IOH Tempreature VERY hot hot hot, help..

Associate
x58 platinum motherboard with i7 920 cpu...

As I reported before, my IOH tempreature is very worryingly high, its always at 127c shortly after a cold start, I knew myself that 127c was very very high, and ive also noticed some games and things i play are crashing which i know for a fact is because the x58 (IOH)chip is burning hot @ 127c.

Today I have just figured out why its so hot, I had a look inside my computer and I noticed straight away that one of the fixtures thats meant to hold the IOH/x58 heatsink in place is missing, there should be two fixtures holding it in place, one on either side of the heatsink, but on mines i can clearly see one of them is missing.

I have looked inside my computer case for the fixture incase its came loose somehow but its not there, and I dont know where it is as this is the way the system was when i purchased it from the shop.

I have tried to get in touch with the shop I purchased the system from but they must have closed down or something, they dont have a website anymore and they'r phoneline is cut off too, looks to me as if the shop has gone bust and the owner has done a runner or something like that, the shop was called venom electronic and based in the Liverpool and stoke area in UK.

Anyway, now that I know why my IOH temperature is so hot (127c), I can hopefully get something done about it ??

To test and make sure this was what was causing this excessive tempreature I have tested this myself by simply running the system and keeping an eye on the IOH tempreature whilst pressing down firmly on the heatsink, when i say firmly i mean gently but firmly, and sure as can be the IOH tempreature starts to drop rapidly, so there we have the answer, missing fixture = high tempreature. (if you try this yourself be very very carefull not to touch any of the other electrical components while doing so otherwise you risk blowing your system or more importantly electricuting yourself).

So lets get some help here for me please if you can thanks :)

To start with, I dont even know what the technical name of these fixtures are, do you ??

If you look at the motherboard on this msi website you will see my motherboard >> http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1696&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=645 <<

You can clearly see the heatsink iam talking about, its the large lump of copper in the middle of the motherboard, it is fixed to the motherboard with two of these fixtures, one on either side of the heatsink, you can see one of them in that picture if you look closely.

After a closer inspection, I thought at first these fixtures were simply just normal metal screws or possibly a screw with a nut at the other side so that it could be tightened up, but after looking more closely i can see they dont look like screws, they look like some sort of spring loaded push in type of thing with plastic coating on the ends, I would guess the plastic coating is to protect the motherboard and the heatsink from damage ??

I have read on some forums that people have had great results by removing these fixtures and replacing them with special screws with a nut on the end so that they can tighten them down very firm for maximum thermal performance, but again I believe they used special types of screws and nuts coated with some kind of protective stuff, iam only guessing again, but I would imagine this is to protect the motherboard and heatsink so that the screws and nutz dont scratch the surface when they tighten up ???

Could I use standard metal screws with nuts on the end, do you know ?? or would that damage something ??

So that brings me to these questions, what are all these fixtures called that i refer to ? and where would i buy them from ? i would prefer to order them online as iam not the type of person to go and try and hunt down these things in shops etc, i hope someone can help me please ?

Sorry for that long message, But i needed to tell you in detail what was going on, thanks, iam very worried incase if i continue to use my system normally as iam doing now that this excessive heat might damage my motherboard or other components.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that is a slightly odd post, but it is Patricks day and perhaps I am struggling with reading.

I have a reading of that sort of magnitude under speedfan. Since silicon dies very fast above 120 degrees, I simply ignored it. That you found a heatsink that pressure on changed it surprises me.

However, you can remove the push-pin mounting system and replace with standard machine screws. Do not enlarge the hole in the motherboard, simply find a screw small enough to fit through. Put a paper or silicon washer between bolt and motherboard and you'll be fine.
Obviously, if not overclocking, ignore the temp reading and if it dies rma it.

Associate
OP
I think that is a slightly odd post, but it is Patricks day and perhaps I am struggling with reading.

I have a reading of that sort of magnitude under speedfan. Since silicon dies very fast above 120 degrees, I simply ignored it. That you found a heatsink that pressure on changed it surprises me.

However, you can remove the push-pin mounting system and replace with standard machine screws. Do not enlarge the hole in the motherboard, simply find a screw small enough to fit through. Put a paper or silicon washer between bolt and motherboard and you'll be fine.
Obviously, if not overclocking, ignore the temp reading and if it dies rma it.

it doesnt matter wether i overclock it or not, the IOH tempreature stays at 127c, as far as iam aware the maximum tempreature of the IOH is 100c, anyways, thats for another topic, i need to get this thing sorted (i hope :()

p.s
by the way, its an x58 platinum motherboard with i7 920 cpu...

Associate
OP
Heres a screenshot of the motherboard incase some people dont understand what heatsink iam talking about, this is from the motherboard manual on the msi website.

IOHheatsink.jpg

cje

cje

Associate
If the heatsink isn't on properly, RMA the board. If you do not RMA it, or correct the issue, it's gonna blow.

If 100 degrees is it's max, I'm surprised it hasn't shut down.

What program are you using to read the temperatures? You sure it's not 127 degrees fahrenheit and not celsius?

Associate
OP
If the heatsink isn't on properly, RMA the board. If you do not RMA it, or correct the issue, it's gonna blow.

If 100 degrees is it's max, I'm surprised it hasn't shut down.

What program are you using to read the temperatures? You sure it's not 127 degrees fahrenheit and not celsius?

says the tempreature in the bios mate and also in msi utility green power.

Back
Top Bottom