Be* - Yay or Nay?

Soldato
We need to change our internet fast. Pipex is doing our heads in. Its bloody too slow. FUP is killnig us at peak times and at weekends.

Anyway, Ive been looking around and Be seems to be a good option. Its live at our exchange so why not give it a go.

Has anyone on here had any problems with them, connecting, setting up, day to day use?

Thinking of going with the Pro service @ £22 p/m.

Associate
I found them very slick in getting the order processed, modem dispatched, information provided was good.

I had issues with my line being slow and unstable on the pro service. It was easily downgraded to an upto 8mb service (achieving 7mb)

The free thomson router was Ok but had a relatively weak wirelesss signal, It also tried to hang on to a higher adsl speed leading to frequent disconnets.

Only other issue I have has been some probelems with their DNS service which now appears to have been resolved.

Overall not as relaiable as ZEN internet, but much much cheaper and will be staying with them.

substantial discount on sigining up was avilable from quidco

Soldato
OP
I found them very slick in getting the order processed, modem dispatched, information provided was good.

I had issues with my line being slow and unstable on the pro service. It was easily downgraded to an upto 8mb service (achieving 7mb)

The free thomson router was Ok but had a relatively weak wirelesss signal, It also tried to hang on to a higher adsl speed leading to frequent disconnets.

Only other issue I have has been some probelems with their DNS service which now appears to have been resolved.

Overall not as relaiable as ZEN internet, but much much cheaper and will be staying with them.

substantial discount on sigining up was avilable from quidco

We have a modem and wireless router already in use atm which is working fine. Can we just keep using these and not use the Be provided all in one modem and wireless router?

How slow was the line on the pro service? So it was faster on the 'slower' service?

Man of Honour
Definitely go for Be..however, don't get the pro service straight away. See how your line performs and then upgrade to it later if your phone line is decent enough.

What model modem/router do you have currently? Many routers don't like adsl2+...

The BeBox requires no config - you don't need to put in an adsl username and password..it's just plug and play.

Soldato
OP
Theres so much stuff in the spare room, forgot that we dont have a modem connected to the router, its built in :p My bad.

The router is a Netgear DG834GT. We've had it for a couple of years now. Does us proud. Not had any problems with it since day one.

Man of Honour
Ah..As luck would have it, that's one of the few routers that is better than the bebox on on Be's service (at least in terms of stability and sync speeds). Be sure to upgrade it to one of the unofficial firmwares (far better stability) but aside from that, you'll be good to go :)

You may need to make it use the MAC address of the BeBox to get things up and running quickly.

edit:

As said above, be sure to signup via Quidco and also use the 'refer a friend' option (if you don't have a friend, email in trust and I'll put you in contact with someone I know who's on Be...I'm sadly 'between internets' at the mo). The total savings are around the £70 mark iirc.

Soldato
Me too :D I'm currently on the top package and being on it for over a year now, excellent service couldnt be any better, isnt it the only UK provider that dosent cap/throttle? You get the full wack at anytime of the day, wish my 20MB Virgin Cable was like my Be line :(

Soldato
OP
Ah..As luck would have it, that's one of the few routers that is better than the bebox on on Be's service (at least in terms of stability and sync speeds). Be sure to upgrade it to one of the unofficial firmwares (far better stability) but aside from that, you'll be good to go :)

You may need to make it use the MAC address of the BeBox to get things up and running quickly.

edit:

As said above, be sure to signup via Quidco and also use the 'refer a friend' option (if you don't have a friend, email in trust and I'll put you in contact with someone I know who's on Be...I'm sadly 'between internets' at the mo). The total savings are around the £70 mark iirc.

Thanks for the info.

Never heard of Quidco before. I'l sign up if its free.

Im just waiting on Pipex to send me a MAC address. Pipex is in my dads name, so hes cancelling that. Im setting up Be in my name.

I have heard of the referal thing and savings. I remember that someone a while ago actually referred me but that expired I think.

Man of Honour
The way you do referrals now is basically wait until after you've signed up, then put in the details in the member centre. After a period of faffery, Be will give you both a month's credit on your account.

edit: I've not actually used Quidco but as far as I know it's free. And is actually reliable from what I've heard.

Associate
Very much recommended, to use a non-be router on the network it needs to support ADSL2+ and if you want upload+ (2.5meg) Annexe.M

No need to change the mac address and the settings are easily available, and are published in Be's FAQ and official forum (service subscribers only)

System is RFC1483 Bridged and not PPPoA or PPPoE as such does not require authentication.

My connection has never been down when i've gone to use it (on my current Linksys AM200 modem - the BeBox crashed a couple of times).

Service outages are usually between 4am and 6am and you will be notified by text and email around 5 days before. You are also notified every month by text and email of when you are about to be billed.

Man of Honour
The Netgear DG834GT fully supports Annex M with the custom firmware (possibly with a new official one - has been a while). It's recommended over the BeBox for use with Be.

When I used one I had to clone the MAC address. I believe you can avoid this but if you're switching from one router to another you'll sometimes have to wait for a while if you don't clone.

Soldato
BE's service and speed was so good i couldnt wait to be billed the first month....sounds silly but thats how happy i was with the speed. i can download large files from gamershell at about 2.1mbps

Back
Top Bottom