Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:22   #1
Ascendancy
Mobster
 
Ascendancy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,856
Expired Passport as ID

Ok, so my wallet was stolen a few weeks ago, along with my drivers license. I'm going to a club I don't frequent tonight, and all I have for ID is my passport which expired last year. If I get IDed on the door are they likely to accept the expired passport?
Ascendancy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:23   #2
ganesh
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 2,195
I used an expired passport as ID for about a year, so probably.
ganesh is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:23   #3
meghatronic
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: 38.744281N 104.846806W
Posts: 16,377
Yeah.
meghatronic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:24   #4
Greenlizard0
Man of Honour
 
Greenlizard0's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 28,204
Ring up and just check with the managment. Chances if all your mates have ok forms of ID they'll probably let yours slide.

Greenlizard0 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:25   #5
Repta
Mobster
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NI
Posts: 4,346
Some places do, some places dont. Just give them a call and ask
Repta is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:28   #6
[TW]Fox
Man of Honour
 
[TW]Fox's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 148,068
There is no logical reason why an expired passport is not a valid form of ID. It expires for reasons utterly related to proof of age. It's a perfectly accepable form of ID and is about the best you can get.

HOWEVER..

People who work doors are sometimes far from bright, others simply enjoy 'the powah' so you really are at the mercy of pot luck and whether you get somebody with a working brain cell or not

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes.
[TW]Fox is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:30   #7
Ascendancy
Mobster
 
Ascendancy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,856
Well I haven't been IDed in about 2 years, but sod's law states that the one time I don't have ID...
Ascendancy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:36   #8
aslco
Mobster
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,775
I used my really old passport as ID for ages and that was when the photo was still of me as a kid!

aslco is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:37   #9
Coran
Gangster
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 212
You'll probably be fine but with the passport being expired it is not a legally valid form of ID. Just hope the bouncer isn't a git and make sure you don't get lippy or do anything else to annoy him.
Coran is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:39   #10
Ascendancy
Mobster
 
Ascendancy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozzick View Post
I used my really old passport as ID for ages and that was when the photo was still of me as a kid!
Yeah, my passport photo was taken when I was 12. Got long hair now and stuff, it's going to be a long shot haha.
Ascendancy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:45   #11
[TW]Fox
Man of Honour
 
[TW]Fox's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 148,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coran View Post
with the passport being expired it is not a legally valid form of ID
Your source for this?

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes.
[TW]Fox is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:48   #12
meghatronic
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: 38.744281N 104.846806W
Posts: 16,377
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...3102453AALLxQ7
meghatronic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:48   #13
uknowist
Wise Guy
 
uknowist's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Pub
Posts: 2,429
we use expired passports as proof where i work unless the passport has been cut on the edges


"It's an insane world, but I'm proud to be part of it"
uknowist is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:49   #14
johnny6
Wise Guy
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,747
Your hardly going to forge an expired passport though are you.

Depends on the place to be honest some do some don't.
johnny6 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:49   #15
fail at the internets
Mobster
 
fail at the internets's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Essex
Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghatronic View Post
Hardly a respectable source.
fail at the internets is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 20:50   #16
OpenToSuggestions
Capodecina
 
OpenToSuggestions's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Stoke On Trent
Posts: 10,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TW]Fox View Post

People who work doors are sometimes far from bright
Before now I have been ID'ed and then asked what year I was born, and how old would that make me.

1. 1988 plus 20 = 2008 is that really hard? (When they have my ID in their hand).
2. Your job is checking ages on the front door, SURELY you should actually know this.

Bouncers tend to smile at and flirt with the clearly 16yr old girls and let them in, then be a PITA and ID men.

A thick bouncer won't even notice your ID is out of date. I know people who use older siblings ID all the time when they were underage. A friend used someone elses ID and got the address WRONG and they were still allowed into the bar.

Remember, doormen are doormen usually because they aren't too bright.

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes
Last edited by OpenToSuggestions; 15th Nov 2008 at 21:03.
OpenToSuggestions is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 21:09   #17
J.B
Soldato
 
J.B's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 5,889
I imagine, especially if its busy, they will just look at the DOB and the picture and your face.


I love it - Z.
J.B is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 21:15   #18
meghatronic
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: 38.744281N 104.846806W
Posts: 16,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglover070588 View Post
Before now I have been ID'ed and then asked what year I was born, and how old would that make me.

1. 1988 plus 20 = 2008 is that really hard? (When they have my ID in their hand).
2. Your job is checking ages on the front door, SURELY you should actually know this.
That's to try and catch you out
Drunk people get confused easily if they're lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglover070588 View Post
Remember, doormen are doormen usually because they aren't too bright.
Well they outwitted you!

And the ones I worked with on C&R are quite bright. Most of them were educated and doing it as a second job.
meghatronic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 21:18   #19
ins0mn1ac
Soldato
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 5,723
To this day I still use my expired passport when I go out to town or whatever, so yeah its fine. My passport photo was taken when I was around 12, the girls love it!
ins0mn1ac is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 21:20   #20
OpenToSuggestions
Capodecina
 
OpenToSuggestions's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Stoke On Trent
Posts: 10,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghatronic View Post
Well they outwitted you!

