Netgear router DG834N

Associate
I have this little problem with my Netgear router model number DG834N
I don’t really know much about networks but enough to get me by, anyway
I have set it up two computers running of it, one hard wired and the other wireless
I also have an Xbox 360 running of it too wireless, all the latest firmware is on it too
At least one’s a day now it keeps dropping a connection even with the hard wired pc
I can under stand why the router need switching of then back on again and it becoming a pain now.
Any help on this would be great thanks guys

Thanks

Soldato
I would help you as my work has one and after trying to login remotely, I got someone elses router configuration with default username and password. :eek:

Work must have rebooted the connection.

I am at work in 20mins so will have a look if I get some free time.

Associate
Try setting Idle Timeout (In Minutes) in basic settings to 0

I am assuming that you are using ADSL with a username and password.

Edit.....

Also check that in WAN setup, the field called Connect Automatically, as Required is ticked.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try setting Idle Timeout (In Minutes) in basic settings to 0

I am assuming that you are using ADSL with a username and password.

Edit.....

Also check that in WAN setup, the field called Connect Automatically, as Required is ticked.

Yes thanks i have tryed and have all the ubove

Associate
Have checked your firmware is up to date, my fathers 834n kept dropping its connection until i updated the firmware, now its fine. If you do need to update make sure you get the correct firmware for your router as their are now 2 versions of this router available.

V F

V F

Soldato
pages timing out, and also ethernet dropping

This router is plagued by this, but its nowhere as bad with the DGTeam firmware. In fact the DGTeam firmware fixes a lot of things.

Interesting.. If I was to try this on my DG834N, will I have any means of getting the official firmware back if it all goes wrong?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834n.asp

On the left. Recovery Utility can't be used with Vista.

Read this though before you flash. If you're using Firefox 3. http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=26854

Last edited:
Associate
I've upgraded the router to the DGTeam firmware and so far Im very pleased. I didnt really have any issues with the original firmware - however I changed the SNR value to 50%, and it is now syncing at 8128, previously it was max 7600.. Hopefully it will stay like this..

I see somebody else has added SNMP support on the GT version, hopefully this will be added to the N version aswell. :)

Back
Top Bottom