Does WPA2 security cause wireless internet connection to slow down?

Associate
Hi,

I have my wireless router connected with WPA2 settings, with wireless it reports excellent connection, but internet connection is painfully slow, If I connect a cable to the router internet browsing is faster.

I only have a 20mb broadband connection, and chose my Asus WL-500G due to its USB ports, and thought 54MBps would be enough anyway.

Is the WPA security known to slow down internet speed, any opinion on what to look at to get better internet speed?

Associate
Hi,

I have my wireless router connected with WPA2 settings, with wireless it reports excellent connection, but internet connection is painfully slow, If I connect a cable to the router internet browsing is faster.

I only have a 20mb broadband connection, and chose my Asus WL-500G due to its USB ports, and thought 54MBps would be enough anyway.

Is the WPA security known to slow down internet speed, any opinion on what to look at to get better internet speed?

The answer here, is possibly.

Firstly, despite your apparent "54Mbps" connection, you are lilkely to actually get a maximum thorughput value over your wireless network of upto 40%, or around 22Mbps, so in theory you get full download speed over your wireless network.

However, heavy security can add substantial overhead to your wireless signal, resulting in anything upto an additional 5% speed loss, thus taking you below the 20Mbps threshold.

This all depends on a number of factors, such as equipment used, interference, range from adaptor to router, line of sight, good placement ect ect ect.

However, in my own humble opinion, I'd rather lose a Mb or two to ensure I have good security on my network - otherwise someone else might be stealing 15Mbps of your download speed that you are paying for!

Back
Top Bottom