Do the new Gigabyte boards have no cold boot problem?

Associate
I have a 965p DS4 and it drives me nuts that nobody in the last two years was able to come up with a fix for the thing.

Of course it only started regularly cold booting after the warranty etc had ran out.

I was thinking of switching to p45, but i might go gigabyte again if it means that i can literally swap the old one for the new without having to reformat etc.

Can anybody shed some light?

Soldato
You will have to reformat anyway. Unless the boards use the same north and southbridge, your OS will have difficulties setting up the new drivers. It really is easier just to reinstall.

By the way, what do you mean by cold booting issue?

Soldato
I really hope this is a issue of the past, lost 2 Gigabyte mobo's due to this.

However, i haven't heard of these problems on the P45, X38, X48 chipsets.. only P35.

Associate
OP
The notorious cold boot on p35's, was basically that no overclock would stick, no matter how big or small. The system would then load and keep resetting itself. It literally felt like it was cleansing itself from the 'dirty' overclocking that you were forcing it to do.

Many people who had the p35's did a whole host of different things to try and fix the issue, my one in particular seemed to hate dual channel ram, so ive been running 4gb in single channel for around 18 months.

If its under warranty, that would be frickin great, who knows they may give me a p45 instead... they arent likely to find a rev1 965p ds4...

Soldato
The notorious cold boot on p35's, was basically that no overclock would stick, no matter how big or small. The system would then load and keep resetting itself. It literally felt like it was cleansing itself from the 'dirty' overclocking that you were forcing it to do.

Many people who had the p35's did a whole host of different things to try and fix the issue, my one in particular seemed to hate dual channel ram, so ive been running 4gb in single channel for around 18 months.

If its under warranty, that would be frickin great, who knows they may give me a p45 instead... they arent likely to find a rev1 965p ds4...

Should be a 2-3 year warranty. I'd dig out the receipt and contact them. I know my P45 certainly doesn't have this problem.

Associate
Hi
I use a 965-DS3 still and used to suffer the problem with overclocking, though since flashing the BIOS to F13 I have not had the problem unless I try and push any further(use a 2160 o/c to 3.06GHz with 340 FSB). What is your BIOS revision ?

cjph

Associate
OP
I have had for a long time the f11 bios, and recently got the F12. Never seen the f13, but then i used the gigabyte downloader. I dont think a bios flash will fix it though.

Man of Honour
I've never had a cold boot problem on my Gigabyte P35 DS3R (fingers crossed) tho I got one of the early batch that are supposed to be better boards - some of the rev 2 boards apparently had booting issues. I've not heard of any cold boot issues with the gigabyte P45 boards.

My Gigabyte N650i DS4 has the odd cold boot problem but it only happens once in maybe 20 starts.

Soldato
I have had this board Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P about 3 days now no cold boot problems at all my asus p5ne use to have that problem would always say cpu settings have changed when first turning on and even after using it for a few hours. These gigabyte boards are rock solid no problems with mine even has power saving and 8 sata connections which is brill for me.

Soldato
I had something similar with my P965-DS3P mobo, Prime stable for hours and hours but 1 day on switch on it would just revert to defaults, I had to up the NB voltage which for me seemed to fix the problem but then I swapped over for the Asus P5Q-Deluxe with the Gigabyte relegated to my VM XenServer box which I run at stock Q6600 speeds so haven't seen the problem.

Soldato
Sorry to revive this thread, but was there ever a fix for this problem?

My P35C-DS3 doesn't like any overclock it seems, most of the time when it has been unplugged completely from the power, (i.e. PSU turned off) it will cold boot with no display and gfc card on full, before rebooting by itself (sometimes) or by me having reverted to stock settings for FSB and RAM timings.

I've tried disabling legacy USB storage detect but with no joy.

Soldato
Worth a bump to help anyone else with this issue, but I seem to have sorted it by slackening the memory timings to 5-5-5-18. I have 4x1GB sticks so I might try playing with the voltage on NB/mem though it's already on 1.98ish on mem.

Seems the gigabytes are sensitive to tight timings (even with low latency ram) when cold booting.

Associate
Not entirely relevant but I had some severe issues with my new EX58-UD5 and cold booting. It just wouldn't initialise the LAN unless youfully discharged the caps on it :(. I have a fairly substantial thread about it somewhere in the mobo forum. Eventually I RMA'd it only to have it returned no fault found, yet work fine.

Back
Top Bottom