The 150BHP Rover 416 Explained... Mod Reccomendations needed! :)

Soldato
On the reccomendation of another forum member, here's a bit about the 416i Project!

Basically, I found the car at a local garage, in immaculate nick, and wanted a little project. The K-series engines Rover used are renown for being really efficient (I get ~38-40MPG and drive pretty quickly!) and fun to drive, so I thought why not eh :cool:

The only bad thing is the K-series lumps also have a rep for eating headgaskets. Not such a problem if you fix the issues that cause it - a new modified gasket, steel head locating dowels and a new thermostat being just a few things to help this. Anyway...

So far I've done the following to the engine side of things...

- Piper fast-road cams (Picked up from the bay for a ridiculously irresistible price by a friend... only to find they didn't fit his Rover 200. So he put them on mine! Hell of a job...)

- Larger bore 4-2-1 exhaust. About half an inch wider than the corroded original system, helps to free things up a fair bit.

- K&N Panel filter. I've chosen mods that make the car appear as standard as is possible - having an open cone that sounds like it's going to pull the tarmac off the road is hardly discreet. Added the fact that Rover put a (very good) cold air intake system on the K-series engined cars, it made sense.

- Aftermarket backbox - chosen for it's bland looks and not-so-sporty tone. Looks nice with a discreet chrome trim, and has a good rumble to it (Vid coming shortly).

- All new spark plugs and ignition system (Helped a lot with hesitation on happy pedal problems)

- Throttle body from a 1.8l Rover 400, slightly bigger than mine, mainly got to sort out mine sticking, but seems to have improved top-end a little xD

Cosmetic wise, not a lot has changed, I've renovated the interior with a lot of cleaning products and debadged it, thats about it for now. And colour coded the mirrors of course!

See the end of the post for soon to come mods, both engine and aesthetic :)

Some pics...

Camcover-paintedplastic.jpg

The engine bay. Bit of a c**p pic because of the lovely British weather.

ABCD0008-1.jpg

Taken outside work :) Not been washed for a while.

ABCD0006.jpg

Back view. Spoiler coming soon!

DSC01347-1.jpg

Front view, the fogs are standard. It does have a certain mean look about it I think!

Future mods:

Full cold-air induction kit
Half-leather seats and interior
Mesh upper and lower grille, and spray chrome grille surround red to match the car.
Alloys of course!

So what does everyone think? I think for a car that's usually considered rubbish and "old man", they don't half have a lot of poke. As standard they are about 110BHP, which in itself is good for a 1.6!
Now it positively flies - the boy racers in their Corsas/Puntos/Fiestas with a daft uni backbox and K&N cone filter are in serious trouble if they try and have me off at the lights! :p

Standard - 0-60: 10.0s. Power: 110BHP
Now (Est) - 0-60: 8-8.5 (Timed by a friend, I know its not reliable). Power: 145-155BHP (Estimated from individual mods).

So fire away, lets have some suggestions! :D:cool: If there's anything I've forgotten I'll add it, I'm sure theres a few minor bits.

Mat

Man of Honour
ITBs would be a good way to go.

The real question is how much do you want to spend and how much risk of it blowing up is acceptable...

Soldato
OP
ITBs would be a good way to go.

The real question is how much do you want to spend and how much risk of it blowing up is acceptable...

I've stripped down a K series before, so if I blow it up I can fix it again :rolleyes: so anything is good! I know some people have turbo'd them, don't think that'll happen though :p

I'm not bothered about how much I spend - I love the car to bits and it never fails to amaze people with the ride quality and speed! So anything really.

Soldato
OP
@G-Man: Thanks, I didn't like them either until I found this. Ironically enough, it was my Mum's friend who saw it, and heard my Fiesta had died from my Mum. She told her there was a Rover going cheap at the garage... I was sceptical, but surprised when I saw it :)

@Fox: Definitely, everyone has said that'd help it a lot. Think that's pretty high along the list, as well as the alloys :)

Soldato
OP
I don't think it'll fit, but sure as hell looks nice.

The 2l engine from either a 220 GSI or 220 Turbo will essentially straight-drop into my car, as it was an option to have the 2l (non-turbo) in the 400. So mounting points etc are all there.

137BHP standard for the NASP, 200ishBHP for the turbo. Yum!

This was a possible option for a next move, although big increases in power could prove problematic on my £25-a-corner tyres :D

Soldato
OP
@MrLOL: A ZS spoiler will fit straight onto mine :)
(Point of note - one thing that makes me chuckle are the MG owners who bang on about an MG not being the same as a Rover... park two next to each other and play spot the difference :p)

@jongeeone: 420s are seriously nice cars. The newer shape or the squarer one?

Mat

Caporegime
So, the conclusion to the thread is:

1) There is no evidence to suggest that 150BHP is an accurate figure.
2) You are deluded as to what "a certain mean look" is.
3) I don't know about round where you live, but round here 80-90% of the "boy racers" would still have you.

Keep it looking standard and its a nice enough first or second car. But don't bother modding it.

Soldato
I reckon you're running about 125hp max.

Spend the money on a turbo lump.

So, fiestas and corsas with K&N filters and backboxes will be in trouble... by your rover with a K&N and a backbox?

Soldato
OP
So, the conclusion to the thread is:

1) There is no evidence to suggest that 150BHP is an accurate figure.
2) You are deluded as to what "a certain mean look" is.
3) I don't know about round where you live, but round here 80-90% of the "boy racers" would still have you.

Keep it looking standard and its a nice enough first or second car. But don't bother modding it.

Okay...

1) This was worked out from gains from mods carried out to similar cars, either with my mates or on the net. Not an overestimated figure like most, my best guess.
2) I've been told my a few it does have a smart appearance, mates agree it doesn't have a softy-softy look.
3) Unless all the boy racers have Golf GTIs or something quicker, it's faster than most. Round here the car of choice is the 1.6/1.8 Astra, the Punto, 1.4 Corsa... you get the pic. Fair few chavs have the 1.6l 206s aswell... toast I might add ;)

Soldato
OP
I reckon you're running about 125hp max.

Spend the money on a turbo lump.

So, fiestas and corsas with K&N filters and backboxes will be in trouble... by your rover with a K&N and a backbox?

The cams made the most difference. And besides, most have a 1.3l fiesta or 1.2 corsa... slow as hell and about as interesting as a brick wall as EVERYONE here has one :)

The turbo lump does seem a good idea, and not that expensive either. £300 ish for a good warranted lump, and about £200 for fitting, if I get a garage to drop it in and I finish the ancilliaries etc.

Back
Top Bottom