Asus EEE Box Desktop PC

Associate
Yeah they looks like very nice little boxes seems perfect for average everyday use. Seen them going for around £190 on the internet which is a nice price.

Associate
Ok OCUK have just told me that they do not have a confirmed date for the
EEE box but they are expecting it in the next 3-4 weeks.

Meanwhile my first EEE Box has just been delivered!. I have mounted it on the
back of a 24" panasonic flatscreen in my bedroom. As I intend to use it for
streaming videos from my Windows Home Server.

I intend to buy a second box to use as an always on downloading pc.
Only niggle so far is that both ram slots come filled up with 2 x 512mb
modules. Wouldn't it make more sense to use 1 x 1Gb stick and keep the
other slot free for upgrading like on my Advent 4211/Wind.

Soldato
Ok OCUK have just told me that they do not have a confirmed date for the
EEE box but they are expecting it in the next 3-4 weeks.

Meanwhile my first EEE Box has just been delivered!. I have mounted it on the
back of a 24" panasonic flatscreen in my bedroom. As I intend to use it for
streaming videos from my Windows Home Server.

I intend to buy a second box to use as an always on downloading pc.
Only niggle so far is that both ram slots come filled up with 2 x 512mb
modules. Wouldn't it make more sense to use 1 x 1Gb stick and keep the
other slot free for upgrading like on my Advent 4211/Wind.

Sounds good, what's the responsiveness of the EEE Box like? Quite nippy? Does it handle video streaming okay or haven't you had a chance to play with it yet?

Got to agree that 2x512mb is a little annoying, it means you've got to fork out more money to upgrade as you'd have to buy 2x1GB sticks rather than just one :(

Associate
Got to say I'm very impressed with the responsiveness of the box, it is very nippy. It even seems slightly quicker than my Advent 4211/Wind but that could be me imagining it.
Have tried streaming some media and it works very well over my wireless-n network. The box is connecting at 136mbps.
I'm thinking of installing Media Portal as there's no media centre, I've never used it before but it seems quite popular does anyone have any opinions?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Can anyone answer the following:

I've read a few reviews about this, and the majority are saying that it's a well capable piece of kit, but handling 1080 video may cause severe problems.

Is this 1080 video when using something like DIVX, XVID, etc only? The reason I ask is would I be able to bang in a USB TV and watch 1080 programs with no problems?

And the other question is quite simple. How heavily is the case 'badged'. I mean would I be able to brand it on my own quite easily or is the ASUS logo(s) embossed into the case plastic?

Associate
You cannot currently buy a usb tv tuner thats compatible with the DVB-T2 standard
for uk HD broadcasts (at least that I'm aware of), DVB-T tuners are not gonna work
its different silicone. Don't know why people are getting obsessed about 1080p video
playback seriously how many people have stacks of 1080p video on their servers?
I have 4K video on my server but thats because of my job.
Also my black eee box is fairly lightly stickered so although it looks like its embossed
into the case you could easily cover them.

Soldato
Do like the box, but the problem with these boxes is lack of internal storage. Yes they are small and lightweight but they won't do as a proper cheap file server/streamer. Best I seen on OCUK is the 320GB 2.5" hdd assuming it takes sata, and you can only have one of them. I would look elsewhere for a file server/streamer, but as a generic thin client it does the job.

Edit: About the 1080p playback, I would not bother, over time there will be bigger and more processor intensive formats, use it as a file server instead, it has gigabit which is great for streaming HD content, (assuming you have that content) onto a machine which is powerful enough to play that back well.

Soldato
It would look look a lot better without those numerous stickers plastered all over it. Could they not etch the Windows logo into the case front. It'd look far better imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom