• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Soldato
post your max stable clock including the settings e.g voltages, fsb, nb speed, htt speed and temps.. also make sure to run OCCT or prime95 or amd overdrive stability test and post a screenshot...

Last edited:
Associate
Well I clocked the 940 to 3.4Ghz and ran overdrive for an hour, went to about 65c though, but I'm using the supplied fan and than weak thermal paste so yeah...
I'll post some proper results when I buy a new fan and some paste!

Soldato
OP
Well I clocked the 940 to 3.4Ghz and ran overdrive for an hour, went to about 65c though, but I'm using the supplied fan and than weak thermal paste so yeah...
I'll post some proper results when I buy a new fan and some paste!
well amd site says the 940 max safe temp is 62c

Associate
Hmm I put on some new thermal paste, fan is still going at 6krpm and running idle at 50c+ :|
Must have done something stupid, I'll fiddle about with the heatsink tomorrow.

Is the heatsink meant to be too hot to touch if the cpu is 55-60c? It feels about 30c

Soldato
OP
now im at 3.7ghz and nb at 2.4ghz, stable!!! tbh i don't know if it's because i upped the nb voltage to 1.1875 V or cos i installed sp2 beta or cos i haven't installed amd overdrive. but before on same vcore it wasn't stable..

now im very pleased with it. also very good temps...

Last edited:
Associate
@gareth170,
Nice volts and temps :)

Another one for your collection, under water

x3OC1.gif

edit:
9h OCCT stable.

Make that 10h near enough :D

2009-02-24-12h48-CPU.GIF

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks mate

Soooo much to look at, not sure if I can be bothered to get involved in all that tweaking, maybe I'm getting old and if it works and serves its purpose then don't touch it.....lol

Associate
It does look daunting. The AMD Overdrive AutoClock looked to hold great promise, just click go and it cycles the important options for you. Such a shame it started to bail once the HT ref Clock (FSB) got above a certain level. Still, watch it for a few minutes to see what it does, it will give you some idea of the important parameters, there's only two or three to worry about, initially at least.

I had started a brief how to guide here but to be honest this one from Dolk, while work in progress, covers a lot more than I could ever do in a brief reply. He also covers air cooling, I've been under water for so long I've grown gills. Over to Dolk:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=596023

Edit

26 degrees at 3.8ghz?? do these chips just naturally run much cooler than intel ones?

That is idle, the OCCT trace shows a whopping 35DegC under 10 hours of full load ;)

It's water cooled :D

Last edited:
Associate
I know it's a bit off topic, but I've got a 9950 overclocked to 3.3GHz, and it berely hits 52 under load. Stock cooler and stock paste. I thought the Phenom II's were cooler? Cheers, Chris.

Soldato
They are much cooler.

But comparing your system to someone elses is difficult, you could have more fans, better case ventilation, better room ventilation, heating off, window open blah blah etc etc.

The Phenom is nowhere near as effecient as the Phenom II, the PII is on par if not better than any Intel chip clock-for-clock.

Soldato
OP
I know it's a bit off topic, but I've got a 9950 overclocked to 3.3GHz, and it berely hits 52 under load. Stock cooler and stock paste. I thought the Phenom II's were cooler? Cheers, Chris.
Phenom II's are cooler. example my 940 at 3.7ghz 1.46v, nb/ht t 2.4ghz, do 38c while gaming, using prime95 for 2 hours it goes to 49c. thats with a Thermalright Ultra-120A YS-TECH FD1225 120mm Fan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom