd for DNS, it's just pretty unstable.

Associate

i'm hoping to change to them. i have a Netgear DG834GT atm.

but if theirs has the same capabilities i don't mind changing.

I'd heavily recomend the DG834GT with ADSL2+ as is often the best with it, not just one of the highest sync's but also will hold under a low noise margin.

Let alone the custom firmware available ;)

Associate
A[L]C;11375048 said:
WHat does the customer firmware allow?

Mainly just adds features to the router that would be generally missing and also you can make the custom firmware hold specific settings like those done by telnet but it will remember the settings after a reboot, such as lowering the connectable noisemargin for example.

Associate
we use purely IP over ATM so you dont have to authenticate, think of it as a full circuit not ppp.

however this means your router needs to support EthoA, IPoA or RFC1483 (all the same thing, just different routers name em differently, the last one is the ratified standard). and the VPI/VCI is 0, 101

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
the be box is ****, especially the firewall

it started blocking some games online, not letting me connect to other users

as soon as i switched to a dg834g it all worked fine

Soldato
Hi

I have a few questions.

When using be* bb service do you have to use the be* box they supply ?

No but it's not as bad as some people make out

and if you don't will it effect speeds etc,can i use a zyxel prestige 600 series wireless router with their service ?

The 660? If so yes.

Do be* have a limit on downloads even if they are unlimited like if you download a lot like 20-40gb every day will they begin thinking about capping me or warning me of my heavy bb usage ?

No limits. (Reminds me of that 2-unlimited song..)

Im currently within 2 miles from my phone exchange can i expect good overall speeds ?

Depends.. More factors involved than "2 miles"

Is it worth going for be* pro as it's not much more ? or is unlimited the way to go ?

Depends if you need more than 1 static IP and/or upload plus.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom