Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit *mini* review

Soldato
thermalrightlga775bolttaj2.jpg

I've used quite a few different heatsinks in my time and have pretty much always stuck with products from Thermalright, not just because they offer very good performance but also because they have always been very easy to fit.

Since jumping on the LGA775 bandwagon late in 2006 I've used a Thermalright Ultra-120 and Ultra-120 extreme in my full tower set-ups but recently I've started to build computers smaller, smaller motherboards, smaller cases etc and found that the my heatsinks of choice no longer fit size wise into my new machines . . . . hmmmm

So like any good computer enthusiast I have been reading up on all the latest heatsinks, checking the reviews, looking at the pictures etc trying to choose a nice new *compact* heatsink.

a lot of heatsinks (particularly the value models) use the standard INTEL push-pin system which while it works can sometimes be a real pain and does really give the motherboard a good wang! Fair enough if your just installing the heatsink once never to be seen again until one or two years time but for the real enthusiast who tinkers and swaps out CPU's a lot there has to be a better way?

Well anyway I have known about this Thermalright product called the LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit for ages but as I was already using a Thermalright heatsink I never had a need to test a Bolt-Thru-Kit.

Now that I am struggling to find a better value and lower profile cooling solution (a lot of which feature the standard INTEL push-Pins) I thought it was time to finally give a Bolt-Thru-Kit a litte test . . .

So one quick purchase online for around £5.00 and I snagged myself one of the Thermalright kits . . .

thermalrightlga775bolttss9.jpg

thermalrightlga775bolttfc7.jpg

Not much to see really and anyone who is familiar with TR heatsinks will recognise the backplate and four spring loaded screws.

Now for the purposes of this test I will be using a standard INTEL cooler as I have never de-pegged one before and I don't want to mulla one of my better heatsinks so the stock INTEL HSF it is . . .

thermalrightlga775bolttna8.jpg

So basically here are the four stages

1. Remove heatsink and clean off the old TIM from both the Heatsink and CPU
  2. Install the Thermalright backplate
  3. De-peg your heatsink
  4. Apply fresh TIM and screw down heatsink using four spring loaded screws
So we all know how to remove a standard heatsink I hope, just turn the pegs in the direction of the arrows and they should pop out, a little wiggle on the heatsink and the whole thing should just lift right off ready to allow cleaning.

The next stage sounds a pain but can be quite easy and thats fitting the backplate which requires the motherboard to be lifted. If you are starting your build from scratch then no problem but for anyone with a system already built it does mean removing all your expansion cards (GPU etc) and all motherboard screws, however I was able to fit the backplate without removing any of the wires (power, case headers, SATA, USB etc) by simply lifting it an inch and sliding the backplate into position.

There are four cups on the backplate that poke up through the four standard INTEL holes on the motherboard, if you are having problems getting the backplate lined up then you can use some of the spring loaded screws to hold the backplate in position while you lower the board back. Once the board is properly installed again it will hold the backplate in position so you are able to remove the springloaded screw/s ready to fit the heatsink.

thermalrightlga775bolttrk9.jpg

thermalrightlga775bolttgr1.jpg

Now comes the stage that is new to me, that is de-pegging a heatsink of its standard INTEL push-pins. It's not exactly rocket science but I am always a bit twitchy when I do something for the first time, in this example the worst case scenerio would have been I busted/snapped one of the standard push-pins making this process a one way ticket, nothing to sweaty (like toasting a £700 CPU!) but I wanted to maybe reverse the mod later on.

Anyway I'm please to report the de-pegging process is fairly straight forward if you possess a good eye and a modecum of finess. The only tools I needed was a small flat head screwdriver and a steady hand. There is a small back plastic lug that needs to be lifted-up with the screwdriver tip that allows the peg to slide nearly slide apart, then there is a small white plastic nipple (oh er!) that needs to be compressed to allow the peg to be completely pulled in two!

Five minutes later the test heatsink is de-pegged and I am ready for the final stage!

thermalrightlga775bolttwn6.jpg

thermalrightlga775bolttxp9.jpg

Cool nearly done and we are firmly in Thermalright territory now. All I need to do now is apply a nice thin layer of fresh TIM upon the CPU, carefully lay down the de-pegged heatsink and screw in the four spring loaded screws in a criss-cross fashion. I normally do five screw turns then move to the screw diagonally opposite and give that five turns, just keep alternating until the screw stops turning. Don't overtighten the screws, it will be fairly obvious when they have reached the end of the holes and are designed to just *stop*, if you try to force a few extra turns you will probably tear the thread.

It really is a five minute task to apply the TIM and tighten all four screws down and . . . were done!

thermalrightlga775bolttyb7.jpg

thermalrightlga775bolttir6.jpg

Conclusion:

So here we are, the Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit has been installed but what have I gained? . . .well firstly my motherboard is fairly straight again and no longer resembles a boomerang! but what about the temps? . . . well I'm glad to say the CPU temps have dropped a *massive* one degree lol but that is a good thing believe it or not, I was worried that the Bolt-Thru-Kit wouldn't apply as much pressure as the standard push-pins but it does, also instead of sitting on the heatsink like an overstuffed suitcase trying to get the pins to click I can now gently tighten the four screws with a screwdriver which is my prefered method of fitting an LGA775 heatsink.

Now that I have seen how simple it is to de-peg a heatsink of its standard push-pins I shall be picking up a proper 3rd party *value* heatsink to see how it performs without the worry of destroying the push-pins in the de-pegging process (hard to sell on a heatsink with broken pegs/pins).