And the ones I worked with on C&R are quite bright. Most of them were educated and doing it as a second job.
How did they outwitt me?
The ones in Hanley (Stoke) aren't bright

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes
OpenToSuggestions is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 21:26   #21
meghatronic
Capodecina
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: 38.744281N 104.846806W
Posts: 16,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglover070588 View Post
How did they outwitt me?
The ones in Hanley (Stoke) aren't bright
Well they confused you with the age thing.

BUT maybe stoke doorman are just thick

They do need at least one license with the SIA though, and the curriculum takes 30hrs to cover, costs about 500 out of their own pocket too.
meghatronic is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 22:04   #22
csmager
Soldato
 
csmager's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: London
Posts: 5,771
As Dara O'Briain said when told his ID was expired:

'Yeah.... but I'm still him'

'Touché'.
csmager is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 22:36   #23
dowie
Capodecina
 
dowie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 20,381
Haven't had this problem in clubs for a while - on the odd occasion I have been ID'd my response has been to lean forwards "mate, I'm going bald!" probably the only advantage of being a bit thin on top tbh....

On the issue of passports I had to pick up a new bank card from HSBC and my passport had expired the previous month - bank woman insisted it wasn't valid and that I'd have to come into the office to answer some questions - some people just point blank refuse to use any common sense - the picture was very clearly me and it wasn't like I'm 60 and using a passport from when I was 20 - I'm in my 27 and the passport had a pic from when I was 17!
dowie is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2008, 22:46   #24
ins0mn1ac
Soldato
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie View Post
Haven't had this problem in clubs for a while - on the odd occasion I have been ID'd my response has been to lean forwards "mate, I'm going bald!" probably the only advantage of being a bit thin on top tbh....

On the issue of passports I had to pick up a new bank card from HSBC and my passport had expired the previous month - bank woman insisted it wasn't valid and that I'd have to come into the office to answer some questions - some people just point blank refuse to use any common sense - the picture was very clearly me and it wasn't like I'm 60 and using a passport from when I was 20 - I'm in my 27 and the passport had a pic from when I was 17!
Yep a bank wont accept it as proof of ID, strange but I've had that problem too trying to withdraw from a savings account, had to answer like 20 questions instead.
ins0mn1ac is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 00:50   #25
Ascendancy
Mobster
 
Ascendancy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 2,856
Didn't get IDed, panic over
Ascendancy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 03:34   #26
Burnsy2023
Man of Honour
 
Burnsy2023's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 34,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coran View Post
the passport being expired it is not a legally valid form of ID.
That's a load of BS. There is no law saying what is a valid form of ID for entry to a drinking establishment. It is totally upto the management to what they do and don't accept. They would want a form of ID that isn't easily forged to prevent them getting into trouble with the authorities, but like I said, it's at their discretion.


Burnsy2023 [at] ocukdons [dot] co [dot] uk
Burnsy2023 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 04:04   #27
Energize
Caporegime
 
Energize's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 25,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
Yep a bank wont accept it as proof of ID, strange but I've had that problem too trying to withdraw from a savings account, had to answer like 20 questions instead.
I opened my bank account with an expired passport with a picture from when I was 11!

Intel 3570K @ 4.8GHz
Nvidia GTX 960 4GB
16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung 512GB SSD
Energize is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 04:26   #28
tom_e
Capodecina
 
tom_e's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: West mids
Posts: 20,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghatronic View Post
Well they confused you with the age thing.

BUT maybe stoke doorman are just thick

They do need at least one license with the SIA though, and the curriculum takes 30hrs to cover, costs about 500 out of their own pocket too.
200 for the course, and some people really love sterotyping im a doorman and me plus a good proportion of the other doormen i know are all uni students or have degrees.
It disgusts me when people look down on you purely for the job you do, if you come up to me all snotty because you think your special I'm going to make your life difficult and all the venues I know will not accept out of date passports as id because if you can't travel on them their not valid

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6
tom_e is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 05:12   #29
Matteysan
Soldato
 
Matteysan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Telford
Posts: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energize View Post
I opened my bank account with an expired passport with a picture from when I was 11!
Same here, Always use my expired passport as ID, never had a problem just people commenting on how young I look on it. My picture is from when I was 10 years old, I now have long hair compared to then

Matteysan is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2008, 16:00   #30
Killerkebab
Sgarrista
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Kent
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz2163 View Post
It disgusts me when people look down on you purely for the job you do, if you come up to me all snotty because you think your special I'm going to make your life difficult and all the venues I know will not accept out of date passports as id because if you can't travel on them their not valid
Lets face it, your peers in the profession are hardly forging the best reputation for it. If everyone looks down on your job there may be a good reason for that.

As for the passports, that depends on the venue. Since you're not trying to travel with them when you turn up to a bar, we can forget that argument

Expired passports should count as proof of age since as Fox rightly said, expiry has nothing to do with your age. Some places refuse them as policy, others don't. Other uses for expired passports (depending on the issuing country, of course) are for proof of citizenship or nationality

Killerkebab is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Overclockers UK (Ocuk Ltd)