• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What the max safe voltage for E8200/E8400/E8500 cpu's

Soldato
As title....

Am not sure what the max safe voltage i can go up to for my E8500 CPU....(watercooled)

Can i go higher then 1.425v ??:confused:

42cpu.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'd stay where you are, you really are not going to see much real world difference by pushing it more and possibly introducing degradation.
Cheers Tom

Am surpised my motherboard is running it perfectly stable at 4.2ghz............as i had a 400FSB wall with my e6600 cpu installed..

Soldato
It's a good clock. I managed 4Ghz under 1.4v anything more requried a hike to 1.45 which I was not happy with. Especially considering how delicate the silicon is on these chips. So I'm keeping here 24/7 :D

Associate
It's a good clock. I managed 4Ghz under 1.4v anything more requried a hike to 1.45 which I was not happy with. Especially considering how delicate the silicon is on these chips. So I'm keeping here 24/7 :D

i think intel stoped using silicon to make 45nm tansistors as the voltage "leaks" between transistors when they made from silicon on such a small scale. and intel took 10 years to find a soloution for this using some other metal

Man of Honour
If you try clocking higher you are likely to need 1.5v+. One word. Dont!!! I had a E8500 and while clocking it to 4.5Ghz i gave it 1.5v and the damn thing degraded. I lost every previously stable clock. When i originally got it it went to 4Ghz on 1.33v. That needed 1.5v just to boot at that speed and would not get stable. 45nm chips do not like voltage. I ould have stayed at 1.4v if i knew about the possible dangers. That's what happens when you are one of the first to buy into new hardware.

Permabanned
Please use SEARCH as its asked all the time and dont listen to rumours because the E8000's aint been around long enough to prove degradion more than any other CPU (also use SEARCH for this). :)

They use 1.2v default so obv you dont pump it up as high as a older E6850 or such, 1.45v is my safe limit, where as I was happy to use 1.65v on my E6850.

Permabanned
It was not in that thread, its in threads like "CPU Model+temps" or "CPU model+degradion".

Its not wasting time looking, its wasting time of others making multiple dupe posts (what 3/4 of HDD on this server must be filled with. ;)

Associate
They use 1.2v default so obv you dont pump it up as high as a older E6850 or such, 1.45v is my safe limit, where as I was happy to use 1.65v on my E6850.

I just got an E8500, and on the sticker on the side it says "1.25V max". When I saw that I was really confused due to what I read in this thread... what do you guys think about it?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just got an E8500, and on the sticker on the side it says "1.25V max". When I saw that I was really confused due to what I read in this thread... what do you guys think about it?
On the side of the box for an E8500 (45nm) it says 1.225volt max and on the side of the box for an e6600 (65nm) it says 1.35volt max

DSC00272.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
crank the suckers up, its a cheap cpu - enjoy the speed.
its warranted and will probably last forever (as long as you need it)

so long as its properly cooled...............

however some ppl will always get a duff one that blows.

i have a e8200 at 3.92ghz - 1.45v.

Ehh you are aware that overclocking your cpu will void the warranty.

I would also strongly recommend AGAINST the crank it up aproach to overclocking, as it's a sure way off ruining your gear.

Back
Top Bottom