Obviously using this Bolt-Thru-Kit is a more appealing prospect for someone who likes to swap out CPU's quite often (at least every two months!) or likes to play with different air-coolers, especially really heavy ones that feature plastic pegs that could break in LAN transit!

Now the kit is installed I can try out a few nice 3rd party heatsinks that comes as standard with the yukky push-pins. I won't be able to attach a really big horizontal heatsink as there will be no access for a screwdriver from above to tighten the screws but there is some nice value mini-tower heatsinks I will be picking up soon for a play!

Pros:

• Made by Thermalright
  • Cheap
  • Reduces flexing of your uBer chipset
  • Makes it really easy to attach/re-attach your heatsink
  • Extra security for over weight big mamma heatsinks

Cons:

• Nothing to do with Intel® Core i7
  • Risk of breaking standard push-pins during de-pegging process
  • Motherboard needs lifting/removing to fit backplate

Soldato
This is actually pretty useful. My friend just bought a scythe ninja II and it uses the push pin which tbh is a pain to install.

This would provide a lot more support and would probably be easier to install.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
good work

i might get one for my thermaltake V1 just until i go to water in the new year
i guess i could transfer it over

do you reckon this would work with an ek supreme waterblock?
i guess yes as its just standard 775 layout

Soldato
Nice review, the bolt through kits are far superior than the pushpins. Whoever came up with the pushpins really didn't help anyone.

Soldato
OP
thanks lads, just thought a few of you would appreciate a little review. I think the Theramalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit is a neat product and for the hardware tweaker its deffo £5.00 well spent.

I wasn't expecting any temp drop from using this kit because the INTEL push-pin system does apply a lot of downwards pressure *if* fitted correctly. The pain with the push-pins is that sometimes its possible that not all pins get engaged and that results in lousy temps.

As mentioned above the real value of this kit is to allow a much easier fitting process (well it was easier for me anyhow!) and a more *secure* fit, anyone who transports a system around for LAN meetings and the like may appreciate the extra secure fit this kit offers.

I have a Xigmatech HDT-S1283 waiting to test and that sink also uses the standard push-pin so if I can convert it using the Thermalright bracket then I will probably flog the CrossBow bracket made by Xigmatech which basically does the same thing except the crossbow can only be used with the Xigmatech.

The stock heatsink used in the review isn't really an ideal candidate for conversion but as already mentioned I wasn't sure if the pegs would break when taken apart and I didn't want to do that with the more expensive sinks.

Once you got a more beefy tower sink installed the advantage of this Thermalright Bolt-Thru-Kit should become more obvious . . it's very secure!

I'm still not sure it will work with all the different heatsinks but I will try a few out and update this thread in due course!

Peace! :)

Associate

From what i read, the thermalright bolt through kit works on the Xigmatech HDT-S1283 with out any modification.
I think people started using the Thermalright bolt kit for the Xigmatech but then Xigmatech people produced the kit and sent them out for free to customers but recently started to sell as apose to giving them out free.
But apparently if your very nice and email them they will send you one for free.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
hi - got mine today [due to this thread] will install it on my thermaltake V1 and post results

was hoping it would work with my watercooling block aswell but i dont think its going to fit

ah well - gets rid of my pushpins until i upgrade

Soldato
I have a Xigmatech HDT-S1283 waiting to test and that sink also uses the standard push-pin so if I can convert it using the Thermalright bracket then I will probably flog the CrossBow bracket made by Xigmatech which basically does the same thing except the crossbow can only be used with the Xigmatech.
Its good advice to change the push pins, hate those things. I normally go one further and mount the backplate with some M4x40 screws and thumb nuts. That way the backplate is fixed and makes it very easy to swap a HSF for a waterblock or remount with a new chip. Its lot easier than trying to compress the screw/spring that you get with the bolt through version. Coincidentally I just used a HDT-S1283 on my boys new PC. Brilliant cooler (£16!!) once I dumped the push pins.

DSCF3050.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

DSCF3052.jpg

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3056.jpg

DSCF3057.jpg

Soldato
OP
That looks ideal fornowagain, really good! :)

Is that a totally homemade mounting kit then? that backplate doesn't look like anything I've seen? apart from some water cooling photos maybe?

The way you are mounting it in the photos above looks better than the bolt-tru-kit because you can just kinda *plonk* the heatsink down and then add the screws, also you can be sure you got the pressure just right.

If you can include a bit more info about that reverse bolt-thru-kit I would be interested, I'm happy with what I'm using presently except I have no control over the pressure, the spring loaded screws stop turning when Thermalright say so kinda! :D

Soldato
That's it exactly, you can just drop the HSF on the threads and tighten evenly. Once the board is in the case its ideal, makes it miles easier to change the cpu etc. Tbh once I've powered up the board to prove its not DOA (just sit the HSF on the cpu), bolting on the backplate is the first thing I do.

The bits are easy to find, just google these two (its just M4x40, thumb nuts, washers etc). Any back plate will do, the one in the pics is an EK, very solid. The reverse bolt through is more commonly seen in water cooling/phase, still no reason not to use it on air coolers though.

"EK CPU Waterblock Mounting Hardware"

"EK LGA 775 Motherboard Back Plate"

D-tek also sell mounting hardware (EK is cheaper). I have this one on another board with the Thermalright backplate, same thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I won't be able to attach a really big horizontal heatsink as there will be no access for a screwdriver from above to tighten the screws
Anyone know if that Thermalright bolt kit works on a SI-128?
Hey Paul,

as mentioned I don't see an easy way to tighten the screws as the body of the SI-128 appears to block access from above?

gap34ds409yx8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom