How many people are I.T Managers here and get annoying sales calls?

Associate
Seeing as this is a predominately I.T based forum I know a few people off here that are in the industry I'm just interested to know how many calls you get off of people trying to sell you stuff!

Cheers :cool:

Man of Honour
Everyone gets it, all the time. Worst 'Look I'm a manager' post evar :p

You don't even need to be a manager, just the chap unfortunate enough to pick the phone up. Telling them all your buying is centralised is the best way to get rid.

Soldato
Not an IT manager as such, but yes... I know they're doing their jobs but they don't have to interrupt me when I'm trying to do mine.

Do you want a new server - No
Do you want new mobile phones for the company - No
Do you want new company cars - No
Are you happy with your leased line service - Yes
Have you considered.... - No

I wish they'd all just **** off and die :mad:

Associate
OP
:p I'm not a manager I work for a security solutions and patch management reseller.
Most of the business we get is people coming to us!
Reason I posted the thread is because I spoke to one gent earlier who was particularly rude and came out with "Do you realise how many of these calls I get a day!!", the funny thing was I wasn't even calling to sell him anything!

Are the rest of the sales people in the I.T industry really that simple and annoying that the rest of us that are actually talking about something useful suffer!!

I know what it's like being on the other end of the stick when someone says "Can I speak to the person who deals with your mobile phones" in their boring monotone voice to "upgrade your downgrade to minimum grade and regrade you to a grade that is higher than your current grade for only £10.99 a month"...But when you actually do need something or could use something better whats the problem!!??

Soldato
:p I'm not a manager I work for a security solutions and patch management reseller.
Most of the business we get is people coming to us!
Reason I posted the thread is because I spoke to one gent earlier who was particularly rude and came out with "Do you realise how many of these calls I get a day!!", the funny thing was I wasn't even calling to sell him anything!

Are the rest of the sales people in the I.T industry really that simple and annoying that the rest of us that are actually talking about something useful suffer!!

I know what it's like being on the other end of the stick when someone says "Can I speak to the person who deals with your mobile phones" in their boring monotone voice to "upgrade your downgrade to minimum grade and regrade you to a grade that is higher than your current grade for only £10.99 a month"...But when you actually do need something or could use something better whats the problem!!??

You could argue that if people needed something better/cheaper then they'd be looking for it and would have probably found it by the time you've called.

If somebody wants something cheaper they'd have probably been searching for a fair while, unless you just miraculously time it and they go "How did you do that, I was just thinking about changing the tarriff on my mobile phone!"

How many times has your Indian takeaway phoned you up and you said "Wow you know what, I was just thinking of having a takeaway."

Your local undertaker doesn't phone you up each week just to make sure nobody has died or to tell you he's got a special deal on coffin's this week.

Caporegime
But when you actually do need something or could use something better whats the problem!!??

The problem is that many Sales people care more about making their commission than providing a better and/or cheaper business solution to their customer. Which is fine, I suppose, but may explain why so many are told where to go or are simply hung up on :)

Soldato
Indeed I do and it does get annoying.
I do tend to pass a lot of them on to my minions - let them deal with them.
I also refuse point blank to deal with "Unknown" or "Witheld" numbers.
You want to sell to me - then show me a phone number where I can call and speak to you.

Soldato
i love the calls that ask about what equipment you have... i dredge around for ancient knowledge.

several companies are now utterly convinced we still run a token-ring network

Associate
OP
You could argue that if people needed something better/cheaper then they'd be looking for it and would have probably found it by the time you've called.

If somebody wants something cheaper they'd have probably been searching for a fair while, unless you just miraculously time it and they go "How did you do that, I was just thinking about changing the tarriff on my mobile phone!"

How many times has your Indian takeaway phoned you up and you said "Wow you know what, I was just thinking of having a takeaway."

Your local undertaker doesn't phone you up each week just to make sure nobody has died or to tell you he's got a special deal on coffin's this week.

I understand what you mean from a mobile phone etc.. point of view but when it comes to security solutions there are new threats and attacks out at least every week!

The difference between where I work and others that we are premium partners so therefore we are able to offer better margins than say other smaller "unknown number" outfits!

It's just interesting to see!

@ Magnolia - Commission is what we work for and providing excellent customer service means that when that license comes up for renewal where are your existing customers going to go! ;)

@ Stoofa - The Unknown number ones would make me slightly nervous about who I tell what!!!

Man of Honour

Lol!

Though my undertaker sometimes does that.

Soldato
I get a few a week.

I try and have conversations with them and waste their time.

But normally I just say we've entered a new 5 year contract with so and so.... Could you please ring me back in August 2013?... i'll look forward to your call!

Back
Top Bottom